2.0 out of 5 stars SD-YD250 lasted only 9 months : I cannot get warranty help., September 11, 2006
This review is from: Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker with Yeast Dispenser, White (Kitchen)
This is just for the record, and to prepare you for a disappointment if you have my bad luck. My first Panasonic breadmaker gave me about 12 years of good service and just slowly died of old age; I had no complaints. I was just sorry to see it go. I bought this new model breadmaker (SD-YD250) last December (2005). It has been producing SUPERB bread (about two a week, wheat or cinnamon-raisin). I have been immensely pleased with this machine. But now it has just suddenly failed. The manual is useless when it comes to trouble-shooting, and the website is a gigantic run-around: I think there is no help at all for Panasonic breadmakers on the Panasonic web site, though it takes some time to find this fact out. But now I am getting quite a run-around trying to get some action on the warranty. I am disappointed with Panasonic. I had thought they were a better company. It could be that I am just a very unlucky person, but I thought I would put my experience on record.... (Panasonic automatically sends me to a repair facility which says it does not repair breadmakers, and also says I should contact Panasonic....I am locked in a loop!)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2008 7:56:20 PM PST
S. peters says:
So, ... are you still goin' round an round in that loop?

Posted on Dec 9, 2008 10:15:06 PM PST
Dan Goodwin says:
You know what it is though, right? 12 years ago your machine was made in Japan, now it is made in China. Everyone is trying to save on the manufacturing costs, so the quality goes down the toilet. I thought people would be used to this fact by now.

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 7:57:54 AM PDT
Jack Seyffer says:
Panasonic says my breadmaker is under warranty but I will need to ship it somewhere and it will take 7-10 working days to get a shipping label to me. No quite a run-around but not very impressive service.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 7:25:05 PM PDT
Mona Lisa says:

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 8:02:17 PM PST
T. McLean says:
That was over 3 years ago. I wonder how this problem was eventually resolved?

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 1:44:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2011 11:12:02 AM PDT
S. Nelson says:
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread; I can say I've had the exact same experience with my bread machine. The 1st four loaves we made were great, but since then, they've been coming out un-risen raw-in-the-center messes. I called Panasonic for service and at first I was somewhat pleasantly surprised that there was a service center around 20 miles away. Turns out they don't work on bread makers. I called the next closest service center, they don't work on them either, admitting, they "can't get parts, so [they] stopped working on them." I called Panasonic back and they found the nearest service center that will actually work on bread makers to be in Albany, NY, over 200 miles away from where I live. I called said service center directly to confirm, and they informed me that they do in fact work on bread makers, but that since Panasonic considers bread makers a "walk-in service item" I will be responsible for shipping both to and FROM the repair facility. Stay classy Panasonic. Next time I'll be sure to spring for a Cuisinart or a Zojirushi.

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 6:22:49 AM PST
I was considering buying this bread machine from other reviews I've read however as Panasonic can't stand behind its product any better than this and support customers I think I shall be looking at Cuisinart or Zojirushi instead. Thank you for your post.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 10:06:35 AM PST
Kort says:
Walter, was it ever resolved. My Pany just died too, after less than a year of making great loaves. I'm not looking forward to the warranty "loop"!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 10:49:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2011 10:57:50 AM PDT
Adriana D says:
Well, I've had mine 2 weeks and the kneading wheel won't stay attached. Same runaround story - the first two repair facilities they told me to ship to don't do breadmakers. Panasonic stated that they would reimburse for shipping, btw, you just have to fax them your shipping receipt. Eventually, thanks to a very good and determined customer service rep named Christine, they found one place that said they could service it. When I called that service center to confirm, they wanted me to send a $25 check in the mail with the unit to cover their shipping and handling. First off, I don't generally send checks in the mail -very insecure. Second, why on earth would I be asked to send a check for warranty work on a 2 week old unit? Panasonic should already have a system in place to reimburse their approved facilities for return shipping. So, I called Panasonic back - they're having a manager call me back within the next 48 business hours. Will update on how it goes. But for those who need a repair facility for this unit, the place that they say will fix them is in Memphis, TN and is called Whitby TV. Phone number is 901-357-0287.

Update: Got a call back from Panasonic. They said they had talked to the repair facility in Memphis and that there's no need to send them a check, and that arrangements had been made for the Memphis facility to file a claim with Panasonic for the return shipping. Reiterated that Panasonic will refund me up to $20 for shipping the breadmaker to Memphis as long as I fax them the shipping receipt. I'm shipping it out on Monday.

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 4:40:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2011 6:31:52 PM PDT
B. LaLone says:
I had the same story. Had an SD-YD200 for nearly 10 years, running 2-3 loaves a week so when it died I naturally updated to the 250. It lasted about six months and the four-hour cycle bombed. We used the two-hour cycle for awhile but the bread has a very course texture with lots of big holes, and not thoroughly baked. Panasonic wouldn't honor the warranty because I bought it on eBay, even though it was new, sealed in the box with all paperwork. They wouldn't even tell me what was wrong with it or what parts I needed. They sent me to four service centers, all of whom do not work on bread makers, then they told me to call a local small appliance shop. The small shop doesn't work on them either but they did know something about customer service. First they asked the right questions and correctly diagnosed the problem--a bad control board. Then they searched the net and found a source for the board: Amazon, believe it or not! So I installed the board (Part #ADR10A134-0S) and got the most beautiful loaf of fine-textured, crusty bread you could want. Unfortunately, loaf number 2 was the end of that. The four-hour cycle already bombed after just one loaf! I am still trying to deal with the fallout from that. Back to holey bread for the duration. I am NOT impressed with the current Panasonic quality, tech support or customer service. Worse than nothing.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (2,337 customer reviews)
 (1,548)