Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Not The Only Way, But One Way, August 4, 2011
This review is from: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (Hardcover)
As the author of The Three Diets Solution and The Path To Mindful Eating: Overcoming Emotional Eating and Adapting The Weight Loss Mindset, I feel well read in understanding good and bad information, and this book is tops for me.

I used to be very fat. Obese. 347 pounds. Okay, not one of the biggest losers fat, but, I had hard times breathing, I suffered from depression, insomnia, nausea, dizziness, constant illness, alergies, joint pain, lethargy, apathy, and just plain old uck. I was 18. When I saw that 347 on the scale, I suddenly wanted to take control of my life, I wanted to lose my weight, I wanted my life back on track... I wanted to be one of the skinny people--or at least, healthy people. But what works. When I was 13 I weighed 230 pounds. My parents spent 17 thousand dollars taking me to nutritionist across the USA. I ate six carb servings a day, following the food pyramid, and got fatter. I tried the atkins diet, but a misreading and mishandling of the material had me urinating fire pretty much by the second week, I tried Jenny Craig, Weight watchers, the bible diet, South Beach, and a host of others. You know what. They didn't work... at least, they didn't keep the weight off. I was fat and there was nothing I could do about it.

At eighteen, I decided I had to do something about it. I went to a bookstore, I spent about half of the money I got for graduating high school on health books, and I went home on a saturday, went to my room, and didn't leave but to use the bathroom. I read everything I could, from nutrition, to diets, to fads, to science, until, I decided on doing a strict diet of basic protein (two eggs in the morning), high vegetables, and fruit. THis cleared up the depression, most joint pain, and the apathy. And, I lost 80 pounds and it stayed off, even when I started back into bad habits for more than a year--pasta, subs, calzones. The problem with the diet is that I was worn out, I had no energy, no strength, and, as I would learn, as I still felt flabby and out of shape, my body was eating my muscle--well some of my fat-about 60-40. My insomnia was still there. I'd go to sleep at 6 or 7 in the morning, wake up at noon time because I couldn't sleep nights, and then by four o'clock I needed another nap--if I didn't get the nap, I still wouldn't sleep until six, but, I'd feel very lethargic through the night, and be unable to do anything.

Enter Gary Taubes and his first brilliant book, Good Calories Bad Calories. It's 2009, I hear about it, I buy it, I read it, and I thought it was interesting. But it doesn't catch my attention, it goes against a lot of what I've researched, and, a lot of what doctors told me. I live in my state of lethargy and insomnia, for a year, just figuring I'm a night person, and that's just who I am. Then, in 2010, I'm at a conference, the only places around serving anything good are sea food restaurants, so for a whole week, I'm ordering some form of fish at every meal--since I was still on my vegetable diet, I wouldn't allow myself to order fries every meal, and so I ordered vegetables. This conference took place in the mornings, and I would be exhausted, lasting until the afternoon, my head was hurting, my stomach was sick, but, after two days of the fish protein, I was wide awake, able to sit up and listen and take notes. By the forth night, I went to sleep for the first time in years before one o'clock and woke up at 6:30 refreshed and feeling good. By the end of the six day conference, I had no afternoon slump, my eyes began losing the bags under them, and I could swear my hair was growing back--I had begun thining at the top, I was 22 for God sakes.

SO, I decided protein needed to be a part of my diet, and, through a usual move through the bookstores, I came upon this book and I got it as a belated christmas present to myself. This year has been wonderful. This book was brilliant, along with Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, Good Calories Bad Calories by Taubes, and The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain. I sleep regular for the most part, my sex drive is up--and with my constantly improving appearance, it gets used--and where in my family, there's a history of cholesterol problems, high blood pressure, and diabetes, my blood pressure became normal for the first time in my life, my cholesterol went from borderline to outstanding, and my blood sugar sits at a perfect 85.

So, why do I say this is not the only way to lose weight. Because, I'm a stuidous student of weight loss, of health, and I take that serious, meaning I research everything, and test it. A diet of natural fruit and vegetables, for the purpose of weight loss is highly effective as well. A diet of just vegetables, no protein, sugar, carbohydrates, or fat, I've personally witness on multiple occasion put cancer--which can be caused by too high of protein--into remission. So, where he says this is the only way for weight loss, one can safely and effectively do just as well, on a natural fruit and vegetable diet. However, such a diet, I think, runs roughly 20 dollars a day. Where as the Paleo diet can be as low as 10 dollars a day.

Sorry for the long review. This is a great book. My energy and continued weight loss is contributed to the works of people like Taubes, Wolf, Sisson, and Cordain. A great documentary that constantly reference this work is Fat Head, worth the watch.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2011 8:37:27 PM PDT
I. IndieCDs says:
Wonderful review and I don't think it was too long at all!

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 2:20:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 4, 2012 2:20:22 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 2:24:26 AM PST
Torie says:
Actually, I disagree about a diet high in fruits and vegetables (the starchy kind) being just as safe and effective.

If you check out the nutrition for most fruits, you will find that they usually consist of at least 90% of carbohydrates. Sure, one apple might not be enough to raise your insulin to excess, and therefore cause your body to store fat. But in order to be sufficiently full, that will be a lot of fruits that you have to consume, which mean you will consume a lot sugar as well. And that's exactly what Taubes argues against, a diet high in carbohydrates, especially quickly digestible sugar. That's exactly what he argues make you fat. I do not think it's safe for you to make that assumption about fruits/vegetables, and give such advice to people.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 9:42:02 PM PST
By what I wrote, I meant to say the Plant Based Diet method which recommends 3 to 6 servings of fruit.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›