3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great. Read Update, May 20, 2011
This review is from: Brother MFC-9970CDW Color Laser All-in-One with Wireless Networking and Duplex (Office Product)
I have two other Brother printers. One is an all-in-one inkjet and the other is a black and white laser printer. I've been happy with both of them and never had any problems. They did a fairly good job, but I wanted something a little better and thought a color laser printer would be the way to go.

This Brother MFC-9970CDW has good and bad points. First, the black printed letters are crisp and sharp. However, the color photos are only slightly above average in quality. Plus, there is some slight banding (lines) on solid prints. The banding is not too bad and hardly noticeable, but it should not do that. And I have tried everything the manual said to correct the problem, but nothing helped. Anyway, I can live with it.

The biggest complaint I have is the curling of the paper. Another reviewer is correct. The heavier weight the paper, the more severe the curling.

The speed for duplex printing is 6 pages in 1 minute and that is with plain text on one side and a map on the other side. Don't get fooled by the claims of fast printing under everyday normal conditions. In contrast, the scanner is extremely fast.

The OCR software with plain text is very accurate. Hand written text is another story and problematic at best. But then, that is to be expected.

Wireless setup was easy. The printer recognized the network then I just had to install the driver on my PC.

This printer can pull through heavy stock paper and the duplex printing is a real time saver. Plus, overall the printer does a fairly good job. However, if paper curl bothers you, then stay away from this printer.

Update on the page curling.
I discovered a way to help undue the severe curling caused by this printer. First take all of your blank paper out of the tray. Then place your printed curled paper FACE UP in the feed tray. Don't use more than about 50 pages at a time. And make sure the green sliding paper guide with 2 little hooks is in place on the end of the paper. This is necessary to hold the paper in place so the printer can pick up the sheets. Then launch a word processor. Tap the spacebar to fool the printer into thinking there is something to print. Set the number of pages to print, then tap print. After the paper runs through, the paper will curl in the other direction, but not as stiff. Take the paper in both hands and gently roll the curled ends back to straighten it. The result will be a nearly flat paper. Sounds like a lot of steps. But, try it and you'll find it only takes a matter of seconds to correct that terrible paper curl.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2011 6:17:05 PM PST
Torrealta says:
Now, this is a helpful comment!

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 10:07:37 AM PDT
Wow! That is a helpful review!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 1:35:16 AM PDT
Anomaly says:
Nice review and an innovative solution to an annoying problem. But seriously, who wants this headache from a printer.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 7:21:43 PM PST
I have two other Brother Laser Printers and the paper curls from both of them. I turn the paper curl side down as soon as the docs come off the printer and let the paper cool and that usually, not always but usually helps a lot. I'll try your suggestion too. I print a lot of documents each week and needed a second duplex/dual tray printer and I really couldn't go wrong with the price of this one and I have had a lot of great use of the other two.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 3:11:21 PM PST
There is an option under the "Advanced" tab, bottom right "Other Print Options" to reduce paper curl. It does actually work fairly good at reducing the curl.

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 9:59:36 AM PDT
Jenny Masuda says:
So appreciate lucid reviews which are precise and enlightening. Thanks!

Posted on May 19, 2013 7:14:58 AM PDT
L. Tesler says:
When I use Hammermill Laser Print Copy/Laser Paper, 98 Brightness, 24lb, Letter Size (8.5 x 11), White, 500 Sheets (10460-4), which Brother recommends, my Brother MFC9560cdw Color Laser All-in-One with Wireless Networking and Duplex rarely curls the paper. When it does, I immediately "roll out" the curl--see my comment on the 9560 review titled "Paper Curl Problem" and dated "February 17, 2011". If/when the paper curls again, I may try the additional trick Dell suggests.

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 7:41:14 PM PST
J. Swanson says:
Full disclosure - I don't own this printer yet (I'm buying it today) and haven't used it. I'm not trying to dismiss curling issues I'm simply trying to add some perspective from my past experience with laser printers and toner based copy machines. I found D. Dell's feedback quite helpful and I appreciate the feedback.

Earlier in my life, I worked at Kinko's for more than 2 years and paper curling was something we had to deal with on numerous occasions. The problem is most often caused by the path the paper takes through the machine (i.e. from the paper tray to the fuser roller the path the paper takes is too severe to prevent curl....in other words, the rollers inside the printer bend the paper too much and curl results). To combat this, many printer manufacturers offer a "manual feed tray" and if you look at the path through the printer, these are very often more direct and create less curl in the paper. If you find too much curl, this should be your first place to try and eliminate it.....I know it's not as efficient as the tray but it might completely eliminate the curl for heavier paper stock.

However, I don't know if this printer offers such an option.

Also that's not the only cause of curling.

Sometimes the curling can be caused by the "grain" of the paper. I never knew about grain and the best way to illustrate it is to open a brand new ream of paper say 20# bond or plain old copy paper. Pull out 10 sheets, turn them over then put them back on top of the rest of the ream. Then go away for a few hours or days but usually after a few days, you'll notice the 10 pages curling one way and the rest of the ream curling the other way. This is due to the grain of the paper and many people don't know about it.

Knowing the grain of your paper is also difficult to determine because of how most people restock their paper. We pull out too many sheets from the ream for the tray. We then fill up the tray and don't pay attention to the way we pulled the paper so we just place the remaining paper back on top of the stack. Do this enough times and the grain get's really messed up.

To combat the grain issue at Kinko's we would print 1 test page and check the curl. If it was too much, we would flip the paper along the long edge and reprint the test page. Very often this would remove the curl. Sometimes it wouldn't and we would need to then simply flip it along the short edge and that would often eliminate it. However, there were still other times we couldn't get around curling and would resort to a brand new ream of paper and slowly try to eliminate it as much as possible by using these tricks.

Grain and path aren't the only causes of paper curl and very often, during humid weather we would find that our paper curled far more often than it should. Humidity more often causes blank spots to appear on the page as the toner is "steamed" off of the page as the paper rolls through the fuser roller. But it can also cause curl and should not be quickly dismissed as a cause.

Anyways, I know how frustrating curl can be and I like D. Dell's suggestion of putting the paper in the printer and printing a blank space to "reverse" the curl. I've had to do this trick many times and it's one trick we used at Kinko's but that was more as a last resort.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 9:00:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2013 9:04:30 PM PST
J. Linderer says:
You need to know why paper curls. When paper is made, it goes onto a roll. When you print with a laser printer, you drive the moisture out of the paper and it goes back to its natural curl it had from the roll. If you examine the paper and see which way the natural curl goes, you can feed it so the natural curl is is opposite of the roller induced curl. That should help some. Paper fresh out of a wrapped package will curl more than paper that has been allowed to aclimate to the room temperature and humidity (usually overnight).

Also, some laser printers give you a choice of two DELIVERY trays. One of those deliveries will either bend the paper more or tend to reduce the curl. Experiment to see which is best. That said, yes, some lasers will induce more curl than others and certainly some paper curls more than others...particularly cheap paper.

The guy above pretty much nailed it. I ran a printing and office supply for over 30 years. One note, some people pay a 'click' charge for service and/or supples. Running blank sheets through will cost ya. I suspect it has some affect on the longevity of your supplies as well, even though you wouldn't think you are using any on a blank sheet.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 10:00:38 AM PST
lc116235 says:
I've just purchase a MFC9970 printer and I unable to get it to recognize any USB device that I plug into it...The USB Sandisk device is recognized when I plug it into my computer, but when trying to plug it into the MFC9970 printer...it gives the message "device not recognized"...Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, how did you correct this issue...

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance