4.0 out of 5 stars Very good scanner that seems to jam frequently, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i Mobile Document Scanner (Office Product)
I purchased this scanner in conjunction with DevonThink Pro Office for my Mac. An expensive combination but I have been itching to go paperless and the Fuji ScanSnap line of scanners have native support for DevonThink which is generally regarded as one of (if not the best) the better document management software packages out there for the Mac.

The scanner is extremely easy to setup and is very compact. Scanning is pretty simple, although it's worth noting that the "forward" document side of scans is the side that is facing towards the paper tray... which is a bit confusing... fortunately the ScanSnap tries to orient your scans automatically, so not that big of a deal, but if you are scanning a multi-page document then if you don't properly then your resulting multi-page scan will be in the wrong order.

Scan quality itself is outstanding. I've scanned business cards, lease contracts (that were 4-5 times the length of a normal page), documents with lots of small type, etc, and this scanner does a great job with all of it. I even scanned some old birthday cards and they came out looking great, even the color seemed to be pretty accurate. One of the big advantages of this scanner (in addition to the small size and speed) is that it is full duplex, so you can scan all of your double sided stuff in one pass, which saves quite a bit of time, especially when scanning things like financial documents which are printed out on both sides (and which you want to fully capture).

The only real downsides that I have found to the scanner is that there is no output paper tray, and the input paper tray is very limited (perhaps 10 sheets safely go in).. so if you need to scan larger documents it can be a bit of a hassle. Also, I don't know about others but I do get semi-regular paper jams with this unit. Frequently a scan will look like it has gone through fine but the ScanSnap Manager software comes up with an error indicating that scanning was halted due to a jam and I have to open the unit up, and re-do my scan after reloading the paper... I've noticed that this seems to happen quite a bit more frequently with certain kinds of paper, paper folded a certain way, etc.

I don't think much can be done about this, but I have gotten into the habit of watching the scanner and trying to "pre-straighten" any documents that appear that they might not load correctly... I also will sometimes grab things that have scanned so that the paper output area does not get cluttered and potentially cause the scanner to believe that it is jammed.

The second thing I've had happen is that the paper loading tray basically folds up and out of the unit. This is a clever trick so that you can fold the whole thing down for travel... folding the paper tray down also puts the scanner to "sleep" (the blue light goes off). The problem that I've had is that the paper loading tray is a little bit flimsy. When I opened it up one time I applied just a bit too much pressure while trying to extend the final section and it came off in my hand. Fortunately I was able to fix it, but it was a bit surprising.

I really like this scanner, but as I occasionally scan larger documents I am wondering if I should have upgraded to the next model up, which has a larger capacity than this one... it's also worth pointing out that this scanner does track the use of "consumable" parts in the scanner, and after those parts are exhausted, you will be asked to replace them. Hopefully they are not too expensive.

On the whole though, great product, drivers work great, and so far it's worth the price I paid.

[Add comment]