4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good - if you are realistic with expectations _UPDATE, October 16, 2008
This review is from: Black & Decker NST2036 Heavy-Duty 36-Volt Cordless Electric String Trimmer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I've had this for over a month now. First project was to clear a walkway about 100' long with severe overgrowth (vines, vegetation, tall grass) and this thing shined. It has plenty of power and I was worried about battery life so I knocked everything down and then came back and "cleaned" things up.
Standard use has been on my yard. Just under a half acre, takes me about 20 minutes to trim and I can usually get two yard cutting excursions done with one battery charge...running at full steam a majority of the time.
This unit has plenty of power compared to the 18v trimmer I tried previously and it actually maintains "gas" level power for a good solid 35-40 minutes. I will say it's a big letdown though when the battery does lose it's charge...especially coming from a gas trimmer. (with this you wait, with gas you refill...so you need some patience)
The main drawback so far is the line feed system. I think it works well, but from the factory the spool is over wound. I'd rather have less string on the spool and refill more often than the constant binding from too much string on the spool and having to take the cover off because the line won't feed while tapping the unit. This has been an issue with gas trimmers in the past as well and will just take some experimenting.
The unit is heavy, but no more than a solid built gas unit. If you have trouble holding 15lbs for any amount of time, maybe it's not the unit for you.
Edging is not a problem. I read some reviews before purchasing that said this unit would not function as an edger, but I've got curbs, flowerbeds and a driveway that say otherwise. Just tilt the unit, keep the head behind you as you move down the line and it works just fine.
I do wish an extra battery was more realistically priced, and if you have a larger yard (say an acre with flowerbeds and trees, etc) you'll probably want the extra battery, just in case. If you're like me and have an average sized yard, this will be fine. Re-charging usually takes an overnight period.

Overall, I give this unit four stars. It's tough, reliable, functions smoothly and only has a few minor quirks which I'm sure will be worked out as I get used to owning and operating. If you are like me and just can't mix gas for a 2 cycle motor, get this or pay another $100 ($350 total) and buy a 4cycle trimmer that does it for you. This one seems better for the environment.

and an update...after having this for multiple seasons, I can say that I'm even more impressed with this product. My neighbors are constantly asking to use this, especially when the gas in their trimmers has gone bad from sitting. I also use this to travel to the beach and trim our walkway...no gas smell in the car, compact and easily handles the 200ft of deck. I have had the "battery failed" light blink when trying to recharge immediately after using the trimmer, but after removing, letting the battery cool and then placing on the charger, it works fine and holds a great charge.
I'm a big fan!