3.0 out of 5 stars After reading this book, I have a mixed review., June 1, 2012
This review is from: Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Build Muscle, Get Lean, and Stay Healthy Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
As a top ranked competitive powerlifter and author of my own book, Monster Squat: A Step By Step Guide to a Bigger Squat!, I know a thing or two about training. I saw all the reviews on this book and thought it would be something to have a look at. I have been competing for a while in some of the heavier weight classes and was looking for a way to stay strong but drop my body weight down to get in some of the lighter classes.

After reading this book, I have a mixed review.

First the bad. The first part of the book, like one of the other reviewers stated, was all about how easy it would be to get the body you want as well as how people have been misled by the fitness industry. It was more of an advertisement for the Bigger Leaner Stronger program and a bashing session of the fitness industry. I would suggest to skip to Chapter 10 and start reading from there that's where the usefully information really begins.

Now the good. The program is as basic is it gets making it is easy to follow. Let me sum it up in one sentence. CREATE A STRICT TRAINING AND DIET PLAN AND STICK TO IT! The suggested routines and diet plans are easy to implement and follow even if you never step one foot into a gym in your life. Follow the plan and you will see results.

To end this review, as for me there wasn't too much in here I didn't already know. In fact, when I started out weight training a long time ago, I actually followed a similar program and it worked. For anyone training for a specific sport, like powerlifting, the Bigger Leaner Stronger program may be a good substitute from your normal training regimen when you are in your "off" season and the info on nutrition is a very useful. To anyone just starting weight training, this program will be the most effective and for others that train now and are stuck in a rut, this will help get you through it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2012 11:23:36 AM PDT
Hey Joe,

Thanks for reading my book and for the feedback. First, my hat goes off to you for your competitive accomplishments--that takes balls of steel and superhuman discipline and dedication.

Anyhow, I understand where you're coming from regarding the bashing of the myths and deceptions of the fitness industry. I've just met and worked with so many guys over the years that were hopelessly lost in terms of what to do and why, and it was totally due to the poor advice of magazines, trainers, and friends. I wanted to start the book by thoroughly making that clear, and then establishing the fundamentals of how the body works in terms of muscle building, fat loss, nutrition, and so forth.

But, for someone as experienced as you, all this information is old news, of course. The vast majority of guys don't know a fraction of what you know, though.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the training and diet plans. I am a big believer in simplicity and following what's been proven by decades of real results and sound science.

All in all, I really appreciate feedback, including both the good and the bad, because it helps me improve my books. I've already made three rounds of revisions since publishing the book a few months ago, and they were each guided by reader feedback.

That being said, if you have any ideas as to how I can improve the book, would you mind sharing them? You can post them here or shoot me them in a email, if you prefer (mike@buildhealthymuscle.com).

Thanks again,

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:24:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 1:26:20 PM PDT
Hi Mike,
The only things I would do to improve you book is to get to the specifics quicker. Like I said in my review was that it just took too long to get there. I can understand the buildup but it just took too long. If you get a chance to read my book, Monster Squat: A Step By Step Guide to a Bigger Squat!, or go check out the Look Inside at the table of contents, you will see that I structured it in a way that progressed from in-experienced readers toward experienced ones. This makes it easier for the experienced ones to skip the stuff they already know.

Now that's just all technical improvements. As for the content, I liked it a lot and think I will try to get back to some of the basics in my own training and as for the dieting we'll see. As I get older it gets harder to stay in the lighter weight classes. My favorite part is the stuff on discipline and dedication, that's what make the difference in anything you do, training or just everyday life.

Maybe we need to collaborate on a book that would combine both our expertise. My email is teamjaxfl@gmail.com, if you every need any info on powerlifting.

Train Hard, Train Safe
Joe

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 12:45:28 PM PDT
Hey Joe,

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely check out your book--I simply can't even imagine squatting 1k+ lbs. I'm still struggling to break 400.

Thanks again for the kind words regarding the content, and I agree--discipline and dedication are everything.

We could definitely look at collaborating on a book. I could see a program that focuses on building all-around functional strength as popular. My next project is going to be a book for women, but when that's done, I'll shoot you an email.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 7:14:45 AM PDT
I found the build up in the first part of the book to be really useful and helpful. For me, it was really necessary to understand the things I was doing wrong (or right, in some cases) before getting to the core of the program. Just my two-cents. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 10:15:33 AM PDT
Glad you liked it Stuart and thanks for chiming in. :)

Different strokes for different folks!

‹ Previous 1 Next ›