Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Competent & Affordable Wireless Multifunction Printer, November 3, 2010
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One (4502B017) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 1:35 Mins

I own an older model PIXMA iP3000 that I've been very impressed with and the MG5220 doesn't change my opinion. If anything, I am even more impressed with its design, features and performance. Out of the box it is attractively styled and has a compact footprint. Installing the software and setting up a wireless connection on my home network was a snap with both my iMac and Windows 7 laptop. The controls are intuitive and the adjustable color LCD display is gorgeous. I've yet to explore all of it's features, but without cracking open the manual I was able to photocopy, scan, print documents and print photos on photo paper. There is a brief warm-up period when turning the printer on or waking from power saving mode, but otherwise printing, copying and scanning are brisk, if not super-fast.

Copy, print and scan quality all meet my high standards. A copy is hard to distinguish from the page it is copied from. Text is crisp and easy to read, and the duplex (double-sided) printing is a boon. Borderless photos are crisp and clear with good color saturation and accurate tonality. Scan detail is superb and the reproduction very accurate. The lower paper cassette and rear feed both hold plenty of paper. In fact, I am hard pressed to find anything not to like about this all-in-one. Sure, the cost to replace all of the ink cartridges (with Canon approved versions) is more than half the cost of the printer, but that is sadly the norm the days. I can't speak to it's longevity or how it will operate over time, but if it is anything like the IP3000, then I am hopeful.

For personal use or a small home office that wants a compact all-in-one that copies, prints and scans quickly and with quality, then the Cannon PIXMA MG5220 should be on your short list.

EDIT(01/12/2011): After about 3 months of use, and printing a lot of photos for the holidays, the colored inks that came with the printer ran out. The blacks are still going strong, though it won't print without the colored ones being replaced (even B&W).

EDIT(01/31/2011): I just wanted to clarify that while the colors are low, only one needed immediate replacing. The rest are hanging in there and the black ink levels still appear good.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 76 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2010 8:40:19 AM PDT
When it comes down to printers (especially for photo quality prints) Canon is the only way to go!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 9:14:03 AM PDT
Kort says:
Thank you Kimberly. I used to swear by Epsons, but the nozzles always clogged. I have another that is an HP that works pretty well also, but yeah, Canons are good. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 6:14:40 PM PDT
Thanks for the review! Very helpful.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 5:51:45 AM PST
shortwaisted says:
thank you for the review. it helped me make my choice!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 10:24:37 AM PST
Kort says:
Thank you shortwaisted. It is still going strong and producing good scans and prints. I haven't had to replace any ink yet.

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 4:46:53 PM PST
D. Kong says:
Great review but I have one question. I want to hook this up to my desktop through USB but I also want the ability to print with my laptop over Wifi. Will this printer allow that or do I have to choose one over the other?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 2:13:45 PM PST
Kort says:
D. I have not tried that myself, but seem to recall reading a review where the person said it was possible, but took a little while to set up properly. I'm not sure though. I'm guessing your desktop doesn't have wifi? If it does, it is just as easy to use wifi for all of your connections. Good luck!

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 9:27:58 PM PST
Ivy Vine says:
How does this compare to the IP3000 in regards to ink usage? I used to own an IP3000 with my old roommate and with only moderate printing, the ink tanks lasted quite a while (over a year before replacing the black as I do mainly black ink printing, and then colors took 3 years - on the verge of drying out at that same time). If I don't do any photo printing but just small amounts of black/grey scale standard stuff, do you think it could last nearly the same amount of time?

And always get your replacement inks from a Major Office retail store (their generic ink tanks) like Office Depot. Spent about $10-12 for Blacks and around $15-17 for the colors instead of the Canon replacements that cost upwards of $40 each.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 7:51:22 PM PST
Kort says:
I would say the ink usage is comparable, though I have not had it long enough to say for sure. The original cartridges are still going. I do have to say that I am glad you have had good experiences with refilled or generic cartridges, but for me, they've cause problems with every printer I use them with, sooner or later. It is best to pay a little (or a lot) more for the peace of mind, IMHO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2011 8:40:42 AM PST
Kort says:
UPDATE: After about 3 months of regular use and printing a lot of photos for the holidays, the colored inks that came with the printer ran out. The blacks are still going strong, though it won't print without the colored ones being replaced (even B&W).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›