5.0 out of 5 stars Returned my top Ultrabook for this... and no regrets, July 22, 2012
This review is from: Apple Macbook Air MD231ll/A 13.3-inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
Before I start this review, I would like to mention that I had an Asus Zenbook UX31A for a week or two before I ordered the Air. The Ultrabook was stellar - most reviewers say it is the top Ultrabook out right now (the MBA technically does not classify as an Ultrabook), but it had some shortcomings that I could not stand. Therefore, I bought the Air instead. Anyways, here is my opinion on the 13" MBA (2012 edition).

Pros:

- VERY thin and light and small
- Looks nice and original, design-wise
- AMAZING trackpad. Seriously... no other laptop has this good of a trackpad. The multitouch gestures are phenomenal and making using the MBA a breeze.
- Chiclet backlit keyboard
- Not that much bloatware compared to the UX31A
- Very fast SSD - great write speeds
- (Related to SSD) Fast bootup and sleep resume times (faster than the UX31A)
- Great Apple warranty support
- Enough hard drive space by stock - I had around 108GB available by stock which is pretty good compared to some other ultrabooks
- Very loud and clear speakers
- Display is not overly saturated
- USB 3.0 ports
- Get the satisfaction of having a Mac ;)
- Ability to dualboot/use Parallels to get Windows 7

Cons:

- The resolution could be higher. The UX31A has a 1080p display, which absolutely murders this. Still, 1440x900 isn't bad.
- Battery life is okay. I get ~6 or 6.5 hours, which is fine, but it really should be higher.
- You own an Apple product, which requires you to either be ignorant or constantly defend yourself. You choose.

Okay well that is my unbiased (I think) review on the Macbook Air. So far I love my choice of returning the UX31A to get the Air. If anyone has any other questions about the Air or comparisons between this and the Zenbook, please comment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2012 12:51:51 PM PDT
Thanks for the solid review. I am in the same boat except I ordered the Macbook Air first. It is on its way and I have been getting cold feet since reading so much about the Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A.

I have been on Windows forever but recently wanted to experience what OsX is all about. Is the resolution worth going with the Zenbook? How about build quality? I have heard that the hinges on the Zenbook are not as strong.

How about performance? I will mainly be using it for web developement and possibly using an external monitor so fast Windowing will be needed.

Thanks so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 1:38:15 PM PDT
Imran says:
Well I loaded up Windows 7 on my Air so to me, the Air is everything the Zenbook was and more. The only thing I "miss" about the Zenbook is the resolution, but I'm not a video editor and I don't heavily watch movies so it's more of a trivial thing to miss. For build quality, I'd say they are about equal. The MBA looks more polished to me because the Zenbook has many different shades of their aluminum on the inside. I also like how the MBA's Apple logo at the front lights up, even though I prefer the Zenbook's spiral design. I didn't have any hinge problems with the Zenbook though. As for performance, I would say they are about equal. The Air has a faster SSD though and it isn't as filled by stock compared to the Zenbook. The processors are about the same too and they both have the same RAM, so it's really not much of a difference. Loading up Windows on the Air, you won't be missing out on anything. One thing though is that the Zenbook MAY have slighter better battery life - nothing too noticeable though. I personally hated OSX until now but I'm starting to like it and get used to it. I have my Windows 7 fall back though on Parallels.

My favorite thing about the Air though is the trackpad. The Zenbook's trackpad comes NOWHERE NEAR in terms of usability and functionality.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 1:53:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 6:52:17 PM PDT
I got my Air today! I agree with you completely. The trackpad is amazing. It is so good it warrants going with the Air in my opinion. I am enjoying Os X so far and find that Windowing is actually really good once you get used to using Mission Control and various hotkey options. I honestly think Os X has a leg up as far as usability goes in the laptop world. I have yet to try out multiple monitors on it however I have a feeling I will still prefer Windows 7.

Thank you so much for your info, it has definitely solidified my decision to keep the Air.

UPDATE

I may now be returning my Macbook Air. If the rumors are true then the Macbook Pro 13 inch Retina will be released in 2 months. I would be willing to pay more for a better screen. Price difference should only be $200-$400.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 2:31:36 PM PDT
Maddy says:
Did you get a chance to install ubuntu/fedora/any linux distro on the Zenbook and check the performance?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 10:53:44 PM PDT
Imran says:
Unfortunately I did not, sorry.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (413 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $559.00