3.0 out of 5 stars Good Inspiration, Snobby Food, February 29, 2012
This review is from: The Modern Cafe (Hardcover)
I really liked the idea of this book, being that it covers all aspects of a cafe. I want to open a bakery, but figured that I should at least consider other options for rounding out the business and making money.
The author gives lots of hints and suggestions throughout the book, but the recipes in the 'savory kitchen' section are really snobby. I'm in a smaller town where octopus salad wouldn't go over very well with my clientele. They seemed more like recipes for a bigger city cafe.
Another aspect of the book that could count as negative was the layout of some recipe sections. When I look at a recipe, I would like to see all steps of said recipe together, even if basic steps are repeated throughout the book. This book will give you a basic overview of the process of goods on one page, and all the recipes on different pages. The directions might say 'make madeleine batter according to creaming method on page xx.' I know this would confuse some people who may not be as adept at baking/cooking.
Overall, the book accomplished what I needed it to, which was to give me some inspiration for my baked goods, and some extra ideas for my retail area.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 7:13:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012 6:54:00 PM PDT
popgirl says:
I felt compelled to respond to your strange review. Keep in mind the title of the book is "MODERN Cafe". I would consider a menu item like Octopus Salad a pretty nice item at a cafe and, if prepared well, would likely do well in my city. If it won't go over well in your area, come up with menu items that will. The book is intended to give ideas to the owner, not have all the answers and come up with a menu for your business. Development of a menu for your cafe is your job.

As for your comment about readers not being able to follow directions because they aren't adept at baking/cooking, the author of the book clearly states in the introduction that he intentionally doesn't give basic education. It's simply not the intent of this book. Someone wanting to open a cafe who would be "confused", as you say, by the creaming method should hire someone who isn't or should think about starting a different type of business.

No one book can be all things to all people and I find it unfair that you would leave negative comments because you didn't read the introduction or because octopus salad won't sell in your town because you and your local residents would find it "snobby".

I personally found the book well written and inspiring. It gave me some great ideas for my business.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 11:57:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 12:01:44 PM PDT
monkeyshines says:
I did not give the book a negative review. According to Amazon, three stars means 'it's OK.' And the book is OK. Reviews are supposed to help other people who may want to purchase an item be aware of what they are about to buy. I did just that. Some people buy books just for recipes, so it's only fair to know that you're going to be getting a book with upscale recipes (octopus salad was only an example). That also applies to the potentially confusing methods/directions.
I also didn't mention that I was looking for a book to give me all the answers. In my original review, I said I was looking for inspiration. I got just that; inspiration. There was nothing unfair about my review.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2014 6:14:11 AM PDT
buddy says:
I thought your first review was very negative, then your second a redundant repetition of your first post. Which was negative. Imagine if everyone who went to your bakery walked out and saying it was "just ok" because they don't like bakeries and they didn't understand how to eat a muffin.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (25 customer reviews)

$65.00 $43.66