Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Crime stories from the British Court, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Rumpole Of The Bailey: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Rumpole fun. As English as Midsomer Murders. Crime after DCI Barnaby does the investigation? Rumpole is on the level of that other series. The Rumpole character made the career of the writer (John Mortimer, now deceased, died Jan.'09.) "Rumpole of The Bailey", a lasting 7-year TV series still gains new fans. A book, "A Rumpole Christmas" is a perfect companion to any Rumpole collection, even DVDs.

Rumpole episodes (42) are much more than court proceedings. It is mystery in revelations of events that led to the trials of criminals. It is also quite humorous. Touching moments, LOL moments, suspense, and quirky characters all blended so magnificently into the mysterious. Leo McKern is Rumpole...IS fantastically Rumpole. Cast is superb.

Each story is great in itself. They blend the courtroom drama and eclectic court characters with Horace Rumpole's investigative techniques even as he attempts to defend those who sometimes are the guilty, or at least appear so. He fights for the little guys, and his wife, Hilda (known to Rumpole as She Who Must Be Obeyed) keeps him cornered on the home front. You will get hooked on this lovable barrister (courtroom defender) who to the criminally retched is a sort of Robin Hood of The Bailey (criminal court). It takes a bit of time to understand the difference of legal terms, like barrister and solicitor, but you'll get it.

Rumpole is to the UK courtroom what DCI Barnaby is to crime investigation in "Midsomer Murders". Both bloody good fun dealing with the mystery and criminal element. Do the math, cost divided by episodes. This is one crime-comedy-caper-filled set you'll laugh through and all the way to the bank with your savings. Better; and only a tenth the cost of driving to a theater presentation.

Go ahead and put some fun in your courtroom experiences. Rumpole style is well worth it. You will be glad you purchased. After the Rumpole of The Bailey experience, if you've not had enough of British mystery and crime, I highly recommend ANY set of "Midsomer Murders." Nobody does mystery like the Brits. They put the jolly good FUN in criminal conFrUNtation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2011 4:29:35 AM PST
Was this remastered? How is the picture quality?

I have all the episodes (released previously on various DVD sets) and the mastering was sloppy to say the least. I don't need to rebuy if it's the same quality, but I'd love to know how this looks.

(I'm asking everyone who reviewed this so I can get at least one response).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 6:06:21 AM PST
Harold Wolf says:
Michael D. Kelley, about your remastering question;
I am no expert when it come to the techy stuff. Sorry. It looks fine to me, but then I'm 62 and with that comes sight problems. I'm just happy to see them, and enjoy the funny and entertaining story. I don't own a HUGE TV screen or the other fancier higher-tech image producing equipment. I hope this is not your only reply, since I'm not being much help.
Best I can offer is: this is a quality show, wonderful writing, acting, costuming, and I've enjoyed every episode, and they come in legion quantity, if not HD quality.
Good luck to your query, and God bless, Doc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 8:14:44 AM PST
Thanks, Doc.

I'm 60 myself, and have already written a rave review (about 20 years ago when it first came on DVD) so you're preaching to the choir. I loved this show when it was first on PBS, and continue to love even the crappy DVDs I have of it.

But I went ahead and ordered it -- at less than $40 for the set it was a steal even though I have all the other seasons separately (if nothing more I might give it to my grandkids when they are old enough to appreciate it. Then again, I may not live that long :>)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2011 2:34:32 PM PST
Harold Wolf says:
Good for you. So you're the ex-genius from Florida. I'm the clod-busting ex-teacher in Hoosierland Indiana. We could use a bit of warmth from the Florida sand sent our way today. Ta!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›