Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

2.0 out of 5 stars They look great in the packaging, but using them is a different story...., January 5, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: CTA Digital Wii Sports Resort 8-in-1 Sports Pack (White) (Video Game)
I received this sports pack a couple of days ago and proceeded to pretty much test every attachment that very evening. Everything looked pretty impressive when I opened the package. But there are some major shortcomings. The first is the fact that there are no instructions inside the box or anything. It may look like all the parts are pretty self explanatory, but a little guidance may have been helpful. I'll break down each attachment for you here:

1. Sword attachment: This was one of the major reasons that I wanted to get this pack. My kids and I (even my 3 year old) love the swordplay in Wii Sports Resort. The issue I have with the Wiimote alone is that whilst the Motion + adds remarkable depth to all the games, it puts the balance of the remote off. In order to reach the A and especially the B button, you have to hold the remote "high" or "forward" which can be a bit uncomfortable. I was hoping the sword attachment would balance it out a bit, which it absolutely does. Kudos for that! However, you have two choices of attaching the sword to the Wiimote. First you can remove the gel casing and use the included "spacer" to fit it in. I DO NOT recommend this as it's a pretty loose fit and it took me only about 10 slicing motions before the attachment became a "detachment". It fits more snugly with the gel casing on the Wiimote. It does not come apart this way. Next I thought I was having the same problem that another reviewer was mentioning that you have to take the attachment off to start a game (point to the screen and press A). You do NOT have to remove the attachment to get it to work, but you do have to turn the Wiimote sideways or upside down so that the Infrared transceiver can "see" the sensor bar. It's a bit of a hassle, but not insurmountable. The real problem is that during gameplay the attachment pulls the gel casing over the IR sensor and then your calibration is thrown off. Not good for the swordplay games at a higher level. That said I think I might be part of the problem. I may just "slice" too hard which jars the whole remote. My kids don't seem to have issues. Overall grade for the sword attachment: C-.

2. Canoe Paddle: No real issues with this attachment and it seems to balance the motion. One of the better attachments in the set and you can use it with the wiimote's gel casing intact. Because the attachment doesn't cover the front/top of the Wiimote is doesn't have the issues with the "point and press A" like the Sword. Overall grade: A-.

3. Golf club: Only issue with this attachment is the same as with the sword, you can't point and hit the A button without turning the Wiimote sideways or upside down. But you don't have to do this very often in Golf. It does balance the Wiimote for a better swing, but takes a bit of getting used to. You can put it on with the Wiimote Gel casing intact. Overall grade for the golf club attachment: B.

4. Table Tennis Paddle: One of the best attachments in the set. It really helps you hold the paddle the right way for game play. Only issue is the "point and press A" problem noted above. Overall grade: B+.

5. Frisbee: I see that other reviewers like this attachment and so does my daughter, but I have two major issues with it. First, despite the product descriptions implications you CANNOT use the Wiimote gel casing with the Frisbee. You have to remove the gel casing from the Wiimote, including the Motion Plus for it to fit into the frisbee. This is, to say the least, a pain in the you know where.. Second, I still haven't figured out exactly how to hold the darn thing once the remote is in it. You need to press, hold and release B to "throw" the frisbee, but I'm finding it difficult to hold it like a frisbee and get at the B button. There's a hole that I think you're supposed to put you hand through to help, but my hand is just too big. Again, some insructions would have been nice. Overall grade on the Frisbee: D.

6. Wakeoarding: Like the frisbee, I'm annoyed by the fact that the Wiimote has to be removed from it's gel casing to place into the wakeboarding handle. Other than that, though, it seems to work as expected for this game in which no buttons ever have to be pressed (except A at the beginning, but you don't have to point). Overall grade: C- (mostly because I reall HATE having to take the gel casing off.

7. Archery: This one can be used with the gel casing (or without by using the "spacer"). That's a plus. And the actual "bow" part of the attachment adds a little bit to the game. The issue is the "string". The picture implies that you can "hang" the nunchuck from the string. Not so.. There is a little clip to "grab" the string, but it won't stay there. And that makes it a little awkward to pull back whilst at the same time hold down the "Z" button. Also, be careful to only let go of Z and not the bow string itself when you're firing or you likely drop the nunchuck. I do like the feel of the attachment, however despite the weird "pull the string back but hold Z at the same time" issue, the main bow part does seem to add to the gameplay. Overall grade: C

8. Power Crusing Handlebar: Oddly enough the attachment I was looking forward to the least in the set turns out to be pretty much the best of all. In fact, I don't think I'd want to power cruise without this attachment now. The game is kind of awkward holding up your Wiimote and Nunchuck at an angle in front of you by themselves. But with the handlebars, you can really play the game a lot better. And I know that many consider the power cruising one of the weakest and least played games of the Wii Sports resort game pack, but with this atttachment, you'll be more likely to want to play it. It really gives you an easier way to hold the controllers and "rev" the Wiimote for those power boosts. Overall grade: A

In conclusion, I'm still a little unsure whether I'm going to send this set back. It was a gift and a few of the pieces seem to work well, but overall I can't give it a glowing recommendation. For around $30.00 I think the price is too high, especially if you think, like me, that you will be unlikely to use up to half the attachments.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2010 12:37:59 AM PDT
Thank you for your review. What's a problem for some or what works for others is always different, so I'm glad you gave me enough information to decide on my own what's important. Even if I decide on completely different grade letters, your review still will have been very helpful. How you come to conclusions can be more important than the conclusions themselves and I wish other reviewers would follow your lead.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 10:34:28 AM PDT
roshan says:
In the Table Tennis game, the face of the paddle is the side of the Wiimote.

According to the picture here, the face of the paddle is the face of the Wiimote.

How do you hit a simple no spin shot using the paddle from the kit?

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 11:48:28 PM PDT
Rial Powers says:
Great review. Very informative. I think I might still get it, but with your thorough review, I can go in know more precisely what I'm getting. Thank you for a proper and truly helpful review.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 4:47:29 PM PST
Annie says:
This is probably a dumb question, but can it be used with other games? I am going to assume so because even if you have the wii motion plus in with other games it will still work. But i thought i would ask.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 9:05:54 PM PST
R. Huner says:
You assume correctly. They will work with other games, you just have to have the Wii motion plus attached for them to fit.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 11:39:33 AM PST
HOW did you get the nunchuck plug to fit into the wii remote with the bow? The clear plastic piece on the nunchuck makes it impossible to have it connected while in the bow bracket. I am also amazed that you can get anything to fit with the gel sleeve - I can barely get the wii remote into the bow bracket without the sleeve; I have no idea how it could fit without it. Thanks so much for such a good review... I wish I had read it before ordering this crazy thing!

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 4:29:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2012 4:44:14 PM PDT
C. W. N. says:
I give your review an A+ Very thorough, good job! Oh, and right now it's only $11.04 with free supersaver shipping so based on your review I'm going to give it a shot for my daughter's birthday. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›