5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty in Pink and with improvements! DS vs. DS Lite, October 16, 2006
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Coral Pink (Accessory)
My brother and sister got the teal and pink Nintendogs bundles last year with the regular DS in them so I've had a chance to try them out. I wasn't sure whether I wanted the Nintendo DS, PSP, or anything like this at all. However, I decided to go with the DS now after playing around with theirs.

Playing video games on the DS in a whole new experience. There are lots of games to play for all ages. The microphone and touch screen get you involved and interacting with the game in a way a joystick or game pad alone just can't do. The wireless feature can't be overlooked either. Locally, we can play against each other including our friends even in different rooms. You can also pictochat (a picture and text chat program that comes pre-installed on the DS). You can also play against others worldwide too! All you need is a compatible router or a Nintendo Wi-FI USB connector for that which was set up by my parents. Playing against others makes it exciting, and a chance to tryout our skills against others. My parents try them out first for "our safety". I think they like to play them too :-). My favorites so far are like Mario Kart which only gives out your user name (we use nicknames instead of real names) and Clubhouse Games which displays your user name as well as select from a list of already made text messages--as far as I know you can't add your own text when online for this games. Other games may be different so it's a good idea the parents do check. So far I haven't come across any usernames that should be bleeped either so everyone seems to being playing nice or Nintendo has a way of screening them out. My parents still took the time to make sure my younger sister and brother knew why they shouldn't give out personal information even when playing locally.

The only decision left was did I want the original or Lite. There was only $10 difference when I bought mine. The regular DS is great, but I went with the Lite because the improvements made it better for me. I liked the looks and the brighter screens when comparing the store display DS Lite to the original DS.

APPEARANCE

I like the design! It's trendy, fashinable, smaller, and I liked the soft feminine look of the coral pink. However, I liked the pearl pink and teal too of the original DS. They were limited editions and not available now so color does make a difference to me as well as size. Anything in softer shades instead of the bolder colors appeals more to me. I admit that I think lime green might be cool even though it's bold. Anyway, I was so excited to see that the Lite was available in coral pink! Everything I was looking for!

SCREENS

I have some vision problems, and the brighter screens are a real plus. There are four settings so I can find one right for me almost anywhere I play including outside or on the go. My brother and sister's were OK to play indoors, but I felt myself straining to see them in other lighting situations. The colors themselves seem bolder, crisper, and sharper. Really!

BATTERY

According to the manual for the original DS, it takes about 4 hours to charge. You can expect to get six to ten hours of game play on a fully charged battery depending on the game activitiy. This seems about right though the battery life will decrease over time.

According to the manual for the DS Lite, it takes about 3 hours to charge and may last 15 to 19 hours depending on the lowest light setting or about 5 to 8 hours on the highest setting. Battery life also depends on the game activity. For example, I notice the battery drains quicker when using the Wireless feature to play games. I use the third or fourth (brighter settings), and it does seem to last a little longer than the original DS, but has with the brighter screen setting.

STYLUS

The DS Lite comes with two color-coordinated stylus that is a little longer and thicker than the original DS's brown one. I find it easier to use. It also slides in the side instead of the back.

LIGHTS AND MICROPHONE

The two indicator lights and microphone are in the middle of the Lite and the front edge of the original DS. It's a little easier to see the DS Lite's lights when closed and notice them when the unit is open too. The light turns red when battery needs to be recharged, solid green when battery status is good, blinking green when in wireless mode, solid orange when plugged into AC and charging, etc.

SOUND & BUTTONS

The original DS might seems to have slightly louder sound, but both original DS and Lite are easy to hear with some good ear buds. Either version of DS includes a jack that will accept headphones or earbuds with a standard connector.

The button layout is a little different. For example, the DS Lite power switch slides on and off on the side instead of a push button on the front.

ACCESSORIES

The original DS they have came with a wrist strap that included a thumb-touch pad. I'm getting a strap for the DS Lite as I've seen first-hand, how the strap protect the unit from falling to the ground! The prices for replacement straps, batteries, and even that WI-FI connector would be within my limited budget and can be ordered directly from Nintendo if needed. I've had electronics and toys in the past where it was almost as expensive to buy the replacement part as just buying another one of the same thing.

SUMMARY

The main differences between the original DS and the DS Lite for me are the size and brighter screens.

All I can say is my younger sister and brother are very happy with their original DSs, and they've held up well. They might even be a little sturdier too--maybe the lighter weight on the DS just gives that appearance. Anyway, the size is not a problem for them since they tote them in a case instead of their pocket or purse, and they have colors and bundled package deal they really like. They do like the brighter screens, but not enough to ask for the Lite instead of something else this year. I'd have to say that would be my thoughts too if I already had the original DS except that the brighter screens really do make a difference for me.

The DS Lite coming out is good for those who prefer the smaller size and brighter screens. I think it was worth the small difference in price since I didn't have one at all. For those who don't need the smaller size or brighter screens, the original DS will probably come down in price as I suspect it will be discontinued making it more affordable especially since the games, accessories, and replacement parts are reasonably priced too.

This is just the best overall handheld system in my opinion. You won't be disappointed with the original or Lite DS. The only thing my parents wish is that more educational games especially for pre and grade school kids would come out. The mic and touch screen are ideal for that too, and my youngest sister would love "games" she could play too. That way they wouldn't have to buy a separate educational handheld system, cartridges, and accessories just for that.

So what are you waiting for? If you're a parent, quit reading this and buy that DS. If your a kids, be sure to put this on your list!

[Add comment]