4.0 out of 5 stars Excetional color! Amazing TV in the right room., December 31, 2011
This review is from: Mitsubishi WD-92840 92-Inch 1080p 3D Projection TV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I am not new to Big DLPs. I have owend or currently own the following DLPs: a 56" Sammy, a 65" HP, a 72" Sammy, an 82" Mitsubishi and now the new 92" WD92840. All are still in service either at my house or a close relative's home. Each time I bought a newer larger set, the the newer TV was a step forward in a number of ways. Th WD-92840 is a giant leap forward in almost every way not just its jumbo dimensions. I am not a DLP or any other TV technology fan boy. I also own Plasma and LED/LCD displays. I am a fan of value and DLP means bang for the buck. The WD-92840 at $3999 was the ultimate in big bang for the buck.

Leaving aside the sheer size and heft of this TV It is the new clear screen that separated this TV from previous rear projection DLPs. There are tradeoffs to having the clear screen and this set will not be right for every room. First the very good:

Excellent sharpness
Very good blacks
Bright Display -This set has amazing brightness considerting it is using the same wattage lamp Mits was using on 60" DLPs only last year. It is in fact much brighter than my 82" set which also has a 180 watt lamp. That the 92" is so much brighter then my 2009 82" is very surpising considering the lamp is illuminating 30 percent more screen.

Color can be adjusted to near perfect, older Mits sets were not noted for accurate color. The color accuracy of this set is very. very good, and can be calibrated to near perfect. I have not used the internal color controls as yet. I am using an external video processor (DVDO DUO) and Chromapure software to do an auto-calibration. The Video Processor and the ChromaPure software together give the capability to atuo-calibrate.This kind of capability is similar to Audyssey on an AVR receiver. It is only recently avialable and is something a kin to magic for someone who has only done it manually. The results are amazing and achieve professional ISF/THX calibrator levels results. I am getting near reference calibrations without any hand tweaking on the set itself. The end results are simply stunning.

The lamp is in the burn in stage and has some 120 hours on it during this period most people would not bother to calibrate a set this new as the lamp changes brightness and color significantly in the first couple hundred hours. This is true of just about all lamp based projection systems. Because I have the capability to auto-calibrate I don't mind redoing it several times until the lamp becomes stable. After the lamp burn in is fully complete I will recalibrate every few hundred hours to keep the calibration perfect.

The set is producing 45 ft lamberts claibrated an astonishing number for a set this size and cost. Standard for a front projector is 16 ft lamberts. When the calibration is done, the grayscale, gamma, and color are near perfect. My latest gamma, and color charts showed almost no error and what error is there was way below the threshold of visual detection. Although I have not used the internal controls to do a calibration yet, I am confident similar results can be obtained using them alone. My 2009 82" Mits was much more of a challenge to get color right and required a lot of hand tweaking even with the Video Processor and the internal controls. Even with all the hand tweaking the earlier set was underaturated somewhat and no amount of fiddling could get it perfect. The 92840 has very nicely saturated primaries.

So big, bright, accurate color, those are the main ingredients for a superior dispaly. This set has all those. I use a high end surround sound system so I did not evaluate the internal sound bar system. My room is 19' x 23'. I don't belive the internal sound system can fill that room well enough to meet my expectaions. Although ,in a smaller room using a good subwoofer for which there is jack, the internal sound would likely suffice.

The down side for this TV is the flip side of what makes it great, that is the clear screen. The clear screen is highly reflective like on many laptops today, so you don't want light shining directly into the screen. Even though the screen can get very bright, it still is at its best in a light controlled room for critical viewing. For ordinary viewing I recommend a dimmed room to keep the reflections at bay.

Ideally, Mitsubishi should have used a high quality anti-glare treatment on the screen. From an image quality perspective keep in mind this screen is big and watching poorly mastered standard definition content will look bad.Because of its size and clairty his set hides no defects in the source. Generally today people watch mostly HD material. Don't buy this set to watch lousy camera phone SD video. High quality SD DVDs will look fine, HD broadcasts and Blu-Ray are what this set is all about. Football is mind blowing and fast motion is no problem, the hockey puck is easily followed and never disappears like on so many LCDs.

I have no interest in the minimal suite of apps Mitsubish provides and have yet to plug in an ethernet cable. I will though as Mitsubish does automatic firmware ugprades.

I bought my WD-92840 from Circuit City, so no sales tax, shipping was free and the set arrived with little drama. Two men came and they dollied the set into my living room and set it down in front of my TV stand. This is one heavy beast, unpacking is straightformard and a couple of neighbors lifted the set up on the stand for me. If you don't have the exta help get "white glove" delivery.

Be reasonable this is not a display for a room full of windows. For that you need a superbright matte screen LED/LCD. Set this guy up in a room with subdued room lighting with your lighting placed off axis. Ideally use a stand under 14". I have a 15" stand and while 15" is okay, it does not put your eyes when seated at the center of the screen which is the sweet spot where color is most accurate ad brightness is highest.

If Mitsubishi had used a high grade, camera quality, anti-reflective coating on the screen.. this review would be a 5 star rating. This is by far the best, DLP I have ever purchased. If you don't need the extra size the WD-82840 would be an even better choice as it would be even brighter. In my case with a 14 ft viewing distance the 92" is still short of ISF and THX suggested screen size for the viewing distance.

This beast is a solution for people who want a true cinematic presentaion but for whom front projection is not an option. 100" plasmas are available to also fill this need but they are tens of thousands of dollars and require substantial amounts of extra power and cooling in the room. This is a 4 thousand dollar TV on the street and for the money is simply brilliant. It is unique and fills a need that average people can afford to own and operate.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2011 3:15:47 PM PST
K. W. Barron says:
Great Review!

I have been seriously debating getting this set, but my other choice is a 3D projector onto a 120" screen. My room size is also similar to yours, at 18 x 21. I don't suppose you have tried out an 3D material or played any games on it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 9:57:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 10:01:08 PM PST
G. Gray says:
Not a gamer.. sorry. I experimented with my 2009 and while 3D was funtional it did not render colol well with emitter activated glasses. You really needed the DLP Link glasses and the 3D adapter was required on that year, which was kind of a kludge in my opinion.

On the 2009 82" you could not turn off DLP Link which caused a cyan cast with the emitter driven glasses. All those issues are gone, but the glasses I have are not compatible with this new set. From everything I know 3D has worked very well since the fixes incorporated in the 2010 and now lineup 3D works well. There was a software glitch the caused some judder on some 2011 models but that was resolved some time ago with a firmware patch. I have been too busy watching football to focus on 3D.. With 3D closer viewing distances are reccomended compared to 2D. Might be spring before I delve into 3D much. I have a lot going on.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 6:39:55 AM PST
N. Maki says:
Thanks for the great review. I've spent a fair share of time reading the info at AVS Forum, so I'm familiar with your valuable input and advice. As such, it's nice to read a review that offers more than just "It's really big!" Glad to hear how happy you are with this TV; hopefully I'll be able to afford one in a couple more years or maybe you'll sell me yours when you buy next year's model, lol!

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 7:23:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 23, 2012 7:34:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:13:39 AM PDT
N. dizdar says:
Thanks for this detailed review:

However, you remarked " Because I have the capability to auto-calibrate I don't mind redoing it several times until the lamp becomes stable." Is this a built in feature of the TV or is it that you have the capability to do this yourself with some kind of calibration tool?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 2:04:48 PM PDT
G. Gray says:
I have an Iscan Duo which is an external video processor. All my video sources, Tivo, PC, Blu-Ray etch are routed through this box. I have a colorimeter and software that give auto-calibration capability. So no it is not a native feature of the display. Some displays have this capabiliyt in firmware but still need a meter and calibration program to utilize the capability.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 6:58:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 6:59:08 AM PDT
Mr. Gray,

Am I understanding you right in that the signal going to the screen has first been calibrated (adjusted) by the Iscan Duo? Are you inputing it through the standard HDMI input? If so, to you need to set the TV user settings to any particular settings to achieve the proper picture?

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 10:28:34 AM PDT
B Bailey says:
One of the pictures accompanying this screen on Amazon shows a couple looking at this TV in a bright room with a humongous picture window behind them. Amd I to understand this is an unrealistic and possibly even deceptive environment scenario for this TV? Your great review certainly seems to indicate serious dimming is needed to view it properly. The room where I would use this is large and fairly open with a sliding door and window on one wall which would be perpendicular to the screen. They have blinds of course and the room can be dimmed .
Also I have a large collection of standard DVDs, mostly movies, which I hate to think would look unsatisfactory on this screen. But the screen size is a powerful attraction.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (52 customer reviews)

Out of stock