5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the last! (In a way!), June 5, 2012
This review is from: Insurgent (Divergent) (Hardcover)
Given that I never reviewed Divergent on this blog, I should probably mention that I LOVE THAT BOOK. I love it. Love. Lovelovelove. Which, honestly, is what makes this review so hard to write.

How in the world do I not make it all gibberish in CAPS lock?

I know that reviews have been mixed on whether or not this is better than Divergent, and honestly I think that's because Divergent and Insurgent are two very different types of books. It's really hard for me to explain it, but-having reread Divergent directly before diving into this one-I FELT it. Depending on your preference, that's going to influence a lot of opinions.

Personally, I felt that Insurgent was even better. For me, Divergent was a lot like all those other dystopian books where there is this world and it's falling apart and there is this person that's different and is having all this self discovery out of a community of sameness and all that jazz. There's nothing WRONG with that, and I did think the book was fantastic and a cut above all the over books like that, but Insurgent really set it above the bar for me.

In absolutely no way does this book fall prey to second book syndrome. It DOESN'T STOP MOVING. Ever. In the good way. Also a literally way. Tris is traveling all over the place, and I liked being able to see more of the other factions. I loved the suspense underlying everything, because no one's allegiances were clear and even people I thought I understood came back to surprise me. Every character was diverse and round. A lot of questions were answered, but of course even bigger ones were posed. Basically, I'm pretty sure this book is everything people could have wanted it to be.

Well, maybe that's not true. There is the lack of Four/Tobias and Tris romance scenes. I understand some people didn't like the fact that they were at odds for a lot of the book. I ... loved it, actually. See, here's the thing: Tobias and Tris are a real couple. They are in a real, deadly situation and they haven't known each other for all that long. I love how Tris admits that she has never really seen Tobias outside of one environment, and I love how they take the time to grow together and really trust each other. This couple is REAL. So there was a lack of kissing scenes. *I* wanted to kiss Veronica Roth for giving me REAL romance. (Okay, not really. But a tackle-hug would work.)

To be honest, unless this book has been absolutely horrible, Insurgent already had an automatic five stars from me. There are very few series right now where my inner editor shuts off and I just enjoy the ride, and the Divergent series is one of those. They are action packed, have hints of humor and they are refreshingly REAL. I trust Roth's world building, I enjoy her characters and I believe in her plot. There aren't many authors who give me that trifecta.

Excuse me for a moment while my inner crazy fan girl comes out: VERONICA ROTH I COULD KILL YOU FOR THAT ENDING OHMYGOD HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TALK ABOUT A CLIFFHANGER OHMYGOOOOOOOD.

Ahem.

Now, onto the big question: WHEN CAN I HAVE THE NEXT ONE? (It's slated for a 2013 release, no date or title as of yet!)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]