3,013 of 3,040 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart Vs. KitchenAid Mini Choppers, September 25, 2004
This review is from: Cuisinart DLC-2A Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor, White (Kitchen)
When I starting searching for a mini-chopper I was surprised by the huge rating difference between the Cuisinart DLC2 and the KitchenAid KFC3100, so I bought both and did a side-by-side comparison. The only explanation I can give for the ratings difference is that Cuisinart buyers must have higher expectations. For most operations they have nearly identical performance and for some operations the Cuisinart is the clear winner.

Onions: Many Cuisinart reviewers panned its performance here, claiming it made onion purée, but most KitchenAid reviewers praised its onion chopping ability. I found almost no difference between the two. Maybe its an issue with the instructions - for chopped onions you must use a few short pulses. A few more pulses and you get minced onion - more than this and both give you onion puree. I wouldn't say either is great at chopping onions, but both are equally mediocre.

I also tested chopping nuts, and making breadcrumbs with similar results. Both performed about the same for a course chop, although the Cuisinart produced a more even chop on the nuts, but its when you want a really fine chop that the Cuisinart starts to shine. The first reason for this is the grind feature found only on the Cuisinart. This spins the blade in the opposite direction which allows the flat, back-side of the blade to impact the food. More importantly, it redistributes the food, so if you've got a couple of chunks that refuse to be chopped, a short pulse in the opposite direction helps it drop into the blade. For perfect, fine breadcrumbs I alternate between the normal chop mode for a few seconds, and grind for one second.

The other reason the Cuisinart gives a better fine chop is that it does a much better job of cycling the food through the blade. This is a real key when you're working with softer foods like spreads, p‚tés or purees. When I made a cream cheese spread in both choppers the Cuisinart did a far quicker and better job of pulling the ingredients down the center and into the blade. The KitchenAid kept larger chunks bobbing on top. If you're making dips, spreads or baby food, the Cuisinart is the hands-down winner.

On the practical side, both choppers were equally easy to clean. Both have small holes in the lid for pouring in liquids on the fly, but only The KitchenAid has a slot for dry or thick ingredients - if that's important to you. Overall, I found the Cuisinart easier to use for several reasons. First, the Cuisinart blade drops on easily, while the KitchenAid blade is keyed and I found myself turning it several times before it dropped in. Second, the KitchenAid lid must be removed first before you can lift off the bowl, but on the Cuisinart, the bowl and lid can be detached as an assembly. Finally, the Cuisinart blade has a "handle" that extends to the top of the bowl like a popsicle stick allowing you to remove the blade without getting your fingers in the food.

After all my testing, I really can't understand the large ratings difference between these two. Neither is perfect - you'll never get a perfect, even, course chop with things like onions or chocolate, but they do come in handy. For many uses either one will give you pretty much the same results. Because of its advantage with softer foods and its ease of use, I recommend the Cuisinart.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2007 10:56:26 AM PST
Because of your excellent review, I purchased the Cuisinart DLC2 and I am extremely happy with the results. I make pesto sauce with fresh basil leaves. No more basil leaves jumping around on top of the blades. The Cuisinart blades pull the leaves into the blades for uniform chopped pieces. Also, because the blades are in the bowl, removing the pesto from the blades and bowl is so easy. Thank you!

Posted on Jan 15, 2008 1:28:08 AM PST
Kula says:
Wow, thanks for putting so much time into writing a fantastic review! Because of this I bought the Cuisinart and I absolutely love it!! Thank you!

Posted on Mar 14, 2008 7:10:44 AM PDT
M. Taylor says:
I love the review! Good work, Im going to purchase the Cuisinart as a gift for my mom.

Posted on Aug 7, 2008 11:24:50 AM PDT
Shree says:
Thank you for taking the time to research and write an excellent review. I really appreciate it. Thanks

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 3:53:35 PM PDT
JB says:
Thank you so much for taking the time to do the comparison and share. I wish someone had done that for the Cuisinart DLC-1 and saved me the trouble. That model of chopper will not even mash bananas uniformly! And dealing with Cuisinart customer service is so disappointing. They will only replace with the same model...how does that help when the model is a lemon?! I asked for credit towards the purchase of a newer more expensive unit and they told me no. I was willing to pay the difference. Cuisinart lost me as a customer. Wish they had you doing their product testing at the factory!! thanks again!

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 7:01:04 AM PDT
K. Wooten says:
Thank you for your thoughtful review. It sure makes it easier for me to make a choice!

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 2:21:19 PM PDT
mom o'twins says:
Really, this is an independent shopper? Someone who, just out of the goodness of her heart, decides to buy TWO food processors just so she can share the news with fellow shoppers? Seems unlikely. I suspect the hand of Cuisinart in this.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 8:15:44 PM PST
Sylvia says:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a good review.

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 7:48:14 AM PST
Like the other comments, I want to thank you for doing the side by side research and sharing the good attributes of the Cuisinart Mini prep! I'm sold!!

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 5:34:16 PM PDT
Thank you! I went to purchase the KitchenAid, based on a recommendation from a book, for purees/baby food. It was out of stock at the store. I went ahead and purchased the Cuisinart and after reading your review so happy I did. Cant wait to put it to work. Thank you for the taking the time. Us busy moms need all the help we can get :o)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›