1.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY POOR BLU-RAY EDITION OF MY FAIR LADY, November 19, 2011
This review is from: My Fair Lady [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Just watched the Blu-ray edition of My Fair Lady on a 60" HDTV. It looked horrible. Out of focus around the edges, with a disturbing color shift. I then watched part of the film on a twelve-foot wide screen, with a HD video projector providing the image--the same disappointing result--even worse with the larger image. This is an extremely poor transfer of Warner's crown jewel. IT IS SO SAD THAT THE RIGHTS BELONG TO CBS, WHO OBVIOUSLY DID NOT CARE ABOUT THE TRANSFER OF THIS GREAT FILM. If Warner Brothers did the transfer to Blu-ray, "My Fair Lady" would most likely have looked as great as their other recent outstanding work such as "Casablanca", "The Wizard of Oz", or "Gone With the Wind". Twentieth Century Fox did a fantastic job with their Blu-ray edition of "The Sound of Music". I was expecting "My Fair Lady" to look as good as "The Sound of Music". This was a huge disappointment. I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANY OTHER CBS/PARAMOUNT TITLES IN THE FUTURE. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS TITLE! (PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE FILM TRANSFER, AND NOT THE MOVIE). THE MOVIE DESERVES FIVE STARS!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2011 5:00:52 PM PST
BOB SZVETICS says:
Thank you for your review how can a big video company release a blu-ray like this. And also i heard the special features from the dvd 2 disk set are not on this blu-ray. Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 11:43:51 PM PST
Bulldog Bill says:
Dear Robert,

Thanks for your response to my review. After reviewing "My Fair Lady", I discovered that the special features were included on the Blu-ray from the former 2-disc standard definition DVD release. It's still a great shame, however, that Paramount did not care about the quality of this release. I was fortunate to see this film in a theater after it was restored in 1994. It looked and sounded spectacular on the big screen. I was hoping that the Blu-ray release would have duplicated the same quality in a home theater setting. Sadly, it does not. I recently sent an email to CBS/Paramount Home Video, written in a critical--but respectful manner. I asked for a response, but have received none. Typical for a large corporation these days. Also very sad. I'm glad that Jack L. Warner isn't around to see what has happened to his "Crown Jewel".

Sincerely,
William Dobbs

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 5:37:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 6:02:47 PM PDT
P. Philips says:
The full details are here:

Robert Harris wrote: "Nothing about this release has anything to do with economics. A new restoration is not necessary.

It is quite possible that everything has been done properly, and an incorrect master was shipped. Everyone involved with this release must be aware of the huge income that will derived.

Because of that, I'm thinking that this is not short-sightedness, but an error. No one purposefully releases a Blu-ray with far more than half the resolution missing, along with shading and color problems."

It may be that CBS executives were lazy, ignorant and/or cheap! Look at the Star Trek Next Gen Blu-rays. Those they could do right!

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level [Blu-ray]

Go figure!

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 11:09:07 PM PST
R. Kohler says:
Thanks for the review and the heads up about the Blu Ray for My Fair Lady and all its faults. I've just recently gotten a blu ray player and the first thing I thought was I would love to see My Fair Lady on blu ray. The DVD version looked fantastic so I figured that the blu ray would have to be much better. But after reading your review and a lot of the other reviews for this blu ray release, I'll stick with my DVD version until a better blu ray of the movie is released.

Thanks again.