5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Perspective, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50 55-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I don't want to rehash everything the other reviewers have noted, so I'll try to keep my points fresh and quick.

MAIN POINTS:

1. You really need to adjust the picture settings on this TV (duh). Doing so will result in exquisite picture quality. I had heard that this TV gives "flagship quality at a mid-range price" and I am here to confirm that; Game of Thrones on Blu-Ray looks absolutely incredible. (Skip to the end of this review for my picture settings)

2. Virtually no input lag for Xbox games (crucial for FPS).

3. IR (image retention) has not been an issue whatsoever, even after playing Xbox games with a static HUD for a few hours at a time.

4. I am disappointed with the sound quality, mainly because other reviewers said it was better than most other TV's in this price range. While this may be true, in the end I consider it to be barely useable. However, when spending well over 1K on a TV you should probably invest in some sort of sound system also.

5. Buzzing has been nonexistent thus far, will update if I notice it.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:

1. Stand does not swivel.

2. Very slick styling; looks great in person.

3. Remote looks like it was made for a 1998 geriatric technology convention. (who cares about the remote, dude?)

4. There is no questioning the excellence of Amazon's customer service, but the "scheduled delivery" is worthless. Mine was scheduled from 9am-12pm. When it finally arrived at 5pm (lol) the driver said, "Nothing runs on time with freight." So be prepared to block out a whole day to receive this item (keep in mind this was my experience, not sure how common this is?). Amazon did give me $60 store credit for my troubles.

5. I have not had any problems with the ABL (automatic brightness limiting), but I do not watch hockey so if that is your thing then you might want to do more research.

6. I am not evaluating the wifi capabilities or apps because I connect to wifi through my Xbox and stream everything through it.

PICTURE SETTINGS:

-Background (for semi-noobs like myself): it seems many people use D-nice's picture settings (he is a calibrator that posts on the hi tech junkies forum). He recommends downloading some picture prep slides that he posted and running them for 100 hours to evenly age the phosphors on this TV. I didn't do this, mostly because I'm lazy. Other people use David Katzmaier's settings (he is a calibrator and reviewer for cnet). Ultimately I decided to place my settings exactly between these two "expert's" opinions because neither hit it dead on for me. Keep in mind these are dark room settings and that my TV hasn't been "properly aged." Frankly I don't care because these settings look perfect to me, but I may need to readjust in a few months if some "aging" occurs.

-Picture:
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 58
Color: 46
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0 (yes, turn this all the way down from 50)
Color Temp: Warm2

W/B Low R: +8
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: +1
Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.4 (I dropped this from 2.6 because my personal preference is slightly brighter)
Panel Brightness: Mid

HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-HDMI Settings
Leave all settings in this menu at their default

-Advanced picture submenu

Hope this helps!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 30 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:23:44 AM PDT
Ryan Burke says:
haha awesome man thanks for the reply I will probably have to settle for the Ut50 because for some reason best buy isn't selling that model and said they are discontinuing it. So far it seems that the main difference between the two besides the internet and black louver is that the ut50 doesnt perform well in a well lit room so i will be gaming and watching movies in complete darkness haha

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:26:57 PM PST
jrulong says:
Hey, man...don't be dissin 98 like it's old! : -D That's the year I graduated Highschool! Great review, by the way...

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:42:07 PM PST
emarone says:
Great review - definitely factored into my decision to spring for this set. Your calibration settings were an immediate improvement over the out of the box image quality, and are a great starting point to start fine-tuning for my tastes and environment.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:58:25 AM PST
This tv does swivel from side to side (if it rests on a stand of course). My dad just recently purchased this tv and I helped set it up. I was careful not to overtighten the screws; maybe that had something to do with it. Hope this helps others in their decision to buy this tv.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:08:05 AM PST
J. Jordan says:
Very good review. Great purchase.

Gregorian, A couple of questions....I purchased the ST50-65 inch and when running through the settings the "3:2 pull down" was grayed out and set to off. Will this affect any other settings? Also, you have been "aging" for six months...any setting changes since June?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:13:11 PM PST
Gregorian says:
J. Jordan,

Thanks for the comment. First off, I'm very jealous that you got the 65 inch. Secondly, the "3.2 pull down" is grayed out for me as well so mine is currently set to "Off." However, both of the references I looked at had it set to "On" so that's what I put in my review. I'm really not sure if or how it would affect any other settings. And finally, the blacks do seem to have gotten slightly better since the break in period. I have made some very minor adjustments since posting this review. They are so minor that I did not bother to update the settings. The changes I made came from boredom, not from dissatisfaction. I will say that I bumped the gamma adjustment back to 2.6 (slightly darker) for movies, but left it at 2.4 for cable. Here are the changes I made in case you are curious. As I said, I doubt anyone would truly notice a difference unless they are an experienced calibrator or videophile.

Gamma adjustment: 2.6 for movies; 2.4 for cable
BE AWARE THAT EACH HDMI INPUT HAS IT'S OWN SETTINGS!!!!!! So if you adjust the settings on HDMI 1 for cable, you also need to adjust them on whatever input your Blu-ray or other devices are running off of.

Color: +45

W/B Low B: 0

Hope this helps!!

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:28:55 PM PST
Grampie says:
Gregorian: Thanks for your settings information. I just imputed them and the picture is great. So much better than the factory settings. Thanks again. Joe Mac

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 7:24:12 AM PST
bled01 says:
Thanks for the recommendations on the settings. I copied these and they are much better than any of the factory options. But I would like to lighten up the picture some. Would it be better to adjust the Gamma lower or just increase the brightness?

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 12:56:23 PM PST
S. J. Buck says:
Used your settings: significant improvement over the defaults. Many thanks! Also very pleased with it and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 4:07:58 PM PST
C. Albanese says:
You're saying the chance the delivery service might be late is a deal breaker in getting the best HDTV for the money? doesn't make much sense to me, you only have to deal with them one day but can enjoy that TV for years to come. As far as the installation process, don't you have any friends? buy them a six pack and order pizza, they'll help you out for an hour or so.

Review Details