5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely powerful battery with a 2.5 amp output USB port! Get back to work or play faster than ever!, August 7, 2013
This review is from: Patriot FUEL+ 9000mAh Dual-Port Rechargeable Battery Power Bank With Output Max. 3.5A ( 1A+2.5A) & 2-Year Warranty For Smartphone& Tablet PCPB90002 (Personal Computers)
Length:: 5:32 Mins

This review is on Patriot Fuel 9000 mAh battery pack. This battery pack is a real powerhouse of energy and in my test results it performed extremely well in supplying a charging current to an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4. It is also designed to allow you to charge two items at the same time. You may need to use your original charging cables for some devices so take them with you if you need them.

Some unique features for this battery are:
* It has a 2.5 Amp output USB port to power the new tablets being released soon and it can charge your existing devices more quickly.
* It has a two year product warranty
* Its rate of charge for your tablets is extremely fast! (See my test results)
* It was designed to charge two devices at the same time while the battery is being charged.
* The battery pack can be charged more quickly with a 2.5 Amp AC wall charger.

It is a great power resource to keep your USB recharged devices operating on those long work or school days or while you are traveling. This battery pack is a powerful source of power and many people like me are power users of their smart phones and tablets and need a battery like this. If you are constantly using your phone or tablet then you know that they will run out of power sometime during the day or evening. If you are not near an AC wall outlet with your charger or in your car with a charger what can you do? It is especially important to have some way to recharge if you are traveling in a plane, in the middle of a school classroom or on a bus or train. In addition many of the newer tablets are real power hungry devices and it takes a lot to recharge them.

Here is a powerful battery pack with two USB ports. It can charge your tablet devices or charge your smart phone and if you want it can do both of them simultaneously. I charged two iPhones at the same time in my testing. One USB output port is rated at 5 VDC and 2.5 Amps and the other one is rated at 5 VDC and 1 Amp. It uses Lithium-Ion battery technology and carries a 9000 mAh capacity. It can output a total of 3.5 Amps at one time. This battery pack will fit easily into a brief case, back pack or a computer bag or a large purse and it weighs 6 ˝ ounces. I have included a video of the battery's features and I hope it is helpful to you.

When I test a battery I do an extensive set of tests that fully charges the battery and then I use it to charge devices and make sure that it is fully depleted when my tests are done. I time each test and document the results as the test progresses. I then calculate the mAh of capacity that the battery supplied and I then calculate its charging efficiency. This process takes from 3 hours to, in very large batteries, about a day for testing. I don't take any short cuts or guess and every battery has these tests performed on it and documented. This is to assure that the battery is tested and it performs well. If a battery has performed poorly I then run the tests again to verify the results.

What's in the box?
* The Patriot 9000 mAh battery pack
* The battery pack comes with an instruction manual
* The battery does not come with an AC wall charger. Use the Micro USB charging tip for charging the battery. You can use a computer USB 2.0 port to charge the battery pack but it is 9000 mAh and it will take a long time to charge. The manual states to use a 2.5 Amp USB wall charger. I used a 2.1 Amp wall charger.
* One charging cable for the battery pack or your smart devices. It is 10 1/2 inches long.

This is a very good product and below I have listed its features and benefits as well as my test data for your review. Please take the time to quickly watch the video and if you have any questions send me a comment and I will try to help you.

The Patriot Fuel+ 9000 mAh battery pack features:
* Powerful 9000 mAh capacity specification
* The unit is compact in size and weighs in at 6 1/2 ounces.
* Attractively designed in a white and red plastic case.
* There are 4 LEDs that indicate the battery's charged state and one LED means 0 to 25%, two LEDs means 25 to 50%, three LEDs means 50 to 75% and 4 LEDs means 75 to 100% of charged capacity.
* There are two USB power output ports. The first USB port is rated at 5VDC at 2.5 Amps and it is the most powerful battery charging port I have seen so far. The other USB port is rated at 5 VDC and 1.0 Amp. I could charge my iPhone 4 in one port and my iPad 3 in the other port.
* You can charge two items simultaneously. You can even charge two items at the same time while charging the battery pack.
* The battery pack can output 3.5 Amps at one time.
* There is an ON button to allow you to check the existing charged battery capacity available.
* The battery uses Lithium Ion battery technology.
* The battery pack can be recharged 500+ times
* Warranty is 24 months

Test charging an iPad 2 to measure the output capacity:
Start iPad 2 at 0% and the Patriot 9000 mAh battery at full charge.
* 30 min 18% and Patriot battery at 4 LEDs
* 60 min 34% and Patriot battery at 3 LEDs
* 90 min 49% and Patriot battery at 2 LEDs
* 120 min 64% and Patriot battery at 2 LEDs
* 150 min 78% and Patriot battery at 1 LEDs
* 180 min 91% and Patriot battery at 1 LEDs
* 210 min 95% and Patriot battery is dead

Test results summary:
* In the first test charging an iPad 2 we got 95% x 6944 mAh = 6596.8 mAh capacity used = 73.3% efficiency.

* I then charged the Patriot battery for one day and then recharged the same iPad 2 from 2% to 99%.
* 97% x 6944 mAh=6735.68 = 74.8% efficiency

Here are some of the mAh charging requirements for common devices:
* iPhone 4 battery 1,420 mAh battery capacity
* Kindle Keyboard battery 1750 mAh capacity
* iPhone 5 is 3.8 VDC at 5.45 Wh = 1434 mAh battery
* iPad 4 battery is 11,486 mAh 3.7 VDC at 42.5 Wh
* iPad Mini battery is 4490 mAh at 3.72 VDC 16.7 Wh

As you can see the battery will not fully charge a totally dead iPad 2 or an iPad 3 or 4 because it contains 9000 mAh of capacity. You have to consider the losses in the charging circuits of both the battery pack and the device you are charging. Energy is lost during the voltage conversion, used by the electronics of the battery pack and your device and by the generation of heat.

Patriot Fuel 9000 mAh battery pack device charging real world experience:
* iPhone 4 or 5 approximately 4.74 full charges out of a fully charged battery pack.
* iPad 2 approximately 97% of a full charge
* iPad 3 or 4 approximately 58.3% of a full charge
* iPad Mini approximately 150% of a full charge
* Kindle Fire approximately 153% of a full charge

* A normal estimated usable storage is 70% of capacity or .70 * 9000 mAh = 6300 mAh charging capacity available for your electronic devices.

* In my testing I was able to use approximately 6735.68 mAh of capacity or roughly 74.8% of the 9000 mAh capacity. This is an very good performance for this battery.

This is a great product and deserves a 5 Star rating!

I received a sample product for evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2013 7:42:48 PM PDT
I would want to be able to charge the two items. Can you tell me if they compatible with this model Patriot: the new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone which has an odd looking charger connection and the original Google Nexus 7 tablet (that came out in 2012). Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2013 1:30:41 PM PDT
jjceo says:
MMR,

Since I don't own either one of those devices and I cant test it than I hesitate to provide a commendation. I can only cay that the output of the USB ports are 5 VDC and 1 Amp and the other is 2.5 amps. I do not know the charging requirements of your devices. Look at your charging AC wall outlets and see if they are 5VDC at what current the output is..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2013 4:09:49 PM PDT
Thanks; I sent an email to customer support and they confirmed it would charge both my devices but since it only comes with a USB-type (micro, mini, or regular) connection I would have to use my own Samsung Note 3 charger with the unit since it is not a standard USB-type connection.

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 3:23:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2013 6:54:29 PM PST
I just bought one, and am impressed with the packaging, which is of Apple-level quality. How do you determine when it has a full charge? I have had one on a 2 Amp charger for about 3 hours. Two blue lights are solid, the third is blinking. When it has a full charge, will all four lights be solid?

Update: After watching the video (and reading the review more closely!) I see that 4 LEDs = full charge. So, I will change my question: Approximately how long should the initial charge take from a 2 Amp charger?

Answering my own question: approximately 7 hours from 1 LED after unpacking to 4 solid LEDs on a 2 Amp charger. As far as I can tell, the unit didn't heat up at all during charging.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2013 3:33:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2013 3:43:20 PM PST
Yes, four solid lights, and it can take up to 10 hours especially the first time. I just received mine Wednesday; I charged it overnight that night and it was at four solid blue lights (full charge) when I got up in the morning. I tested it at work by charging both a Google Nexus 7 tablet and the new Galaxy Note 3 smartphone, both of which I let get very low. It charged both beautifully; when done there was only one solid blue light. When I got home last night that one light was blinking so it was just about depleted. I charged it again overnight last night and it was again at four blue stars this morning. Now it will sit unused and I'll keep track on my calendar to see how long a full charge (4 lights) lasts if I don't use it. (I got it for emergencies as I normally have AC access for charging.) Then I'll know how often to check it to ensure it's always available. By the way, customer service is marvelous. I contacted them through their web site with a pre-purchase question and their response was quick; I've contacted them again as recently as yesterday and still received a very prompt reply. NOTE: it does not come with a USB to AC adapter so you will want to get one; I happen to have a Belkin mini travel size surge protector for my laptop at home that has 2 USB ports so I used that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2013 3:44:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2013 3:56:11 PM PST
Thanks for the amazingly fast reply, which answered both my questions, and more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2013 3:46:06 PM PST
You are welcome, I just happened to be online, but I've done no video review; that must be another customer. I got my Fuel+ at Amazon but have not reviewed it yet. I will in next week or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2013 3:55:32 PM PST
Ah, I see now. The way Amazon threads messages, I inadvertently replied to the wrong person, instead of to jjceo. So, disregard my comment about the review, and I will edit it accordingly. But again, thanks for the informative, fast response. Your use case is mine; this is going into the glove compartment of a car as a source of emergency power while on the road. I have a much smaller Duracell unit that I carry on a motorcycle, which once saved my bacon after a catastrophic tire failure in a remote area, by keeping my cell phone going for 6 hours.

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 3:58:25 PM PST
jjceo : Your written and video reviews are among the best I have ever seen on Amazon.com, and were a major factor in my choice of a Patriot Fuel+ (which is currently on sale at Fry's). Thanks for a very comprehensive review. The only thing lacking is an estimated initial charge time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2013 3:59:25 PM PST
Check mfgr info re placement of item near heat, magnets, etc. I'm in LA, so could never keep it in a glove compartment: we have too many really hot days. It's small so I keep it a side pocket of my purse so it's always with me. I'll probably change that around once I see what works.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

jjceo
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: Greenwood, Indiana