5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this camera, May 18, 2014
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 150 IS Digital Camera (Silver) (Electronics)
(Note: This review is by Lydia McGrew, not by Tim.) I bought this camera after a lot of shopping. (Full disclosure: I didn't actually purchase it through Amazon.) I am not particularly good at photography, and it is just what I need. It has enabled me to take really nice shots both inside and out. You do have to get the owner's manual and read a little bit, but it's not a steep learning curve. I have found it quite easy, and I'm so far *extremely* pleased with the results. It takes pictures quickly enough for me, and even one or two that it said were going to be blurry were quite nice. I find that indoor pictures with lower light are more likely to blur if you use the zoom function. The orange hand-shake symbol will warn you, and you can try zooming back out. It usually does not give the hand-shake warning unless I try to use zoom, even under indoor lighting conditions. The files are rather large, so not convenient for sending by e-mail. Perhaps I could change the file size by altering the default pixel settings, but they look so nice that I don't want to mess with anything. I'm getting better shots with this than with our fancier Canon with more settings, because I can understand this camera. After approx. a week of use, I highly recommend it. Don't forget--you do need to buy a separate memory card.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2014 1:34:47 AM PDT
Please tell me is it made in Japan or in China?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2014 4:41:37 AM PDT
Rubén says:
china

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 9:37:18 AM PDT
Me T says:
After you attach a file to the email, does your email client/program have an option to reduce the file size? In 'Mail', on a Mac, after attaching an image file, there is an option to choose an attachment size: Actual Size, Large, Medium, Small.

If you reduce the resolution, file size of the originally taken image, then you may not have a quality image to use later; for example, an enlargement or if you manipulate the image in Pixelmator or Photoshop.

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 9:55:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2014 9:56:28 PM PDT
Beulah says:
Philosopher:

I enjoyed your review on the ELPH 150 (I was looking for a gift for a niece of mine), but note that you considered a large file size a problem when sending e-mails. That is easily remedied, and with respect to "Me T", who has also commented here, there is a much preferable solution to the "automatic" e-mail reduction feature that some e-mail clients offer.

Almost any basic graphics program will allow you to reduce the size (in pixels) of your image file (almost certainly a .JPG file with this level of camera. Then you can re-save the image, changing the filename slightly, such as by adding a letter to the end of the filename (NOT the three letter file "extension"!). I usually add the letters "EMAIL" to the in front of the filename, myself. To make the file that you will send even smaller, you can change the compression factor. I don't like to go much below 75 percent myself there as compression result in some, but often not noticeable loss of quality. You now have a new file with a MUCH smaller size, between a twelfth to a twentieth of your original size. For most email purposes, the quality will remain quite acceptable, I just would not recommend printing from that second file. (Perhaps I should mention that I regularly get my stuff printed at up to 24x36 inches, so retaining quality is important. A 4x6 print might still look just fine - it "depends".)

For a totally no-strings-or-spam-attached free (and lightning fast) image viewer with the ability to quickly perform such operations, I would recommend IrfanView. Just Google it. The learning curve for that program is quite easy. There are probably some tutorials online, but I've never needed them, as I have a good deal of experience in this area (mostly gained by all of the misatkes I have made along the way. LOL).

www.irfanview.com

Quite a few other "tweaks" and adjustments are possible in IrfanView, of course, but this one would apply to the situation you mentioned. The install file, and "plug-ins" for IrfanView will download faster than almost ANY other graphics program out there, as it is written "from scratch", rather than having been compiled from existing (and mostly redundant) software "modules".

You'll need to transfer your image files from the camera to a computer, of course. IrfanView is still only available for the Windows OS, unfortunately, but it will work with ANY version and is incredibly memory efficient. It is also available in an incredible number of languages, due to the efforts of a great many fans of the program.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (264 customer reviews)

$149.00 $109.00