5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Tablet Around, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Acer Iconia A510-10k32u 10.1-Inch Tablet (Olympic Edition-Black) (Personal Computers)
I've bought or used virtually every Honeycomb/ICS tablet made and based on three hours of use, this one is the best of the bunch.

I also considered the Asus Transformer Pad 300, but after the problems I had with the absolutely terrible Transformer Prime and the sketchy ICS upgrade for my original Transformer, I decided to give the new Asus a pass for now.

My A510 came in today and I drove home during lunch to pick it up.

The first thing I noticed is how fast and responsive the A510 is.

The screen is great. The colors are warmer than the A200 and it is very bright. The touch is very sensitive. And unlike any other tablet except for the Acer A200, you can adjust the screen sensitivity from the Display settings screen.

I immediately went outside to test the GPS. After the Transformer Prime, this was a nice surprise. It locked onto 12 satellites in a couple of minutes and located me to less than twenty feet. May have gotten better if I'd hung around, but I learned what I needed.

The WiFi is very fast. Speedtest gave me numbers in the 20 mbit/sec range on download. I've never seen a download speed this fast on a tablet before.

It is VERY fast. It downloaded and installed 71 apps in less than ten minutes.

I ran the AnTuTu Benchmark test and it edged the Transformer Prime.

On the downside, I don't see a way to simultaneously charge it and use the USB connection--not a big deal to me, but it will be to some people.

It does get warm while charging. It isn't hot, just warm. Having the batteries heat up is normal and I don't much care but I have seen a few people mention it online.

Did I mention that it is fast?

I also like the thickness. A little thinner than the a500 or a200, but not too thin like the Transformer prime or iPad 2/3. Seriously, I find the REALLY thin devices to be uncomfortable to hold, but the a500 was just a bit too thick. We are definitely moving into the Goldilocks area of just right for my hands.

And finally, it's pretty darn fast.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2012 7:46:52 PM PDT
DaCoolness says:
Great review. One little question though. When you said " it edged the Transformer Prime" in the benchmark test, did you mean that it was a little behind, a little ahead, or equal in performance?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 8:37:25 PM PDT
Robert says:
A good review, I ordered the Silver one and that is not yet available.

I am concerned about the one BIG negative review that was posted. I suspect the end user did something to cause all that lag.

But if it's true, I have to consider cancelling pre-order.

Keeps us all posted any issues you might have!

Thanks!

Rob

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:53:30 PM PDT
bradhaak says:
Slightly better then the Prime. Not enough faster to be noticable in use, but repeatable across multiple runs of the benchmark.

Another benchmark might give different results, but this is the one I used (I liked the name).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (91 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $325.00