5.0 out of 5 stars A 2011 Manufactured Wired Switch - SE 1500 - Replaced My Router, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Linksys SE1500 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch (Personal Computers)
I just replaced my old router, with this SE 1500 switch a week ago (Dated 2011 on the box), with no problems. There are five ports. I plugged in the ethernet cable from my modem in port 5 and used the other 4 ports for my computers (2 ports are active now - See picture - Blue is from modem).

I can access the internet with both computers at the same time. I have Time Warner Cable, with a strong signal. I am not sure, but I expect my cable company provides two IP addresses. My Yahoo research after buying this indicates a switch is not generally used (nor works) to access the internet with two computers and a router is needed, unless two IP addresses are provided by the internet provider (I can not confirm or deny this information - I found it on Yahoo) - Seems some good luck worked in my favor.

NOTE: I purchased mine at the local Walmart for the same price -(90 day return policy - no questions) - They have it on line too.

The switch seems to know that I have used port 5 from the modem and takes care of the rest, since it does not have a titled in port for the modem.

This switch also allows two different computer VPN sites for work to log on and operate - My old router was out-dated and the VPN on one computer would not link to my company site - but I could access the internet, without logging on the VPN. (Oddly the other computer would log on via VPN, but a different company - I was told it was a security issue with the old router) Now both computers will log on the two different company VPNs with the SE1500.

This just saved me about $500/year, since I do not need to pay for a second cable company modem.

I am so glad this is available. I did not want to go wireless.

Note: There are no ethernet lights on the back ports for this model. - The ethernet lights blink via the front of the box through the front vents and are turned on/off via the switch on the back.

I have no over-heating problems. The unit is slightly lifted off the table by the cables in the back.

Update - 5/26/12- So far so good - No major problems with this product. Both computers are running strong on a daily basis over the internet and company VPNs. A few times I did get a no cable or low signal warning, but did a reboot of the modem, switch and computer and all was fine - Not sure if it was the switch or modem. When I called the cable company, they told me my modem showed it was off line, so I think it may have been the modem.....

NOTE: It seems that Amazon has crossed over reviews of several models SE 1500, SE 2500, etc., which may be confusing to the reader. This review is for the SE 1500

Hope this helps, j.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2012 4:31:39 PM PDT
S. Adams says:
Either your cable modem is acting as a router/firewall or else they give you two IP addresses and you are wide open to attack from the Internet. A switch does not have a firewall built in like a broadband router does.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 12:33:33 PM PDT
Russell Ham says:
a "dumb" (non-managed) switch can never have an IP address. His modem has a built in router. his network was improperly configured with 2 routers, which is why he couldn't use VPN from under the 2nd redundant router. now that he has a dumb switch, his router sees more computers on his network instead of seeing everything previously plugged the 2nd router as one IP address, due to NAT.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 3:56:13 AM PDT
Great comments! I was mystified by the review until I read your explanations.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 1:50:45 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2013 11:09:30 AM PDT
You could, but a much easier solution would be to buy a wireless range extender and then place that somewhere in your house that does receive a good signal which it will then rebroadcast in all directions from that point.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (382 customer reviews)

$29.99 $18.48