Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Camera!, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX P510 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 42x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and GPS Record Location (Red) (Electronics)
I bought both the Nikon p510 camera and the Sony hx200v camera to see which I prefer. I took numerous pictures with both, but decided to keep the Nikon p510. Although both cameras took very nice pictures, I liked the way that people shots came out with the Nikon p510, especially indoors. The Nikon p510 seems to give a nice "matte" finish to skin shots and with a bit more color, whereas the Sony hx200v showed/emphasized more skin flaws. Also, indoor pics with the Sony were inconsistent - sometimes too yellow, and other times too white (overexposed). Although the Sony hx200v does have a "soft skin" setting, I felt it looked too unnatural (gave the skin too much of a porcelain doll finish). Also, the Nikon p510 seems to handle indoor pics better where there is a lot of backlight. Outdoor pics are nice with both cameras, but again I preferred the people pics with the Nikon p510 (the outdoor people pics taken with the Sony were more neutral toned). The only reason I give this review 4 stars is because the zoom can be a bit flaky when trying to focus with maximum zoom, in particular on small objects such as birds; sometimes it would focus right away, but a lot of times I had to keep adjusting the zoom before it decided to focus. Yet, I haven't had this problem with other types of pictures.

4/22/12 update: I think I found the solution to the problem I had with zooming on small objects. Pg 72 of the disc manual ("Using Focus Modes") talks about how to change focus modes. It seems that when I change the focus to "infinity", it focuses on the subject a lot quicker. I'm still going to play with this setting a bit more, but so far it seems to have helped. Also, after reading page 73 ("Available Focus Modes"), it looks like "manual focus" may also be helpful on zooming in on small objects. I will play with these settings for a while. If I find these settings consistently work, I will change my rating to 5 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2012 10:46:49 AM PDT
Cousin Juno says:
The final comment on the zoom was helpful since i am a zoomer and take pics of human sized objects. I am even more confident the nikon is the camera 4 me!

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 8:27:23 PM PDT
Ash says:
Thanks for a good review.

I have a few questions:

1. What is the battery life?
2. How is the zoom in low light (Indoor fluorescent light?) Try taking picture of your toe with your leg stretched.

I have had two bad experiences with Canon, and I have decided "No more Canon." I am still not decided what to replace it with.

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 7:29:49 AM PDT
Lisa T. says:
The battery life is around 200 pictures. I haven't had a problem with running out of battery, but I don't usually don't have a reason to exceed 200 pictures/charge. I'm good about recharging daily. Yet, others feel that it's worth to get a couple of replacement batteries (see other posted reviews). I also haven't had problems with the zoom in low light. There's enough camera settings where if one doesn't work, the other one does. I take lots of indoor pics of my kids, and a lot of them are in the evening/low light. One reason I chose this camera is because I felt it performed well both indoors and outdoors. Also, Amazon has a 30 day return policy on electronics. I recommend buying and trying the camera out for a few days/weeks to see how you like it. I've tried out about 6 different cameras before I decided on this one. Hope this helps!

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:58:24 PM PDT
Hi Lisa,
Thank you for a very good review. I tried out this camera at Costco and I found that it had difficulty focussing at high zoom settings. I tried zooming to max on a cardboard box with different colors and it took a lot of time (> 5 secs) to focus and in some cases it just did not focus till I changed the zoom to a lower level. Do you have similar experiences ?

Raja

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:46:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 8:17:43 AM PDT
Raja,
It does have a bit of a lag when zooming way out , yet I haven't had it take as long as you stated (maybe a couple of seconds), but I have found that pressing the shutter button part of the way helps to quicken the focus of the zoom. The zoom focus works faster/slower with certain settings. You have to take the time to learn what setting works best with different scenarios. Overall, I like the camera. I decided on this camera not primarily on the zoom, but because I thought overall for what I wanted it was the best camera for me. Yet, I did test other cameras before I decided on this one, such as the Canon sx40 and the Sony hx200v. They all had very good zooms, and probably were quicker at focusing at full zoom. Yet, that may be because their overall zoom capability is less than Nikon. If you plan on doing a lot of zooming, I would definitely recommend looking into these cameras out before you make a final decision. Any of these cameras would have been good / excellent for zooming. Yet, I really liked the end picture that came from the Nikon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 9:33:15 PM PDT
Please do not "try out" electronics just to send them back and get another one to try out. Eventually, that kind of activity will kill off the ability to return things. The manufacturers and Amazon will suffer. They can't make any money if people order items only to try them out, then send them back, then order another one. The returned item might be sold as "new" by some manufacturers, but the best companies do not engage in that kind of activity. They will re-sell the electronics you return as used items and lose money. I realize that most people do not think this is any big deal. And I realize this is common practice and the vast majority of people would ignore this comment or become extremely angry. I write this because I think you are not like most people. You are obviously intelligent and want to be helpful. I think you have not thought much about the returns.

Thank You.

AD2

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 12:46:34 AM PDT
Ash says:
@Alan: You make a good point. I agree with you that some people may go overboard with the return concept.

However, I do feel that the cost of the returned product is already built into the system. The warranties of most of the electronic products have been reduced to just one year. Imagine buying a laptop for $600+. If it breaks say in 18 months, you are most likely to buy another than to get it repaired. In this case it is the consumer who got short end of the stick.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 7:19:10 AM PDT
Alan,

I think people have the right to try out products when making a purchase that involves several hundred dollars. I have made many past purchases without comparing products, and have had several regretful purchases. I did not want to be regretful with my camera purchase, so I decided to explore my options first hand. Considering that there are similar cameras which all have pros/cons to them, I think a consumer has a right to "try out" products to find the best fit. I'm sorry you don't feel that way, but I do not regret my suggestion to try out products within the allowed return period.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›