Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

2.0 out of 5 stars Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera (Wireless Phone Accessory)
OK folks - I KNOW the cam is less than $15 but if it hold true to the description...then don't deceive us! I'll start with the good...cheap price, it has IR that really works, and it has backup grid lines that are pretty handy. Sounds great so far right? Well...what is all that worth if the cam "is" going to fill up with water and be foggy? It doesn't matter how good the cam is if you can't see thru the darn thing! One rainstorm day and whammo...waterlogged cam. When I checked it out, I hoped it was just water on the exterior I could wipe off...no such luck...it had like a 1/8" of water inside the cam pooled right on the lens and the IR sensors! Waterproof - IT IS NOT! BEWARE! Shame on these guys for falsely advertising this product. If it didn't claim to be waterproof, that's one thing...you'd almost expect it to be leaky for the price you're paying. I'm going to get a refund and return this.

Word of advise...if you already have one, AND it hasn't been rained on or gone thru a carwash yet - go to HomeDepot or Lowes and buy a small tube of clear silicon. Just squeeze a pea sized bead on your finger and smear it all around the camera's seams - including the screw holes. That should seal the camera from water, then you're golden. I wish I had done that but...as it said it was "water and fog proof"....I didn't and here I am returning this thing.

Hope the above helps anyone planning on buying or who already has one that isn't yet waterlogged! Moral to the story - if you get one, the cam works good, it's cheap, JUST WATERPROOF IT WHEN YOU GET IT (clear silicone will run you $2 only, if that). If you don't want to bother doing that - I'd steer clear from this one or you're going to be looking for another camera soon after a few rainstorms or car washes!

Thanks
Disgruntled and misled!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 7:39:10 PM PDT
You're right, Akonius, about everything! I, too bought this camera and got one good day of vision from it. Since then, it's been foggy with water droplets inside the lenses. This product would be good for those who live in places where there isn't much rain, or for those who wash their vehicles once a year. I've had this cam a month now and it hasn't defogged yet! And we don't even get much rain! But then, it's my fault, too. I went cheap and got cheap.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 11:07:45 PM PDT
I second that opinion.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 12:44:40 PM PDT
Yes I have the same problem when i gotta it work great clear screen looked good till it rained now its pointless cant take it a part and clean it seal it when you get it

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 10:15:55 AM PST
Robert D. says:
Thanks for the advice. I have bought and installed the camera, but it does get dirty. I haven't washed the car yet, but I will put silicone on the camera before I do. Thanks again!

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 12:40:15 PM PDT
Thanks! I just ordered one and it never crossed my mind to seal it on my own. Would have figured they took the 2 seconds to do that with an o-ring or something. I'll be sure to seal it before installation!

Thanks again!

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 5:48:49 PM PDT
Slicc98 says:
Because of this review, I went and picked up a tube of clear silicone to put on the edges of the lens and LEDs. Hopefully it will help. Sorry for your loss, but thanks for this expert advice.

Posted on May 24, 2013 8:37:55 PM PDT
Dwayne A. says:
had the exact same problem first time I washed the truck after installing

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 1:21:25 PM PDT
E. Solorzano says:
I wish I would have read this review before purchasing and installing mine. We just got a good rain a few days ago and I can't see anything anymore, camera is useless now!

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 10:24:55 AM PDT
john Wright says:
Nice cam but not waterproof or even water-resistant for that matter.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 8:45:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2013 8:46:55 PM PDT
Go Autos says:
To everyone with a fogged unit, use a pin to make tiny holes into the surrounding seam, use a blow dryer on low heat for 15 minutes, voilaa`! no more fogged unit. Then use the silicone seal method around the seams wear gloves and you will be good to go. The holes are needed to let the moisture escape. This method is also good for fogged headlamps.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›