1,456 of 1,550 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Trilogy Bundle: Fifty Shades of Grey; Fifty Shades Darker; Fifty Shades Freed (Kindle Edition)
My husband heard about this trilogy on a morning radio show and recommended I read it. I looked it up, read the product description, and decided that it didn't sound like "my kind of book." Over the next few weeks, several friends mentioned it to me. A very close friend told me, "It's about bondage. But keep an open mind. And JUST READ IT!" So I downloaded it and began doing just that...

The first few chapters of book one set the scene...naive, bookish girl meets attractive, billionaire CEO and lust ensues. The rest of book one was sex. Explicit sex. And at first it was "steamy." But I quickly found myself wondering when it would end. I read it all, though in reality, I could have skipped entire chapters and really missed nothing.

Books two and three got more into the actual story line and made me glad I stuck with it. I quickly realized that the descriptive sex scenes in book one were necessary to fully develop the two main characters. On the exterior, Christian is a powerful, worldly man but through his interactions with Anastasia, the reader begins to see his immaturity and "damaged" side. And Anastasia's oblivion over the fact that every eligible bachelor in her life is fawning over her betrays her presentation of herself as an ordinary, bumbling recent college grad. It was exciting to see the evolution of Christian and Anastasia throughout the trilogy.

To say that this is "a book about bondage" is wrong. Yes, there are a few select scenes that depict sex with restraints or spankings or floggers. But in the grand scheme of things, they were isolated, fleeting events. Instead, I would say this book is a love story. It's about the concessions we will make for the one we love and the "hard limits" that keep us true to ourselves. The author has created two very memorable main characters and a laundry list of amazing supporting characters, including "the inner goddess" who honestly was one of my favorites! And I especially liked the last chapter (following the epilogue) which was told from Christian's perspective. I would have liked to have had more of his point of view sprinkled throughout the books.

What's interesting to me is that these books have received such a wide array of ratings by Amazon users. Clearly the author has done her job of presenting a controversial theme and getting readers talking. I notice a few unifying comments from the reviewers who did not like the book (or gave it a low rating)....

1) The ebook is too expensive. - To this I say that it's unfair of readers to low ball their rating of the author's work simply because they're unhappy with the publisher's price. As a consumer, you have the option to buy or not to buy. You also have the option to buy hard copies rather than ebooks. If you don't want to shell out the extra few cents to buy the trilogy instead of the three individual ebooks, then don't. If you'd rather buy the paperbacks, then do. If you'd rather borrow a friend's hard copy or check it out of the library, go for it. But don't hold that against the author!

2) There was no story line. - To this I say, "You must have stopped reading at the end of book one."

3) There was too much repetition. - To this I say I think Anastasia's inner dialogue includes a lot of "holy crap" and "oh my" for a reason. Despite her personal and professional evolution, she's still a bit unsure of herself and her ability to adapt to her new lifestyle. No matter what, she's still young, naive Ana on the inside.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 20 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 113 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2012 8:10:36 AM PDT
S. Floyd says:
Excellent review. My sentiments exactly. I am glad that there are some folks that were able to 'figure' out what this trilogy was about. The sex was crucial and important to the storyline. Thank you for posting this. I read all three books in 6 days, couldn't put them down, and agree fully with your complete review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 12:06:20 PM PDT
You write well---thanks for the objectivity. I was trying to decide if I will start this series, and you have tipped the scales in favor! I do like to see development of character and relationship--both in life and in fiction.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 4:40:25 AM PDT
Excellent review!

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 4:28:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 19, 2012 4:31:54 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 5:51:18 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 5:52:52 PM PDT

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 11:07:32 AM PDT
Kimba911 says:
Thank you for posting this review. I couldn't agree with you more! These books are so much more than they are described. One of my favorite characters was also the inner goddess. Each time I read about her reactions, it seemed familiar ... reminding me of my own inner goddess, which every woman is sure to possess - it's just a matter of recognizing her.

These books have sparked an awareness in me of everyone's feelings of inadequacy. I am reminded that no matter how polished or reserved a person may seem, there is always some level of this in everyone ... thus, making them more human.

I have just finished reading the second book, and am anxious to get started on the third ... although I will be very sad when it is over...

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 4:44:11 PM PDT
Pinkwink says:
I loved your review. I loved the trilogy. I couldn't put it down. You put into words what I have thought. I have had suggested this book to many and just said "have an open mind." Thanks for such a great review.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 7:32:20 AM PDT
P. E. Kelly says:
This review was right on point. The books were much more that just sex but about relationship and what we bring into a relationship plus family. Money does not solve problems and how people evolve and grow in relationships

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 10:12:08 AM PDT
Liz says:
Thank you for the review. I agree 100%. I read all 3 books in 4 days, I could not put it down for a moment. I really like the love story as you continue to read it, its not about the money its more about the feelings they feel when they are with each other it takes you back to a moment in life when you experienced the same emotions.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›