Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful display, great sound quality and sturdy frame..., February 10, 2005
This review is from: Motorola V710 Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I am one of those that gets a new cell phone every year so I have to have the latest and greatest. I also require the phone to do a little bit more than just simply allow me to make calls, although that is the most important thing.

Let me start off by saying that this phone is the best phone I have ever owned, hands down. Yeah some people on here are crying about how the Bluetooth is "crippled" or that the battery life isn't all that great but I haven't had a problem with either. As far as BT is concerned I only use the headset function so the rest doesn't matter to me. I bought a transflash card for $25 with the phone and use that to transfer songs and pictures, real easy. The battery life is great. I can go four days in between charges even when playing music, taking pictures and talking on it all the time. No other phone I owned had a battery that lasted that long. Learn how to "condition" your battery people, it will make it last so much longer.

As everyone has said the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired but hey, it's a camera-PHONE what did you expect? It's great for snapping shots when you just don't have your digital camera around (like if you get into a fender bender or something). The internal display, on the other hand, is amazing! This is my third color phone and it is by far the best display ever, so vivid and crisp. I actually uploaded high quality pics from my computer via the transflash card and use that for my Picture Caller ID and the display is wonderful!

The media player is great with the 128mb memory card. I am able to store more than 30 songs on it and the sound quality of the external speaker is excellent. Yes, it does not allow you to assign mp3's on the memory card as ringtones but I just use a free utility called MPTrim to make 20-30 second clips of all my favorite songs and then transfer them to the phone's memory. Then you can simply assign those as ringtones and since the files are only about 20 seconds long (which is longer than the time for the phone to ring before forwarding to voicemail) it only uses up about 250kb at CD-quality sound so you can still fit dozens of them on the phone's 10mb internal memory.

The speakerphone isn't as lound as my last phone (Nextel i730) but is still loud enough to use in a room with a reasonable amount of noise. It's definitely loud enough to use in a car with the windows up or in an office environment.

The phone's menus and buttons are so easy to use and well thought out that it will only take a matter of minutes to get used to. I also like the fact that you can customize the soft keys and the shortcut buttons to your liking. Makes it even easier to navigate through.

There are a few very very minor issues that I have found and I will tell you about those so that you know I'm not some sort of Motorola rep trying to increase sales. One thing I don't like is that you can't adjust the ringer volume with the phone closed. I think that's an important feature when you forget to shut the ringer off when you're in a meeting and you get a call which begins playing that new mp3 ringtone you downloaded. You also cannot disable the "Low Battery" warning beep (which doesn't happen often but when it does can get annoying). To me it seems like it defeats the purpose to have a loud beep every two minutes when your battery is low since that in and of itself uses up energy. I also haven't been able to figure out how to ignore a call without opening the phone, which if set to do so could actually cause you to answer the call (forgive me if I missed the section in the manual that shows you how to do this).

As far as the service goes I cannot be happier with Verizon. I work in a large office building and I park four levels underground. No carrier, other than Sprint, get's coverage down there and with Verizon I can make calls sitting in my car. There were also two dead spots that I would always run into with Nextel on my commute home and with Verizon I have at least 3 bars in both areas. I also called their customer service three times since receiving my phone just to ask simple questions about my plan or about features and never had to wait longer than 3 minutes. With Nextel and ATT/Cingular (wife's phone) I had to sit on hold for over 20 minutes each just to cancel service, goes to show how much they care. And every time I've called in their reps were polite and got my questions answered quickly.

After going from LA Cellular to AT&T Wireless to Airtouch to Verizon back to AT&T Wireless to Nextel and then back to Verizon I really think I have found the provider I am going to stick with (at least until someone else comes out with a better phone and better coverage :p ).

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]