1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon, WHAT'S GOING ON HERE???, March 25, 2010
This review is from: Polaroid Zink Media Photo Paper for Polaroid Pogo Cameras and Printers (Camera)
I have no issues with this product specifically. However, BUYER BEWARE! Amazon seems to be trying to unload it's expired stock by opening the packages, and removing the expiration date on each of the Zink packages inside the box. I ordered the 30 sheet box yesterday, and it arrived today. I had read other reviews stating that the expiration date had been removed but I was hoping this was a fluke incident. Turns out, it's not.

I realize that this product isn't super popular, and honestly I wonder if Polaroid will continue to make this paper at all (they don't have the best track record for "new" products). I assume that they figured the demand for this paper would be much higher, and hence they overproduced it. Amazon had too much stock, and now they're trying to sell what they have left by being sneaky and removing the expiration date.

I will still try the product and see if the paper works despite the fact that it's expired. I sent a formal complaint to Amazon and I suggest you do the same if this happens to you.

Note: I'm a Prime member, and I've had nearly flawless experiences with Amazon.com over the years, so this really is an isolated situation, but I think it's worth publicly explaining it so that other customers don't end up ordering paper which doesn't work. Once again, I will revise this review once I test the paper when I get a chance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2010 2:15:38 AM PDT
C. Chang says:
May I know which vendor did you purchase from?

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 6:34:58 AM PDT
L. Lee says:
I just noticed yesterday, using the Pogo camera for the first time in a couple of months, that the photos had a pinkish cast to them and had lost sharpness. The camera was recharged, so that wasn't the problem. Then I noticed the stickers on the side of the 80-sheet box. I peeled it off, and the film expired in February, 2010. So beware, buyers! Vendors are selling expired film! I love this camera, but I have no idea how to avoid getting cheated on useless film, since the only avenue for purchase seems to be online. Stores don't carry it, at least around here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 6:41:35 AM PDT
L. Lee says:
I checked and I purchased the outdated film from J&R Photo and Computer. I have to assume they are the ones who knowingly placed 2 small white stickers over the expiration date to conceal the fact that they were selling old film/paper that would not produce good photos.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 10:20:41 AM PDT
C. Chang says:
Thank you very much for the reply!

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 11:06:27 AM PST
I just took a look at the 80-pack of zink paper I ordered DIRECTLY from Polaroid. Same issue! Expiration date had been mysteriously rendered illegible - just a few trace markings left. No wonder the paper seems to suck! I feel that the printer is capable of producing much better results on fresh paper. This is my theory. Hopefully fresh paper is obtainable??...

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 4:55:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2011 4:57:16 PM PDT
RBake says:
Reading these reviews it seems that this paper does age and become problematical--how can it not, it IS a chemical. However the Amazon technical details say "non expiring paper". I want to buy this system but cannot because of this unaddressed possible misleading advertising. Copy-Paste from amazon page:
Technical Details
Style: 30 pack
Borderless 2x3 color prints
Zink Inkless Printing Embeds Color Into The Paper
Smudge-proof, water resistant, tear-resistant photos
Peel-off, sticky back photo paper
* 30 pack of non expiring paper *

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 7:49:41 PM PDT
R. Legro says:
Hmmm. Thanks for all the info. However, re the "expiration date" for this photopaper, I checked the Zink firm's web site for information and it says this: "Dating information is typically not located on ZINK Paper pouches. Pouched and properly stored ZINK Paper has a long life."

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 5:11:16 PM PDT
B.L. 597 says:
its not "isolated" as you describe is the problem, systemic? is more like it. albeit unfortunately this seems to be what you get and I thank you for the post as it made my decision to get the actual printer also a "no"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 5:13:12 PM PDT
B.L. 597 says:
its not "expire less" or they would never have put an exp. date to begin with.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 12:47:25 PM PST
John Samwore says:
I contacted polaroid about the expiration date - it seems that it was a problem in their factory. They printed an expiration date on there when they were not suppose to. The stuff does not expire according to a representative.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›