4.0 out of 5 stars Pay attention to age recommendations, October 13, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe 10-Piece Magnetic Fishing Game (Toy)
I have a 28 month old grandson. I wanted some new toys for him to play with at my house. I wanted something that would challenge him. He has several other things that I have seen him progress with skills while playing with them. I thought this one would be the same. First, he would learn to remove the pieces and eventually progress to putting the pieces back in. He came over and I got this puzzle out. It started out the way I thought it would. He figured out that he needed to put the magnet on the metal spots, which he did. As he took them out, we talked about the picture on the piece. He wasn't ready to replace the pieces, which was okay. That could come later. What I was not anticipating, but probably should have, was him draping the string around his neck. Talk about choking hazard. We stopped that activity and then he started waving the pole back and forth. We managed to take it away from him before he hit himself or someone else with the magnet on the end. The puzzle is now in the closet and we will wait until he is closer to or past 3 before getting it out again. I want to challenge him, but not at the risk of injuring him.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2010 4:13:36 PM PDT
WDEJ's Mom says:
Thank you for commenting that your grandson started waving the pole around!! I'm trying to find quiet toys for my almost 3 year old daughter for an upcoming flight, but one of her favorite things to do is lasso/twirl strings. It hadn't occurred to me that she'd be able to do that (and most definitely would!) with this particular toy, so THANK YOU for mentioning it! I'd prefer if the toys to keep her occupied on the plane wouldn't injure me!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 6:54:01 PM PDT
reg says:
Thank you. I hope my reviews are useful. My grandson is now 3 years, 3 months and it is still in a closet. We still find him draping things around his neck, so we don't want to risk him getting hurt. I tried to think of somethings we have found that would fill your needs, but I am drawing a blank. Good luck on your trip.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 12:26:31 PM PDT
K. McNett says:
My son did the same thing with this toy when we first got it! Aaaagh! The cord is only about 8 inches long but still he has a tiny neck. (He is a very skinny 26 month old.) I immediately told him never to wrap anything around his neck (or to swing the magnet around like a lasso!) and we make sure to watch him when he plays with this. If you are worried about the string, you can always tie a knot in the string to make it shorter and they can still use it to "fish." I feel it is sufficient for me to just put the rod away when I'm not watching.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 1:44:56 PM PDT
reg says:
Thanks for the suggestion of shortening the cord. Why didn't I think of that? I decided to put it away until he is old enough to resist putting it around his neck. He's now almost 4, so it would probably be okay now, but then there are the 22 month old twins. I think I'll just keep it in the closet.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 3:30:01 PM PDT
I hope shortening the cord will suffice :) He deserves to enjoy this great puzzle. Also, you said he was 28 months at the time you introduced it and the age recommendation is 36+ months...I'm sure he's ready now!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 7:59:08 PM PDT
reg says:
Thanks for your comments. My guy is 50 months now, but I still have it in the closet because the cousins behind him are 26 months. Also, the older one is still bad about draping stuff around his neck and swinging things. I'd rather not chance an accident happening.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 5:34:23 AM PST
La-Blythe says:
Interesting post. I sure understand the behavior of boys! I raised 2 of em and it seems they are "wrasslin" from the get-go!(heh) You've had this toy now for over 2 yrs and still no hope in sight for breaking this dusty toy outta your closet? Hmmmm, perhaps you should just go ahead and donate to... me! (grin) j/k!

I really am thinking about buying this toy for my granddaughter though. If she starts to wrap this cord around her neck...I WILL donate this game to a needy child. But only after I'm finished playing with it first! heh

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 7:16:33 PM PST
I wouldn't have even thought about that! Thanks for the review!

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 3:56:34 PM PDT
Thank you for this useful review. I am glad I read it.

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 1:15:14 AM PDT
CindyYC says:
I intended to open it when my 9-month old got older, but opened it for her 18-month old cousin to play with. Her cousin did start to swing the rod, and almost wrapped the cord around her neck, but we took the opportunity to teach her not to swing things around, especially near the baby. If she got too wild with it, we just took it away. I would recommend supervising your small children with the rod. With that said, the toy helped promote interaction between the two. The older one would "catch" the fish with the magnet, and let the younger with collect it off the magnet.

Since my baby started off too young without the motor skills to use the rod, she still had great use out of the puzzle itself. She enjoyed removing, collecting and holding onto the puzzle pieces. We introduced to her the names of the different marine animals, and would ask her to pick them out or find them. What I'd like to add to the thread is, if you're afraid the rod is too dangerous for your young child, you can just remove it from play, and let them play with the puzzle by itself. I hope this helps! :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›