5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Expectations, February 26, 2012
This review is from: Silicon Power Rugged Armor A80 1 TB 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 Military Grade Portable External Hard Drive SP010TBPHDA80S3B (Blue) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 3:13 Mins

I work as a Karaoke DJ and tend to keep all of my music on an external hard drive. The problem with that is people spill drinks and get clumsy around equipment when they're drunk. So, I decided to do some research and look for an external HDD that would be able to support the large volume of music and at the same time present me with the comfort and confidence in knowing I have an external HDD that will withstand "torture".

I ordered my A80 1TB HDD on February 13th and it arrived February 16th. So, right off the back their was a prompt and quick delivery of the product. When I opened the package I was very pleased to see the sleek, clean, ergonomic design but at the same time I could tell that this unit holds a solid quality feel. It comes with 2 USB 3.0 Super speed cables. 1 of which rests beautifully inside the side of the HDD case. Not only does the Silicon-Power A80 use the Asmedia AS1051 processor they are also one of the first USB 3.0 chipset certified manufacturers. Silicon-Power promises that this unit meets the water resistant standard and the U.S. military drop-test standards. I will run both the drop test and water test on video for this review.(COMING SOON)

Before I run the drop and water tests I wanted to run a Benchmarking test. So, I used HD Tach. Now remember, anyone running any benchmark tests must understand that the mileage depends on hardware configuration. Basically, what type of computer hardware and software setup you're running.

I'm running:

Windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 32Bit OS
2.67 GHz Intel Core2 Duo
ASUSTeK P5Q SE2 MOBO
4GB RAM

HD Tach

1TB Silicon Power Armor A80 USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive : AVG Sequential Read 89.2 MB/S
AVG Sequential Write 88.4 MB/S
Burst Speed 127.3 MB/S

The result of this test helps me see that this unit IS FAST!!

I did some further comparison to give people an idea of real time transfer rates.

5GB File size -> USB 2.0 External HDD = 14:05 minutes
5GB File size -> USB 3.0 External HDD = 4:25 minutes

It took about 3x longer to transfer a 5GB file using USB 2.0

My suggestion to anyone looking for a high quality and durable External HDD. Get the A80!
I'm 100% confident in the products Silicon-Power produces.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2012 3:08:08 PM PST
You either have balls of steel or a bit of money to waste...

Either way it was an excellent review. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 4:29:05 PM PDT
Well he is braver than I, but remember the warranty. ;-)

Tim Magee

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 11:32:45 AM PDT
Holly Eby says:
Thanks so much for taking the risk and showing it to us all. Much appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:11:56 PM PDT
GFunk303 says:
You're welcome Holly, I'm glad I can help give people an idea of what this product can do.

Posted on May 2, 2012 3:39:43 PM PDT
Twoshawn says:
You might be the perfect person to answer this question: My wife wants to use it as a storage device for her music at work because they are going to virtual machines. I've been told that if we are going to do this, that the hard drive CANNOT have pre-installed software. I can't find anywhere if there is software installed on it. Can you give me any info about this aspect?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 10:28:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 10:51:06 PM PDT
GFunk303 says:
Twoshawn, I don't recall there being any software pre-installed on the hard drive. I took a look at mine and only noticed the files I placed onto it. But, from what I understand when you purchase the product, they give you a link to download free software called SPWidget. http://www.silicon-power.com/download/english I'm about 95% sure that you would actually have to download the software. I hope I was somewhat helpful. Good luck and happy hunting.

*EDIT Okay Twoshawn, I received confirmation. This hard drive DOES NOT come with pre-installed software. I can now assure you that this will be a great device for your wife to store her music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 10:41:30 PM PDT
GFunk303 says:
Thank you for the comment. I'm glad I could help.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 5:54:51 PM PDT
Yes, it is a bare bones drive, no software, no docs, nothing.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 3:07:26 PM PDT
Disney Teach says:
Dude, you are crazy. LOL. You convinced me to buy it. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 7:32:43 PM PDT
I too am a karaoke dj(10 years) and my friend Gretchen calls me GFunk. Weird! So how has the hard drive held up so far. My current one is a WD 320gb. I've dropped it so many times from around 3-4ft that the casing is falling off. Yet...it works without a hicup. I am guessing I've dropped it at least a half dozen times. I think it is time to upgrade before I lose a couple hundred gig worth of music. Thanks for the detailed review.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›