1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, September 25, 2009
This review is from: Best Friends Forever (Hardcover)
I'm about halfway through this book, and it's unlikely that I'll finish it. My problems with it include:
1) The story is not at all believable. I can't imagine, even for a second, that a chief of police, even in a small town, would launch an extensive investigation into a puddle of blood. No body, no injured party filing a complaint, no witness who saw someone get hurt. Just a puddle of blood. And it wasn't even a big puddle. How much time has this guy got on his hands? I also don't believe that Addie would go along with Val's wacky road trip. Nothing we know about her suggests that she would. So, basically, the whole premise is ridiculous.
2) I'm irritated about all of the key plot points that are strategically held back until some later moment in the book. I know it's supposed to create tension, but it was just irritating. It also made it hard to get to know the characters.
3) I don't really care about anyone in the book. Sorry, but they're all so bland, it's difficult.
4) Where's the humor? Jennifer Weiner's strong point is humor. Nobody in this book is funny, or even seems to have much of a personality.
5) It's very predictable. I can't be the only one who knew what the strange abdominal growth was the moment it was first mentioned.
I loved "Good in Bed," but it seems to me that Ms. Weiner's books are getting progressively less entertaining. They mostly have the same themes - there's always a traumatized overweight girl, and a friend (or sister) who is ditzy but has a heart of gold. Honestly, it's getting old. I'm glad I got this book from the library instead of buying it. I doubt I'll even bother to check out the next one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2009 11:54:58 PM PDT
Linda, you've hit the nail on the head with every one of your points. I, too, have found Weiner's books progressively less entertaining and worth reading but I was still curious so I got this one from the library. (Must say that it took a long time,which indicates that alot of people ARE reading her book.)

I'm taking Weiner off my list of authors to read as she just doesn't seem able to come up with original ideas or write a good, readable book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2010 9:56:41 AM PDT
J. Balchin says:
why do things have to be "believable"?? Doesn't anyone have an imagination anymore? And with all the authors and books out there, coming up with 100% originality has to be impossible. Cut them a break....read them for enjoyment, not to find fault.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 9:53:56 AM PST
Betzy C says:
Novel writing 101 - Suspension of disbelief is the reader's temporary acceptance of story elements as believable, regardless of how implausible they may seem in real life. So while situations can be incredibly far-fetched, the author should be a good enough writer to make us believe them anyway. Especially if the writer is a best-selling author asking top-dollar for her stuff. Some authors only release their best stuff and put their crappy stuff aside to be tweaked or tossed. Others just put out everything regardless of quality because their name sells books. It's too bad.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 11:59:36 AM PDT
Blue says:
I so agree! I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book and am debating whether to finish. After reading your review, I'm leaning toward not finishing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2011 12:03:48 PM PDT
Blue says:
J. Balchin--Things HAVE to be "believable"! It's not a failure of "imagination" on the readers part, or people looking for fault, but the lack of quality writing on the author's part. The author needs to either write a story that could ostensibly happen, or write a story so engaging that readers are can willingly "suspend belief." Weiner has done neither in this book, unfortunately.

No police chief in the country would spend precious man-hours investigating a puddle of blood.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 4:05:25 PM PST
Laura W. says:
I could not agree more! I gave up reading this, it was going no where. It was completely ridiculous and I didn't care for Val at all. And I thought the same thing about her "growth"! It was just a boring read, had a good premise to start with and then took a nose dive. Too bad!

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 6:13:17 PM PST
good lord I just happened to read your review a puddle of blood good lord my husband has been a cop for 21 years and dead bodies don't get that much attention hate to say but true! esp the hood he works in
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (292 customer reviews)

$26.99 $19.35