Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, August 23, 2007
This review is from: Bioshock - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I have been an avid PC and console gamer for...well, as long as there have been PC and console games, and have probably played hundreds of the darn things over the last two decades, and I can comfortably say, that Bioshock, is one of the top two or three games I have ever played, and absolutely the best console game.

It's one of those rare games, that has all of what you love about a great game, with none of what annoys you. I realized, after about 10 hours of play, that absolutley nothing was ticking me off. If there was ever a game that got everything right, it's Bioshock.

Normally, you hear much about a shooter having an "absorbing story", and you're just like: "yeah, yeah, just shut up and let me shoot you". But Bioshock, actually does. The bleak, dystopian world scenario is hardly new in gaming, but Bioshock puts a great twist on things; and the art-deco 1940's sci-fi world is very refreshing and incredibly rendered. If you are as sick as I am of endless hallways filled with crates, you are in for a helluva treat. Not only does this game look amazing, but the design is so good, and so original, that it really does "absorb" you.

The biggest suprise to me, was level of literacy, and period detail. This game wasn't really designed for modern kids, and certainly wasn't designed by one. The villian, an obvious nod to conceptual novelist Ayn Rand, ends up being more complex than the average "evil rich corporate Republican" guy we're all so sick of by now, and not only is the voice acting a-list quality, but they even speak pretty authentic 1940's dialogue, with accurate period inflection. If you watch an old movie from the 40's you'll notice that not only was the slang and colloquial language different, but so was the actual style of speech. The characters in Bioshock don't sound like modern mallrats in seersucker suits, they sound like people from the 40's. The sense of period is very accurate, moreso than most Hollywood films (although a "German" lady character has a very obiously Russian accent lol).

Even the shooting, was fabulously fun. When I first started playing, I thought "oh no..shooting old revolvers isn't fun." But don't forget, even though Bioshock takes place in the 40's, it's still a sci-fi what-if adventure, and the assortment of weapons are a gas to use. And "adventure" is really accurate. Even though it's an FPS with a fair amount of bloody shooting, it really feels and plays more like an old Sierra adventure game than a Quake-style shooter. The plot matters in this game, unlike many others, and you spend more time exploring the amazing world and solving puzzles than actually shooting, so consider that a mild warning if you are a shooting "rivethead".

Bioshock is a very long game, but it was so addicting, that I played it almost non-stop for 4 days and finished it. I actually just rented it, because normally games that are centered on plot don't have a lot of replay value for me, but this one I can imagine playing over and over, so the lack of multi-player doesnt really matter to me here. I'll be buying this sucker as soon as payday hits.

In short, the hype around Bioshock is no hype. This game even killed Half-life and Halo for me, and that's saying a lot. Halo3 is going to have a helluva climb to even get near Bioshock, and i never thought I'd say that.

To wrap-up, even though much of Bioshock's conceptual nods and references will probably sail over the heads of most modern teen gamers, it won't matter a darn. They'll be to busy being knocked out by the best visual world and gameplay mechanics I've ever seen.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2007 11:41:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2007 11:55:22 PM PDT
Ikihi says:
This game doesn't take place in the 40's; it takes place around 1959-1960.
However, the city is made from materials from the WWII era. Thats why the game has a 1940's feel to it.
But, as I stated above, the game takes place about 20 years later in 1959-1960.

Posted on Aug 27, 2007 10:45:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2007 7:55:43 AM PDT
GEN Malaise says:
One of the best reviews I've read for this game, good job!

Also, the comment about "hallways filled with crates" really stuck because crates seem to be such an annoyingly overused staple of FPSs. I'm 7 hours into B-shock and haven't seen one yet.

Suitcases, trash cans, strong boxes, registers, yes, things that actually make sense and are realistically placed, but no crates.

Edit: Finally saw a crate, but it was in a warehouse, which *still* makes sence, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2007 10:45:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2007 10:46:20 AM PDT
pattic says:
Hi! Yes, you are quite right, I had forgotten that you were exploring a city built in the 40's after it's fall. On the subject though, I noticed everyone describing Bioshock as "steampunk". Well that's obviously not accurate. The "steam" in steampunk refers to the Victorian era when the world was steam powered. The 1940's were certainly well past the steam era, no less the 60's lol.

Posted on Sep 9, 2007 9:14:53 AM PDT
Kudos on a great review. I was going to write one myself, but you summed it up perfectly. This game really does pull you in... even the level design causes you to want to explore everywhere and sit in eager anticipation of what is around the next corner. I never got the feeling that I was "supposed" to be somewhere at a certain time... Great game. Great review.

Posted on Sep 13, 2007 11:27:05 PM PDT
Live Player says:
Just a heads up but the german girl has a russian accent because she is russian it sais so in the story. She just grew up in a german prison camp.

Posted on Sep 19, 2007 8:39:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2007 8:35:45 AM PDT
M. Steele says:
I have very little free time, so I finally finished the game last night. I work full-time while working on a Master's. For study breaks, I have played this game, and it is excellent. I was not impressed in the early stages, but I thought the medical pavillion got interesting. Beyond that, everything just accelerated for intensity. The ending is phenomenal. I don't want to spoil it for others who haven't gotten there yet. I really like the story ending. Plus in my family structure I was always the big, older brother/cousin/uncle who had to protect much younger female cousins or sisters. So the game hit home for me in terms of my own life. However, I learned there are three endings depending on whether if you harvested adam from the girl or chose to save her. I always chose the latter, and the ending for that scenario is the only one I want to see. The others are brutal.

Posted on Jan 2, 2008 1:07:45 AM PST
Jesse says:
Great review, I was looking into buying this game, Now I definitely will be getting it, sounds great.

Posted on Jan 29, 2008 6:27:54 AM PST
Mike S says:
A good thorough review. I want to download the demo for this and check it out for myself.

Posted on Mar 12, 2008 1:12:36 PM PDT
Chonto says:
Hi dude! thanx for that review. I just have a question: how about the experience online? can you tell us? thanx again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2008 8:36:49 AM PDT
T. Lau says:
Well. There is NO Multiplayer Online available for Bioshock, none whatsoever. No kidding.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›