Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Get These People, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Resident Evil: Retribution 3D (Two-Disc Combo: Blu-ray + UltraViolet Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I don't get the people who trash these movies. What are they expecting? The RE series has never been about superb storytelling, characterization, and acting. It's about style and excitement! And that's what these movies are: High-octane action movies for guys. Especially their inner 14-year olds.

People here spend a lot of time trashing the RE movies, and this movie in particular. Why? It delivers what I've come to expect here. Some awesome action sequences, an interesting (albeit completely nonsensical) storyline, and some really incredible cinematography. What else do you want? I submit that if that's not good enough for you, then you're just watching the wrong kind of movie.

Those who trash the story of Resident Evil: Retribution as "the worst of the lot", or whatever, need to go watch something else. It is what it is. I for one think it is excellent!

I like how the storylines of the movies continue from movie to movie, which each one ending in a cliffhanger. You never know what the next movie will bring! Yeah, the story is complete garbage. But that's what's enjoyable about it! Invite a few friends, have a beer, put your brain firmly in the "off position", and enjoy!

And there's a lot to enjoy here. The awesomeness that is Milla Jovovich cannot be denied. Sure, the character of Alice is weak, and in this movie, she turns into Ripley. But when she's killing zombies with a chain and pistol, it's so awesome I don't care. My brain says, "This sucks." My inner 14-year old says, "THIS IS AWESOME, DUDE!" That's what happens, man. If you want to enjoy it, you just have to surrender to the awesome.

The movie has a lot of interesting ideas. I also like that it took a lot of elements from the RE 4 video game, which I loved. Leon Kennedy is here, and so is Ada Wong. They both certainly look the part, although their characterization is actually STRONGER in the video game than in the movie! Here, they're just generic action heroes, but I'm okay with that.

Another cool element from RE 4 (the game) was the introduction of the Los Plagues (sp?) virus. A lot of people were confused by the zombie nazi's driving jeeps. But in the context of RE 4, this makes more sense. In that game, a small European village was taken over by the Los Plagues virus. It doesn't turn people into zombies exactly - rather it changes their insides to be like bugs and changes their minds. So they still can operate weapons and such. And some of them were clothed in military style uniforms, same as the game and movie. If you haven't played the game, then this doesn't make so much sense. I thought it was a pretty cool tie-in.

Another thing I am really liking about the this movie and also "Afterlife" is the 3D. The 3D in these movies is really well done. Out of all the 3D movies in my collection, those two movies probably have the best 3D of all, and that's really saying something. Again, it just shows how good these movies are when it comes to the cinematography.

So the final verdict? Resident Evil: Retribution is awesome! It is my favorite of all the RE movies so far. Those who say it is "the worst" just don't know what they're talking about. They're watching the wrong type of movie, expecting the wrong things. I watch these movies with only a few expectations: Excellent fight choreography, excellent cinematography, and an interesting story (that I don't expect will make sense). This movie delivers on ALL THREE of those. And it sets things up nicely for RE 6.

So don't listen to the haters. This is not Oscar-worthy material. It doesn't pretend to be. It is a mindless-junk action movie for the mindless-junk action movie lover's soul! And it totally rocks.

Peace!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2013 3:31:48 PM PST
I have to agree 250% with The Cool Guy... I read these comments before buying the DVD here and I have already seen it on IMAX 3D and it was by far the best of all the RE movies. As TCG pointed out, this movie series is about a damn video game which I don't even play. This is the type of movie for just pure insane action and seeing Milla in action which is never a bad thing. Needless to say, I have watched this DVD 3 times already in the span of 2 weeks and always tempted to watch it again. I look forward to the sequel to this one and never want this series to end while Milla and cast are featured in them. I have to thank TGC also for saving my hands from writing what he did so thanks for that.. This movie won't win best picture nor should it be considered to. If you like action, this movie carries that.. Hell, look at the Terminator movies, do you think people loved those movies b/c it would win best picture and that Arnold will win best actor? No, we watch for the pure action and adrenaline rush, period! I give RE:Retribution 5+ stars!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 6:31:34 AM PST
I enjoyed the movie too. Although, nothing makes action and peril more effective than caring about the characters. RE is and always is about the battle for humanity over corporate america and death. You can't get humanity across without achieving that in your actors. THIS movie was better than the others at getting that across... thanks to the deaf daughter.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2013 6:06:28 PM PST
I completely agree -- the deaf daughter was a genius stroke.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 4:15:41 AM PST
Paul Scott says:
All the Resident Evil films are first rate,don't listen to the negative reviews,there a waste of space...................

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 9:14:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 9:19:27 AM PST
@ the cool guy, i couldn't have said it any better myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the entire collection and thats not just for show, i've even turned my lady into a resident evil fan,she had never seen resident evil period,i said let me show you a sci-fi flick and see how you like it then go from there cause i have a total of 4 dvds of this series,and after the first resident evil she was sold we watched the next three that same night,and my lady is very picky,and loves the series went to the last movies of resident evils with me and made sure i ordered the dvd versions.I now have all of the dvds and have watched them more then i can count on my fingers lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 9:17:32 AM PST
i totaly agree i liked that they added her and how it played out, my lady became even more clue to the series because of the deaf daughter addition

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:17:54 AM PST
Robin says:
Yep, these movies aren't just for the dudes. I'm female and I've always loved me some Milla J. I'll watch about anything she's in, even sat through that awful alien abduction mess of a movie because she was in it (THE FOURTH KIND). Also recommend her in FACES IN THE CROWD. Put your brain on hold girls and enjoy the ride with the Resident Evils, they are a kick!

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 12:13:18 AM PDT
HEY COOL GUY , i totally agree with your review. okay , so Milla / Alice kicks the heck out of tons and tons of zombies. it's a movie , it's action packed. everyone of them. i thought i seen and thre it is. their making RE 6. ive seen all the sequels, but this is te first i heard about number 6. i'll give it 5 stars right now. as you stated , what's wrong with this people ? who the hell knows , but i hated seeing what i think was 2 stars the person gave it. PEOPLE , TRUST US. it's action after action. if you seen the first one go rent all the rest. there's always the possibility that one or two just dont meet your guide lines. we are all different and unfortulatley the person just didnt like it. all the SAW movies got 1 star or 1 1/2 stars off cable and i dont know who does that , but i love horror , i thought it was a very well thought of a movie. it was unique how each one was played. 2 thubs up cool guy.....don barajas. quick note: im sure u seen ultraviolet. did you check out her waist when milla was in the white outfit ? wooooooooooooow. see ya

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 6:57:47 PM PDT
I loved your review of Resident Evil: Retribution and I 100% agree with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2013 12:30:47 PM PDT
whats86 says:
Completely agree. So tired of all the hate that RE movies get. If you don't like it, don't watch it! They're obviously not going to be Oscar-winning, but that doesn't mean they aren't damn good action movies.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›