5.0 out of 5 stars Part of the American Consciousness, October 5, 2004
This review is from: Schoolhouse Rock! (Special 30th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Schoolhouse Rock is an unusual American cultural phenomenon. Nearly every person who grew up after the late Sixties is familiar with the series. How ubiquitous is it? I would predict that if you started humming "Conjunction Junction," "I'm Just a Bill," or "Three Is a Magic Number" in a room of a dozen people, three-quarters would know the reference and at least a couple would probably join in humming or singing the words.

This is unimpeachable stuff. To say that this 2-disc set is definitive is to do injustice to the word "definitive." EVERYTHING you would ever want to know about Schoolhouse Rock is here. All forty-six cartoons ever done for the series are included, even the "Scooter Computer and Mr. Chips" series that looked at computers. The electoral college toon that was done later is part of this collection, too.

The extras on the second disc are outstanding. In addition to Scooter Computer and the rarely seen "The Weather Show," you get a behind the scenes look at the electoral college song, a Top 20 countdown of the best in the series, a puzzle game that features the songs, four music videos of the songs arranged by contemporary pop/rock groups, a feature on the Emmy Awards won by the series, commentary by the creators, and more.

The navigation design of the DVD is superb. Only want to see the "Multiplication Rock" or "America Rock" toons? You can select the specific series you want, play all within a series, or pick each specific toon from a series. You can also choose to play all forty-six toons or just the ones chosen by fans as the top ones. There's a built-in shuffle feature as well. Every DVD should be this easy to navigate and use.

Even the booklet that comes with this edition is helpful. The lyrics for the top ten toons are included as is the history of Schoolhouse Rock. A chapter breakdown is included at the end of the booklet.

Schoolhouse Rock is virtually impervious to review due to its unbiquitous nature within a whole generation or two of Americans. The cleverness of the animation enlivens the topic discussed, not to mention holding the attention of young children. The songs are exceptionally catchy; I'm still amazed at how they managed to do such a great job marrying the Preamble of the Constitution with a hummable melody. Definitely a reflection of the musical styles of the day, songs like "Verb: That's What's Happening" (done in the style of the soundtrack of "Shaft") or "The Preamble" (70s Folk/Rock) capture the era perfectly. It makes those of us who grew up in those days misty-eyed for a return of that AM radio sound to today's music.

If you have kids (or are just nostalgic at heart), this DVD is essential. I'm using it as homeschool material for our kids. When my son sings the songs, it's great to know another generation will appreciate the merits of Schoolhouse Rock. No question, this 30th anniversary edition of Schoolhouse Rock is truly worthy of five stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2008 11:45:26 PM PDT
Siskoray says:
WOW!!!

Thank you for such an informational comment that truly made my purchase that more intellectually driven and made me feel confident that I had purchased exactly what I was looking for. The Amazon description leaves so much to be desired and your description, going into even the smallest of details about the inclusion of four videos from contemporary artists was perfection. Personally I think Amazon should look into hiring you on a contractual basis to do a work that needs to be done here.

This was just simply put, AWESOME!!!

Posted on Oct 2, 2008 6:17:40 AM PDT
AMD says:
That's so funny that you mentioned "The Preamble" to a hummable tune. I remember as a freshman in high school, my Civics teacher asked the class if anyone could recite The Preamble. Of course, I raised my hand, and then ended up having to sing it because that's the only way I could recite it word for word. Very funny at the time, but I got an A+!

Posted on Oct 23, 2008 6:00:29 PM PDT
N. Turchin says:
I'm actually finding the DVD extremely difficult to navigate. Where is the play all feature? I don't want to "select" every darn song on the jukebox before hitting play.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 8:57:33 PM PST
KSJ says:
AMD: I sang the preamble too and got an A! I wonder how many others of us are out there?

Daniel: Great review. Perfectly put. Thank you so much!

Posted on Aug 2, 2009 10:39:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 5, 2010 11:49:49 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 2:06:21 AM PST
J. Nasdeo says:
I am homeschooling my first and second grader. I pulled them from the school. But my question is does this contain all the cartoon or is it just the songs? We are in our first week of school and finding our routines but how are you adding this to your homeschooling curriculum?

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:53:01 AM PDT
E. Williams says:
I have this DVD. The other individual ones about 6 DVDs like math, science ~ are they included in this? or do I have to buy them separately? I wonder.. I wonder if you know..

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 4:26:11 PM PDT
My ENTIRE CLASS sang the Preamble to my floored civics teacher! The only words he could manage were, "Well, there goes my lesson plan."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (1,122 customer reviews)

$19.99 $12.96
Reviewer

Daniel L Edelen
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Mt. Orab, OH USA