1.0 out of 5 stars Black screen after two months. Read the fine print in your warranty, August 17, 2009
This review is from: Samsung LN32B550 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color (Electronics)
2 months after receiving this TV the screen has gone black. Samsung instructed us to ship it to a service repair center and shipping is the responsibility of the customer. I called UPS and the cost to custom-pack a 32" televisions is 120 $. I called Samsung to request a box to ship it in and they re-iterated, shipping is the responsibility of the customer - but would send me a return label. So now we have an 800 $ television that's going to cost 120 $ to pack for warranty. We've only had it two months. I see from another reviewer that sending it Samsung is no guarantee the television will come back any time soon.

On a related note - up until 2008 Samsung's 32" televisions received free in-home repair service. As of 2009 32" is now considered "small" and must be shipped to the manufacturer for service.

Great TV just don't throw away the box and if it breaks take a deep breath and don't bother calling Samsung for sympathy.

Update September 17, 2009: It's been a month and we still don't have our TV back. We've called Samsung every week since they received it. Today we were told the replacement part would take too long to arrive and they would begin the process of approving a replacement television. This process entails Samsung repair shipping the TV to Samsung corporate. Once corporate receives the TV they can can process the replacement. If our TV is no longer available they will offer us something "comparable". This new phase should take "less than a month".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 27, 2009 10:40:24 PM PDT
I Love Greek says:
Thanks for the info. I just ordered this TV and will keep the box and packing materials and hope I don't need them.

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 7:23:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2009 11:28:50 AM PST
ANY UPDATES??????????

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 5:27:52 PM PST
T. McDermott says:
Hey buddy, thanks for the tip about keeping the box - please let us know how this ended - you need to press some PR buttons up the ladder at Samsung - we, the readers are sincerly interested in how this was resolved. Mac in Wisconsin.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 2:25:05 PM PDT
K. McKinney says:
I just ordered this TV and subsequently read your review. I contacted Samsung regarding their warranty program.
TV's 37" or larger are repaired in the home. TV's 27" and smaller must be returned to a Svc Cntr @ your expense.
The 32" TV must be returned to a Svc Cntr but Samsung pays the shipping cost. This is per "Alexis" a Samsung customer service rep. (I always get a name and ask them to repeat it). Not sure what happened in your case but I always get names or employee numbers and when necessary I use them like a weapon. It's tough for a company to "wiggle out of it" when you throw around their peoples names.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2010 4:37:52 PM PDT
Yes, please let us know how things went Shimone. Did they repair your original TV or did they ship you out a new unit?

Also, I always keep my empty boxes. I bought a Broksonic TV/VCR combo in 2004 and the empty box is still secreted in the back of my closet. Now it contains a smaller TV I bought last month. The morale of the story is always make use of things that you may or may not need to throw out. It's another form of recycling.

A. Nathaniel Wallace, Jr.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2010 11:45:46 PM PDT
In the end they sent me a new TV. As a bonus I now have 2 remotes since I didn't send any of the accessories back. I haven't had any trouble with the new one, in fact my parents purchased one on my recommendation. It's a shame their customer service didn't meet my expectations but otherwise I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Posted on Jun 16, 2010 3:22:38 PM PDT
Thank you for posting this review. One negative review about lack of support for a product is worth a thousand positive reviews.

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 5:30:53 AM PDT
Always keep all packaging material for at least till the warranty expires. Then it's still good to have in case you have to ship it somewhere or even sell it.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 9:59:52 AM PST
E. Abe says:
Well, I'm happy to hear that you had your issue fixed. My 32" TV just stopped working and the story is the same: send the TV in for repairs, from CA to NJ! The cheapest shipping method will cost $150 and I still need to pack it myself (I don't have the original box).

Personally I am very disappointed with Samsung, this is a well known design flaw and they offer in-home service repair for 37"+ TVs, but 32" are 2nd. class customers who have to pay for shipping plus all the hassle and wait time...

While the TV is good, it is not better than any of the similarly priced competitors so I would strongly advice anyone to stay away from Samsung especially if you are on the market for a 32" TV.

Cheers.