1.0 out of 5 stars Sticky Mistake, June 11, 2011
This review is from: Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the Best Leather Conditioner Since 1968, 8 Oz Bottle. For Use on Leather Apparel, Furniture, Auto Interiors, Shoes, Bags and Accessories. Non-Toxic and Made in the USA! (Automotive)
Like most buyers, I rely heavily on reviews when purchasing products and have never been lead so astray. Product is a little disconcerting when applying...it looks and feels like you're smearing honey on your expensive leather goods. After getting over the initial experience of smearing the conditioner on my new leather couch, the product does brighten and moisturize the leather, but it definitely does leave a residue. Applied to my couch and waited 12 hours and wiped off remaining material with clean, dry cloth. When I sat down, I could feel a sticky residue. I let it sit for another 12 hours, got another clean cloth and buffed some more with minor improvements. Only after the 3rd cleaning have I been able to get most of the residue off.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 2, 2012 11:03:01 AM PST
W. P. Voltz says:
I feel the same way. It is great for leather but is definitely a high-maintenance conditioner. Good for a purse or an out-of-the way chair that you might not need to sit on for a day or two, but a very bad choice for a couch. It doesn't spread, it attracts lint and it costs A LOT! I'm going back to another, cheaper product I used that seemed to have pretty much the same conditioning effect for 1/4 of the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 7:18:04 PM PST
Hi... Thanks for your followup, but what is the "another, cheaper product" you like?

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 5:34:02 AM PST
BILLY says:
I agree with this reviewer 100% I also read all feedbacks & bought this product & found the exact same results & put the bottle in the trash.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 9:17:10 PM PST
metaluna00 says:
The best I've used is Angelus Leather balm. I use it on all of my expensive bags and it cleans and conditions. All Angelus products are excellent and their customer service is too. I've called them several times for advice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 10:55:21 PM PDT
Try urad.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 11:58:14 AM PDT
S. Dang says:
My results concur with this reviewers findings..

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 12:01:48 PM PDT
tatalah says:
Lexo sure worked great on my baseball gloves when I was a kid. My wife loved it for her saddles. Hide Food/Hide Care by Connoly is great but also expensive. I have beentold by an upholsterer that since leather is dead skin applying conditioners is a waste of time.

Posted on May 14, 2012 9:20:44 AM PDT
Li Ny says:
I had a similar experience and discovered that my couch had a "sealer" of it's own which prevented the conditioner from penetrating. Only my couch had this problem...
I have used it on many other leather items and it is 100% absorbed, never have to wipe it off. Seems to sink in totally. Very old dry items I have applied it over and over again to saturate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 8:18:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 8:39:39 AM PDT
NYC Cobbler says:
Many leather goods have a leather finish that seals out moisture. This is great if you were to spill wine or other damaging liquids, since it repels moisture, preventing stains. However, using any leather conditioner over waterproofed finishes will have disappointing results. Just like the spilled wine, conditioners will be blocked from penetrating into the leather pores, leaving a residue. It might be sticky, waxy, or slick, depending on the conditioner used. The more substantial and viscous compounds that may perform wonderfully on absorbent leather is greatly handicapped when applied over waterproofed finishes. It is a waste to apply any conditioner over sealed leather, since nothing can permeate it until that layer starts chipping or cracking, exposing the absorbent leather. It would be like trying to feed someone encased in plastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 9:19:35 AM PDT
FlyboyTR says:
That being said... has anyone found a good way to remove the residue? I treated a used leather sofa that must have had a finish. It has been over 2 months and I have been unable to remove the residue. I have now resorted to dawn dish liquid but have had no luck.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›