5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality for the price., January 10, 2010
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Men's 179A.331613 Leisure Raven Diablo Automatic Skeleton Black Rubber Strap Watch (Watch)
I recently found myself needing to replace my trusty 10 yr old Seiko Kinetic. I have always enjoyed watches and rely on them so this was not a hasty purchase. After many hours of hunting and research I finally decided to buy the Stuhrling Original Raven Diablo (Silvertone) from Amazon. So far this has turned out to be an excellent decision and I am extremely pleased.

I had no specific brand in mind when I began my research-I simply wanted an affordable timepiece that met the following criteria:
-automatic mechanical movement
-rubber adjustable strap
-water resistance
-luminescent hands and markers
-quality crystal
-interesting (might as well enjoy it too, right?)

It is very clear to me that Stuhrling Original aims to make the purchase of a new watch a special event for the "common man". This was clear to me before the watch was even out of the box as the packaging is very nicely done. Not necessary, but certainly appreciated.

The movement thus far has proven to be very accurate and lost only 11 seconds the first 24 hrs and only 2-7 seconds over each 24 hr period since-excellent accuracy for a mechanical watch out of the box and better than I could have hoped for. The black silicone-like rubber strap is robustly built, very soft, flexible and "grabby" so the strap keepers actually work. I am extremely happy with the readability in the dark. My concerns in this area were put to rest the first night when after only 2 hrs out-of-box in moderate household lighting the hands and markers were still very visible following 8 hrs sleep.

The watch is very ruggedly built and I feel that the quality is outstanding for the price paid. I have received many comments on the watch and find myself looking at it more often than is really necessary. I definitely like the fact that it's a skeleton, and the moving parts are visible. There are a lot of nicely done details and I especially like the use of skeleton-ized carbon fiber on the dial and the black PVD coated case. I should also note that the bezel has a finely brushed stainless steel appearance and is shinier than what appears in some of the photos.

One potential drawback for some is the fact that this is NOT a small watch and with the grippy nature of the strap can create issues when donning/wearing tighter long sleeves. A minor issue for me, but one worth being aware of.

Time will tell in regards to durability and longevity of the watch but I am expecting good things. I'm extremely happy with this purchase to this point and feel that this timepiece is an excellent value.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]