5.0 out of 5 stars Review, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Celtic Thunder: Mythology (DVD)
not yet received cause this is a pre order and can't wait to get it because they are my favorite group

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2013 8:30:27 PM PST
PhilV says:
Kay, there is a deluxe version available on Celtic Thunders website, its $29.99 compared to $12.99. It has 31 songs compared to the 20 on Amazon and a 2nd bonus disc with bonus materials.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 7:26:51 AM PST
Helen Ferone says:
I've already received the deluxe version and I was disappointed in it for the first time. It was done live in the Helix in Dublin, and as they boys came out to sing there was dead silence. Usually, when they perform and come on stage the audience goes wild, but not on this DVD. They're very responsive after they sing, but I have to say it's not like that here in the states. The songs were so-so, and I knew very few so I wasn't happy with that. I also notice that Keith does not appear that often, but Neil does which is fine, but is that an indication that Keith will be leaving in the near future? They perform best (in my opinion) when they sing as a group, and have a lot of fun. I would like to see more of that, but that being said, I am a staunch fan of Celtic Thunder, and will remain so, but get back to something like Voyage 2 my favorite. I'll be looking forward to other replies.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 7:07:30 PM PST
Mac says:
I wonder if the reason there is no cheering before the numbers is the sheer number of songs on the deluxe version. Audience reaction seems to have been cut; the numbers run one after the other. They do perform best as a group. Like you, I didn't care for the selection of the music. So-so about covers it! Keith was absent in a lot of the numbers - I noticed that, too. Hmm... I'm puzzled about the theme of the show - the music doesn't fit the theme. I wish they would get back to Irish music and not be so concerned with presenting original songs. Many of the performers have a "second" career as solo artists presenting more modern music. Real fans of Celtic Thunder are well aware of this. In the past, a line has been drawn between Celtic and Modern. Wish they would get back to the division of styles/types.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 10:12:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 10:14:31 PM PST
PhilV says:
Keith was in a lot of them, just as much as anyone else. I saw Keith so much I was stunned as how you figure he was absent for most of the songs. The dead silence was almost like they asked the audience to be silence for effect for some reason as they show the audience sitting quietly. You are right the name doesn't fit the songs they sang, but they didn't fit on Voyage either, so not sure why they are picking these names.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 4:22:13 AM PST
Helen Ferone says:
Keith is usually one of the lead singers but not on this dvd, but that being the case, I didn't know some of the songs are their albums, etc. but the interaction between them all was missing except in a few songs. Part of the joy in seeing them was the enthusiasm when they came out to sing, and the was missing on this dvd. It hasn't changed how I feel about them, but I do think they'll be a lot of disappoint on this one. Actually, both of the Voyage dvds and cds were (and are) my favorites. They've come a long way from their first ones haven't they? This is not a criticism, but only an opinion, and I wonder how many will feel the same way. Keep posted.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 9:46:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 9:52:00 AM PST
Mac says:
Keith was presented differently than in the past. Several songs were by the other five with Keith missing. Perhaps not something a gentleman would notice, but if you watch the way the three girl musicians are dressed, the songs were not in the order they were presented in the actual stage show. There's been a lot of cutting and rearranging done. Artistic license - and I don't fault them for it, just find it interesting. I enjoyed the second disk more than the first. I wonder if those who are buying the Amazon version will fully understand the thinking behind some of the extras. The two young women dressed in the white gowns would have been puzzling to me without the explanation from the second disk. I often use the subtitle feature and on this one I kept getting a strange message tacked onto the end of the subtitles. Perhaps a production note that slipped in. An issue was made (second disk) about the Producer. I believe this and other goofs fall into her area. She may wish she'd not been identified so openly! Yes, Helen, they've come a long way. Other than "Storm", their DVDs have been good. I'm afraid "Storm" reminded me of a high school operetta! Coulter should not have tried so hard! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 10:19:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 3:17:22 PM PST
Mary Anne,

I think there will be a lot of responses similar to ours, but its only an opinion. I bought the double disc from Celtic Thunder so I saw all of it, and without an audience reaction when they appear on stage it seems like they are singing to an empty auditorium. I love it when the audience reacts to them and I think they do also. As I've stated it doesn't change my opinion of them (and I'm well up in years), and I will go and see them if they come to my area, but I do hope they change the program and include other songs besides the ones on this dvd. The only other one I didn't care for was "Storm" like you. If you look further you will notice I take back my slight criticism of this DVD. I viewed it 4-5 times and really like it. As an older person sometimes its harder to get used to songs you don't know, but given time I adjust, and I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 3:05:14 PM PST
PhilV says:
Another thing on Keith...I don't if it was just me or did he look like he was mad the first few songs he performed, later on he started smiling but the first few he just looked like he was ticked off to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 2:35:07 PM PST
DMMD says:
Define Celtic. Does it just stop at some mysterious line in time that only you know about? Celtic nations exist today and are extremely creative and resourceful. As a true Celt i am insulted by your small minded definition of Celtic.
1. Voices - Contemporary Celtic
2. The Isle Of Inisfree - Early 20th century Celtic
3. Carolina Rua - 70's Celtic
4. Carrickfergus - 19th century Celtic
5.Hoedown - Based on Scottish & Irish traditional tunes. (Presumably Celtic)
6. Katie - Contemporary Celtic
7. Star Of The County Down - 19th century Celtic.
8. The Grande Affaire - Popularised by 'The Fureys' (Look them up)
9. Summer In Dublin - Contemporary Celtic
15. Dearg Doom - 70's Celtic Rock based on Trad. tune
16. The Rocky Road To Dublin - 19th Century Celtic
17. Turning Away - Contemporary Celtic
18. House Of The Rising Sun - 60's UK/US rock song
19. Danny Boy - Trad. Irish song.
20. The Edge Of The Moon - Contemporary Celtic
21Seven Drunken Nights - Trad. Celtic
22. Perfect - 80's Celtic
23. Always There - Celtic/Scandinavian contemporary
24. Rock 'N Roll Kids - Contemporary Celtic
25. I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrows - Trad. US folk song.
26. The Thunder Rolls - US C&W song
27. The Boys Are Back In Town - 70's Celtic rock
28. Life With You - Contemporary Celtic
29. Now We Are Free - Film Score (Gladiator)
30. Lonesome Boatman (Finbar Furey - look him up) & Reels - Trad. Celtic
31. My Land - Contemporary Celtic/Scandinavian
32. Rosa - Contemporary Celtic
33. Streets Of New York - 60's Celtic
34. Harry's Game - 80's Celtic
35. Spanish Lady - Trad. Celtic
36. Galileo - Contemporary Celtic
37. Both Sides Now - 60's US pop

Unless you are totally stupid or narrow minded or extremely lazy when it comes to thinking through opinions (my personal choice), you may notice the predominance of Celtic input to this DVD. Do your research next time before talking rubbish.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 3:12:54 PM PST
Helen Ferone says:
"I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow" is actually a bluegrass song and that music is heard throughout the south in the US. I don't think they meant everything to be strictly Celtic or mythical as all of their music is a mix of different cultures which makes them so good. Don't be offended by it and just enjoy their music.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (311 customer reviews)

$14.98 $11.99