Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

1.0 out of 5 stars Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr Does NOT Equal Y Pb Pr, July 3, 2008
This review is from: Component A/V Cable for Playstation 2 (Video Game)
Component video cables for the PS2 are supposed to be hooked up to TVs that have Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr connections. Many newer TVs (like the ones I have) have Y Pb Pr connections. They LOOK the same. The manuals say that they're for component video. But there is one crucial difference. The Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr PS2 video output doesn't work in a Y Pb Pr TV! They mention this in the fine print of the PS2 manual but, as I found to my sorrow, it's easy to overlook.

Before you buy this (or any other) component video cable to hook your PS2 up with your HDTV check the connections on the HDTV. If it's Y Pb Pr it probably won't work.

Just to be clear, I DID change the video output of the PS2 from RGB to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr before connecting the cable to the TV. Did not work (on two different HDTVs that have Y Pb Pr connections)

The cable itself doesn't deserve a "1" rating. I'm almost sure that if you have a HDTV with Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr connections you'll love this cable. I just wish I could test it myself...

----------------- Update 12/2/2009 ----------

If you can't use component cables, S-Video works pretty well. You're much better off with S-Video than composite!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2009 2:53:35 PM PDT
sudosu says:
Well, based on this review, I didn't purchase this cable. (My monitor has Y Pb and Pr inputs) After some looking into it though, I bought a component cable. (The Phillips all-in-one component cable.) It works just fine for my PS2 (3001) model. I have heard (not sure if it's true) that the older models including the 3001 didn't support component output, but it's working fine. From what I understand Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr is simply an either/or reference. One can either have a Y Cb Cr cable OR a Y Pb Pr cable. Not sure about that PS2 manual, I guess you just have to try it like I did. It's a BIG difference from the old composite video.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2009 4:20:06 PM PDT
I found your review after my new HDTV said "No Signal" when this cable was attached. Hopefully others will read this as well if purchasing for a "Y Pb Pr" HD-set. Nevertheless, it does work on my 2003 component ready CRT TV. Thanks for the head's up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2009 4:20:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 13, 2009 4:21:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 9:14:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2010 9:17:13 AM PST
Oliver says:
This seems plain wrong. The PS2 settings menu lets you choose between the two types of component output, and you do need to set it to the one appropriate for your TV. But the cable doesn't convert one kind of signal to another--it just connects the TV to whatever is coming out of the PS2.

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 3:00:47 PM PST
I have a 2008 model Samsung LCD HD TV with a component (Y PB PR) connection and this component cable works just fine on the TV with my Sony PS 2 slim 2009 model (SCPH-90001). All I had to do, before I used this new cable, is set the PS 2 video settings to Y PB PR (NOT RGB). After reading this post here saying that this cable would not work with the newer LCD HD TVs, I was a little reluctant about buying it, but I thought I'd give it a try, because the component connection does improve the video quality quite a bit. It even states in the user manual for the PS 2 that this component cable will not work with the component connections on HD TVs. Not entirely accurate. I'm not saying that this cable will work for everyone. It just depends on what TV they have, but it is working for me, contrary to what the user manual says.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 8:45:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 9:07:25 AM PDT
V. Hoffman says:
I was also reluctant to buy this cable after seeing reviews like this one - my HDTV monitor is Y Pb Pr. But I decided for eight bucks it was worth a shot, and it's working (on my 90000 series slim ps2). I think I had to set the ps2 to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr _before_ switching to this cable, and once I switched the monitor input to component it's working fine. Does give an occasional "out of range" error but it seems to go away if I reset the ps2.

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 6:58:34 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 8:49:34 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 28, 2010 10:10:36 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 2:13:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2011 2:15:00 PM PST
goukix says:
My HDTV is also Y Pb Pr connection and this cable works fine for my first gen PS2; picture is amazing. Wire is also quite thick, definitely won't be worn out easily, very happy with my purchase! THIS CABLE WORKING IS TV DEPENDANT NOT THE CABLE

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 10:33:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2011 10:33:25 PM PST
V. Hoffman says:
Fyi - it's still working great on my own tv, and I actually took it home at Christmas for a better image playing games there with my brother. Worked fine on our mother's Bravia (I didn't think to check whether it said it was Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr or Y Pb Pr, though).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›