1.0 out of 5 stars Well, what did we expect?, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels) (Hardcover)
CONTAINS SPOILERS~

I think this pretty much sums up how I feel about the book: I just finished reading it a few hours ago and I can't really remember what happened. In fact, the entire series has become something that I don't really remember. The first books were so good, they drew me in, they made me read nonstop for days to catch up on the series. And now here we are at 18 and I almost had to MAKE myself sit down and read it. I probably wouldn't have finished it at all if I didn't have a friend that was waiting to talk about it with me. It was 300 pages of nothing, or more accurately, 300 pages of the SAME thing, just surprisingly more boring the 18th time around. More Stephanie being outsmarted by idiot criminals (that is one thing I do remember. She let that guy steal her car AT LEAST THREE TIMES, are you kidding me with this? Yes, please bring your bag to the door again, it's not like the purse snatcher is going to snatch it again), more flip-flopping between men (I have nothing against women taking charge of their sex lives and sleeping with who they want but when you're acting like you need to choose one, but continue to string along both? I don't know how they haven't both dumped her yet), even less character development than ever thought possible (although I'm surprised she actually managed to fend off that guy in the parking garage. I literally did not believe it when I first read it. Snaps for you, Ms. Plum) and none of that realness that drew me in in the beginning.

I know that I shouldn't expect literary masterpieces, but the beginning of this series was so good that it set high standards. Standards that are not being met anymore. How long does she honestly think she can drag these on for? I've come across very few positive reviews for the last few books. I find myself wanting the series to end just so I can have some closure, because we all know Stephanie will never choose between Ranger and Morelli until the last book. The love triangle worked out really well for the first few books but it's now years later and it's getting old. I don't even understand how Stephanie has managed to string along these two guys for this long. What is it they see in her? I wish they'd both move on. This series should end with Stephanie alone because they finally came to their senses and moved on to women that wouldn't toy with them without choosing one of them to stick with for 18 years.

Which brings me to another problem I have with this book. There's no more passion. No more emotion. Everything went by so fast, yet somehow dragged on forever. They made such a big deal out of Hawaii and then she took one paragraph to finally explain it? The Hawaii story alone would have made a better book than this stupid photograph business. Sometimes I have to wonder if Janet is even writing these books anymore. My friend and I have more fun listing all the facts that are wrong in the book than we do reading it. In the first few books, Stephanie was so alive, so real. She could have been any one of us, any one of our friends. Now she feels dull, one-dimensional. The writer has disconnected from her and because of that, so has the reader. I guess this is what happens when the pay check is more important to the author than the characters are.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2012 5:23:07 AM PST
I have to comment on one point that seems to be repeated. Just because there are 18 books, averaging one a year, does not mean that is the same timeline in Stephanie/Morelli/Ranger's story. Using that filter, I am still hooked on these books and do NOT wish to see them end. I did have some laugh out loud moments and am glad I read the book and ignored the reviews.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:41:50 PM PST
W. Smith says:
You said it! "There is no more passion. No more emotion." - my thought exactly.

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 12:04:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2013 12:05:01 PM PDT
Wolf says:
Have the last few books really been written by the same author as the first dozen or so? In all honesty it really feels like someone else is ghost-writing the last books. I know that some series continue with a new author (and without letting readers know in advance). Is that the situation here? I question the authoring of this book and feel that readers should be told the truth.

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 6:36:29 AM PDT
A.G.S. says:
I really appreciate this review. I gave up early on in the series and when I saw this book go on sale, I thought I'd pop in and see if things were finally wrapping up. It doesn't appear that I have missed anything! All the same characters I recall from before are still doing the same things, learning nothing. It's really disappointing when a series doesn't evolve much... or at all, from the sounds of it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›