3.0 out of 5 stars Good receiver but has problems, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Yamaha RX-V475 5.1-Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
**UPDATE** 17 March, 2014
I think I have finally cracked the code, or just about. I have disabled ARC on my Panasonic TV and the AVR and I am only having the handshake issues a couple times a month, down from every day. Power up sequence didn't make any difference, replacing the cables didn't work, and upgrading the DirectV didn't work.

So ARC seems to be the issue and I don't need it anyway due to having everything plugged into the AVR so I am still happy with the setup I have and feel a bit better about the purchase. With that said, I do wish this was not an issue at all.

Cheers everyone.

**UPDATE** 09 December, 2013
Dealing with this handshake issue has been a pain. After a lot of research on this I have come to the conclusion that this is apparently very common for people using HDMI for video and audio. It is entirely an HDMI handshake issue and switching cables doesn't fix it. It seems that the HDCP protocol is very sensitive to small deviations and will 'fail safe' by refusing to authenticate the signal if there is any doubt it will sync. I have read that installing an HDMI/HDCP switch might help as I mentioned in my original post but be sure that it supports your high definition features like 120Hz picture and new multi-channel formats like Dobly TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. I have also read that a specific power up sequence also helps as follows. The sequence is to ensure that the TV and AVR is powered up fully before powering on the source device like the DirecTV/DVR box or DVD. I will do this for a while and will report back on my review as to the success or lack of success. I may also try to switch to using an optical cable for audio signal if that doesn't work.

**ORIGINAL POST**
After a lot of research and quandary, I decided to go for the Yamaha RX-V475 for an AV receiver. Setup was easy and fast. However, after a day or two I began to notice that while watching my DirecTV with it, I was getting a loss of audio and a pick hue on the video or loss of video all together. Turning on and off didn't fix it and eventually I realized the only fix was to remove power from it. After a week or so of this, I called Yamaha to inquire about the issue and I was told to replace the cables which I did. With the new cables the issue still existed and so I called Yamaha again. They then told me to send it back to Amazon for a replacement as it sounded like it was broken. I got a replacement and set it up and bang...same thing.

Now I was stumped so I turned to Google for answers. After a search for various strings, I eventually began to see that I wasn't the only one having these issues. Now Yamaha seemed to be the focus of many of the issues, Denon and other manufactures also had the issue and mainly with PC's connected to them. I eventually narrowed the problem down to an HDMI signal issue using ARC. Specifically the fact that when the resolutions change there is a chance that the electronics begin to loose their sync with each other causing the exact issues I was having. There is a piece of hardware you can buy for about $100 that keeps the connection live regardless of the resolution so loosing sync doesn't happen. However, after spending hundreds on an AV receiver, I was not ready to spend another hundo.

My fix...I am using DirecTV so I went to the resolution setting and deselected all resolutions except 1080i forcing the DirectTV box to always output at 1080i resolution so it's not always changing back and forth. All channels are still visable and work fine, even the ones that broadcast at lower resolution because the box seems to output at 1080i regardless. I haven't had any more issues with the pink screen or signal loss but I do get occasional audio loss I am guessing due to switching back and forth from surround sound and stereo. While this is a pain, I can deal with it for now.

However, I am very unhappy that Yamaha doesn't address this issue for their products and somehow apply and fix so this isn't an issue. There seems to be a lot of people having it. Whats more disappointing is that their own technical support seemed not to know anything about this and advised me to return it. LOL

While all features of this receiver is awesome and audio quality is excellent, I cannot advise anyone to buy this if you are using a PC, DirecTV or anything else that may change resolution because of the issues I have had. Honestly, if I didn't throw away the box already, I would return it to Amazon for a refund and get something else entirely.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2013 10:45:31 AM PDT
Roy Samuel says:
Sucks that you had that issue with this AVR. Just wanted to chime in on your review and say I've had no issues with HDMI switching on resolutions with this AVR. Have a PS3, Xbox 360 and my Comcast Cable Box hooked up to it and have had zero issues like the one you've unfortunately experienced.

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 5:40:45 AM PDT
K. Hales says:
IT sounds like you may have a defective Directv box. I wonder if you could have that unit replaced by Directv? I replaced one DTV receiver after the HDMI out wouldn't go past 720p despite having a 1080p monitor. The other thing you may do is buy or try a new HDMI 2.0 cable.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2013 8:29:06 AM PDT
E. Pena says:
Thanks for the comment. I also would like to replace the Directv box but they are not keen to just do that for me. The cables have been replaced twice already.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2013 11:06:48 AM PDT
Bobby Blue says:
I am so glad for this comment. I was thinking about swithing to Direct TV but this changed my mind. It sure does sound to me that the problem is not the receiver but rather the problem with your cable provider.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2013 11:42:38 AM PDT
E. Pena says:
I hate to say it but I think you are right. I love DirecTV and have been with them for a long time. I will be upgrading my DVR soon so I hope it will work better. I will post back one way or another.

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 6:04:31 PM PST
Nils C. says:
Interesting problem indeed: 2 days ago my audio feed through my tv's (Samsung LED) ARC-enabled HDMI port to my RX-V475 "HMDI OUT" (ARC) stopped working. It worked fine since I installed it in September of this year. I have a Fios box that fed through the receiver. The interesting thing is that initially I was able to manually get the ARC to work, now nothing. I have spent the entire day on forums concerning themselves with this issue from a "I think it's my TV" and "it's the 475". I have gone through every conceivable setting on both TV and receiver without luck. The frustrating part is that the receiver IS recognized by the TV as a source and will turn off when I turn the TV off (through HDMI-CEC). Cables are the same but they worked 3 days ago. If you figure something out please post again. I simply not convinced what the malfunctioning source is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2013 11:58:40 AM PST
Will do mate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2013 10:50:11 AM PST
R. Mccarthy says:
I am having the exact same problem with Onkyo receiver! Replaced Comcast box, then cables. Ready to buy new but what is this device you mention for $100? It would be alot cheaper! Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2013 12:15:36 PM PST
E. Pena says:
Okay. For the record, I haven't gotten this so I cannot vouch for weather it works or not.

It is called a HDMI/HDCP compliant switch. From what I understand, the HDCP part in the important part because it generates is own authentication signal and makes they signal loss problem less of a problem. Again, i do not have this so I cannot say weather it works.

With further research, I have also read that simply powering up in a specific sequence may also help. The sequence is to ensure that the TV and AVR is powered up fully before powering on the source device like the DirecTV/DVR box or DVD. I will be ding this for a while and will report back on my review as to the success or lack of.

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 8:26:46 PM PST
Lake Woman says:
I have this receiver and DirecTV and have not had any problems at all. DirecTV into the receiver HDMI-2 and then the receiver out to the TV. I've had the receiver for a few months now and love it!

Sorry you are having problems :(
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›