5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement after the old one fried, October 10, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 2 Console Slim - Black (Video Game)
I bought one of the old PS2 systems when it came out and it worked very well. It was my DVD player as well as my video game console. When I went on vacation I accidentally left it on and it fried. After five good years of service, it finally died.

I had to buy a replacement and so I bought the slimmer version. It works just as well as the other one did and takes up a lot less space on my TV stand. It plays all my games and my DVDs, so I am very satisfied with this Sony product.

I refuse to buy a PlayStation 3 just because I refuse to spend a great wad of cash for a video game console. And with the new Black and White PS3 systems that are being released in November which do not feature PlayStation 2 compatibility, I don't see why I should buy a PS3 right now when it means I'd have to keep my PlayStation 2 just to play my PS2 games is pointless.

If you're looking for a good game system for a low price, buy the PlayStation 2, it's very good for games and DVDs, especially since WII doesn't play DVDs.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2008 8:39:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2008 8:44:23 AM PST
edwin3991 says:
Excellent Review... This is a excellent Gaming Console, and it has WAY MORE GAMES than any other Console. I have the Silver
Model 90000 series (newest version). There's so much talk about the Microsoft Xbox 360, but it still has some reliability issues.
Just look at some of the news concerning the Xbox 360 RRoD:

Copy and Paste these links to your Internet Web Browser:

Posted on May 16, 2010 3:03:57 PM PDT
odog502 says:
I completely agree with your comments on the PS3 compatibility. Backwards compatibility was big selling point for me, but I was going to wait for the price to go down. Then they decide to no longer needed backwards compatibility, so I no longer desired to buy a PS3.

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 10:26:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2010 10:35:10 AM PDT
DaemonXprt says:
I say the exact same things about ps3, and I've had my slim for 5 years and its starting to glitch on my Rockband games.. I thought it was my new TV but my delivery guys said that its actually the system that would be cutting out the games like if it was defective- I figured it was bout time to get a new Ps2 and now I'm convinced :.) my b/f's tryin to talk me into getting an X-box although, lol- blehh

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 10:10:58 AM PST
Sully says:
The backwards compatibility (or lack thereof) of the PS3 is a downer, but the high price of the PS3 comes from the fact that its still the best Blu Ray player on the market. I've never had an issue where a Blu Ray wouldn't play in my PS3, and the games for the PS3 (while starting kind of slow), are now taking off and will be leaping into the realm of great game hood this year. The 'Uncharted' franchise is the best adventure game on the market, as for action, you really can't compete with 'God of War 3'. Personally though the Blu Ray player was worth the selling price for me. I watch far more films than I play games and I prefer them to be showcased the best way possible. The PS3 accomplishes this with ease.

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 11:48:56 AM PST
K. Mitchell says:
god i miss my old fat ps2. once i found out that our new ps3 (the one after our old 1 broke) couldent play backwards compatabiltiy, me and my family drug out our fat ps2 that sat under a dresser for about 3 years and started playing it..... D: after about playing it foir a few days the disk drive thing broke. it wouldnt come out at all so we had to break into the ps2 and get the disk out :( no more ps2 for me :(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 10:49:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 28, 2012 7:41:28 PM PDT]

Posted on May 17, 2012 6:50:56 PM PDT
poormomma says:
is this 1 a dvd player?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 10:38:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2014 10:40:02 PM PST
Azhrei says:
the high price of the PS3 when it released wasn't cause it could play blue rays rofl....... it was BECAUSE of the backwards compatability.... having to put the physical emotion engine chip and other hardware in the huge FAT PS3 for it to play PS2 games (physical ones). Not to mention all the unneeded crap that was in it like card readers. People don't seem to get what's needed to make a console backwards compatible with PHYSICAL DISCS. Hell to make the PS4 BC with PS3 discs (the PS3 is so complicated) they'd have to toss half the hardware in current PS3's IN a PS4. Essentially you'd have two COMPLETELY different consoles in one "box". Talk about a price jump.... Now if you're playing a digital download that's a different story..... the emulation is built into the digital game.

Honestly most people dont' give a crap about BC. At least anyone who uses their head. If you want to play the old system's games.... don't toss the old system! d'oh I still have a FAT original PS2. I'm buying this slim to use it and the FAT will go in the closet as a backup. lol and yes I have a PS3 Slim, and getting a PS4.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (630 customer reviews)

$149.99