1.0 out of 5 stars consider the after costs when buying an Epson, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Epson Expression Home XP-400 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible (C11CC07201) (Office Product)
One thing often overlooked when buying a printer is the cost of keeping the thing going once purchased. Research is done, reviews are read, and naturally the focus is on the quality of print, functions, reliability, etc. Often questions like "how long will my ink last and how much will it cost to replace it ?" are forgotten. In my opinion this is a big mistake as the actual cost of buying the printer turns out to be minimal compared to the amount that you will spend over the years on ink replacement. The manufacturers know that once you have their printer they have effectively 'got you', basically they can charge astronomical amounts for replacing ink because you have no choice but to buy it. That is why companies (like Epson) make there printers very sensitive to other makes of ink, they know that ink can be produced at a fraction of the cost but want to ensure that you have to buy from them. I can't speak for other makes of printers but this has certainly been the case with my Epson printer and I would never buy anything from Epson again. The ink cartridges only last a short time and to replace are very expensive, even on Amazon. A couple of other negative practices are firstly; a lot of their printers will not work if just one of their cartridges runs out. So for example if your 'Cyan' runs out it may not matter too much as you only want to print in black & white. Unfortunately the printer won't let you just use the black ink until you have replaced the other colour. Secondly, and in my opinion the most scandalous; when you purchase an Epson printer it will (as it states) come with ink. What you don't realise however is that the ink cartridges are specially made and only contain a tiny amount of ink just to get you started. So you are almost immediately digging your hands in your pockets and giving them more money. This kind of sums up where Epson are in relation to their customers, although I suspect other manufacturers are working along the same lines. And there is no law against them doing this, or no regulations for them to state ink cartridge costs or how long they last. My advice would be as follows; avoid buying an Epson, include the aforementioned aspects when doing your buying a printer research and finally, printer owners should use 'word of mouth' to bring into the open the hidden costs of running their printers be it positive or negative. Only that way, when reputations are being affected, will the companies stop using their customers as 'Cash Cows'.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 10:51:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 10:53:16 AM PST
Well I'm confused. You're comments about ink costs are exactly the concerns that I have been trying to get to the bottom of before purchasing my next computer. My current, non functioning HP fits your description of coming with "trial" sized cartridges of ink. The standard sized cartridges are expensive to replace. I have bought bulk ink to refill the standard cartridges and the subsequent print quality is good. But somehow the HP printer knows I am using bulk ink and keeps giving me "product usage warnings", which I ignore. Finally it gave me a error code that it won't let me get around w/o replacing the ink pump? Really!? That's the last straw with HP. What a racket. But when I look at this Epson product (XP-400)it at least states "standard" cartridges in its new purchase package, and the print cartridge costs are a fraction of the HP's. But your review of the Epson sounds more like my experience with the HP - hence my confusion. Any thoughts on how I can sort out this conundrum? Epson Expression Home XP-400 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible (C11CC07201)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:49:34 AM PST
G. H. Hardy says:
By now it should be well-known that printers are almost "given" away and that the real money is in disposables, e.g., ink. I knew that when I bought this unit so I have no excuse to whine, bitch, moan and complain that I'm being taken advantage of.

In this regard, Epson is no better and no worse than any other similar printer on the market.

Let the buyer beware or at least do a little more research

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 2:32:16 PM PST
Mr. Becker is right on. When I tried to use a non-HP cartridge, it would not print so I gave up and paid $35 for an HP one. But - it still will not print and keeps giving me notice that I am not using an HP cartridge. From what I am reading on reviews for this Epson, it will allow you to use compatible cartridges.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 12:29:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:29:43 PM PST
gunngirl says:
This is no different than any other printer. We all know by the now their racket, it's hard to avoid with any of them other than not buying a printer and for those who can, print at work, as I do in my office. I don't use a printer a lot, but I would like to have one when I need it for my own personal use at home. For me, I want it to last more than 6 months. I had an HP that broke, went through it all to get it replaced, within months that was broken. I was done with customer service and just tossed it. I'm TIRED of printers not even lasting a year when I use it once a month. The ink cost is ridiculous, but I really want a printer that I'm not replacing every year.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 2:55:30 PM PST
From reading this comment, I see nothing about the specific printer. Did you actually try this particular printer, or are you just dissing Epson? Your comment/rant seems more applicable to HP ink cartridges.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 5:52:17 AM PST
T. Dean says:

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 3:50:29 AM PST
I agree 1005 with this review. I am having to buy a cartridge a week! The yield for the regular black cartridge is claimed to be 175 pages. I don't print anywhere near that amount of pages and this past week, I had to replace three of the color cartridges. I am going to lodge a formal complaint against Staples, where I purchased the Epson x-400 and with Epson itself. I have never been so disssatisfied with an electronic product as I am with this printer. I feel absolutely black-mailed by my purchase regarding the need to constantly replace ink cartridges, because I am basically unable to have ordinary use of a printer without weekly trips to Staples. Also, I am upset that Epson does not have a toll-free tech support phone number and is closed on Sundays. So you have to pay for any tech support call and cannot obtain support on Sundays.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 3:36:58 PM PST
Swimslaps says:
Of course the printers not expensive. They make their money selling ink. If tech service was great, I wouldn't mind.

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 12:44:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 12:46:27 PM PDT
K. Yancy says:
Same experience here.

Nice printer and reviews were good. Bought it to replace a Kodak 5200 series after second print head failure, but have noticed that even when printing primarily just b/w output it still drains color cartridges. I was furious when my Daughter was trying to print an assignment for school that was *just a Word doc* no colors, no images, just text, yet the printer refused to print because the magenta cart was deemed to be empty!!!! I just wanted to print some text. geesh...

People have flamed the Kodak printers, but have to say when print head wasnt failing, my 5200 series was *great* with the ink. This one most def is not! Sorry to see Kodak give up as opposed to refining their designs. My Wife who is a Teacher an prints nearly constantly, is still begging me to bring the Kodak 5200 back from the dead which tells you something.

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 3:02:43 PM PDT
knomies says:
Why do you have the same exact review for 11 different printers. Is this a cut and paste job because you don't like Epson?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›