Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Train Table for Better Price, June 9, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Wooden Multi-Activity Table (Toy)
My two-year-old daughter was playing with her trains on the dining room floor before we got this table. We were all constantly stepping on pieces, having to redo the track layout, etc. Now she can play for quite a while without wreaking "butt-zilla" havoc by sitting on everything.

She does sometimes still sit on the table next to the track, but the table is sturdy enough to hold her 30 lbs. just fine. And when she takes the track apart, at least the pieces are enclosed rather than being scattered all over the floor.

No need to buy the brand name (Thomas) tables...this one is so much less expensive and still solid. The drawer is also quite deep and long to store the rest of her train set accessories. We have several Melissa and Doug wooden toys and so far we've had no construction issues with them. With that said, there was one screw through one of the beams that hold the table top up that never really went in to the table edge. Like I said, though, it still holds plenty of weight.

Once she outgrows the train phase I'm sure she will still enjoy using clay, a dollhouse, or something else on it.

Note that it is quite large--about 48" x 32"--so don't get it if you don't have room for it. We chose this one to accomodate her train set. Because it is so large we have it away from the wall so our daughter can walk around it on all sides. As she gets taller/able to reach farther (she's currently about 35"), we'll be able to put the long side up against a wall to save some floor space.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 2, 2011 11:58:28 AM PST
D says:
The size of the table and your daughter's height are helpful to know. My grandchildren are about the same height. It's good to know about the spacious storage drawer, also. Thank you.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 12:08:02 AM PDT
Liam Phoenix says:
The stock photos look like it may hold the train set assembled inside the table when you put the lid on. Is there enough room to leave the train set up so your kid can do crafts on top of the table surface without taking the whole set apart and putting it in the drawer? I'd really like to find a table that will fit my daughter's train set while allowing me to fix the track in place and still close up the table so it can be used for other things.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 1:51:13 PM PST
Lynda Marie says:
This was review was quite helpful. I am hoping someone with this table can respond to one question: Can this activity table also be used as a table to host a tea party or other creative multi purpose uses with two white chairs? My daughter has a good size bedroom, but we are trying to minimize consumption and buy things we can use several ways.....she is receiving a play kitchen for Christmas, but also loves to paint, play with trains, doll houses, puzzles and legos. Shes 22 months old now, but we want something she can grow with. Any suggestions comments are welcomed. I am a first time mom and she is our only child. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 2:29:16 PM PST
Mom of Two says:
This is definitely a great multifunctioning table but I think it is might be too big for what you are thinking. Plus it is raised on all sides to keep the stuff on the table from rolling off and that might hinder her painting/drawing. For legos, doll houses and etc it would be perfect but I wouldn't recommend it for art activities b/c her arms wouldn't be comfortable.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:05:35 AM PST
Check says:
You say the table is 48 x 32, yet the product details lists the dimensions as 5.7 x 25 x 57.5?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 10:55:22 PM PDT
Sara says:
You could probably easily cut a piece of thick plywood and lay it in the table to bring the surface level with the sides. Painting and drawing would be a little more comfortable that way, and cheaper than buying a whole new table for arts and crafts.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:03:16 PM PST
IrishCookie says:
I love seeing that girls play with trains. Back when I was a kid this was a toy only for boys. What a shame we missed out on so much pleasure.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 4:22:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2013 4:22:53 PM PDT
K. Russo says:
@Check...You are quoting from the box dimensions. This is what the product description says:

"With a large 50-inch-by-32-1/2-inch (L x W) surface area, the Multi-Activity Table offers a spacious platform for a variety of activities. Its 16-inch height is conveniently sized for young children, making it easy for them to access the table while either kneeling or sitting on the floor."

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 11:20:20 AM PST
"butt-zilla" that is the nickname on my son with the same age when he plays with his trains...lol.....thank yu so much for this review...buying our new table now!

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 3:54:49 PM PST
LeeAnn says:
I used to have a large children's store and carried lots of Melissa and Doug. I always thought they had wonderful products. Another usage would be to secure Lego bases to the underside so the table can be flipped and used for building. Some of my previous customers had a lid made so it could be used as a coffee table when the kids are not at play.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›