5.0 out of 5 stars Still a discount even when not on sale., May 17, 2013
This review is from: Aliens Colonial Marines Season Pass [Download] (Software Download)
First, I like A:CM yes it doesn't look like the Demo and many improvements are still needed but I have faith and enjoy playing it, and reporting bugs to GBX.
With that said many people hate the game, if you haven't joined any groups yet I would suggest doing so. We all know matchmaker sucks, and joining groups is the best way to find players. If you plan on reading farther I suggest the Reconnaissance group and the Movie Pack group.

The Season Pass includes 4 downloadable content packs.

The three released I feel are worth the bundle price.
So far there has been Bug Hunt, which has been said to be what players really wanted with the OEM game. As Call of Duty shooter game with a money system, the best thing about this game is the increased AI of the enemy, as well as the updated character look as you increase in "waves". Aliens look beefier and become harder to kill, most try it on Recruit and then scale up the difficulty after that. Turrets are your best friend. There is a place in Broadside that I don't like because the enemy are funneled at you. On wave 30 this makes it too easy. I'm not going to say where it is. One of the best things about bug hunt is you have to plan. Should I move this turret, should I open that door? Is it better to buy back in or just wait to be respawned on the next wave? Should I give all my money to a "banker" or be stingy. Team mentality is highly suggested, headsets are too.

The Recon DLC is filled with 3 maps Shipwrecked (which may be played on the Solaco), lighting and fog is very nice here and the variety of places to practice fight or flight provides a placebo of self confidence and everything has a green cast to it. Autopsy, I feel is the most difficult because of it's 5 floors with open stairways and balconies. Nice touches of a past slaughter. You never know when something is going to pop out at you. Also a nice map to play with 2 to 3 players. Grief, is an inside/outside map that offers hope, but once you find yourself outside that may just give you grief. Being a Crusher is a blast here as there. The character modification such as Alien skins, heads, and fatalities offer cosmetic enjoyment. Overall customizations are cool (if you haven't done the achievements for the regular ones), and the fatalities are enjoyable in the long run... they are not as good as AVP, but what they lack in cinematic appearance they make up for in speed. There is also a survivor map that is an outside inside map, pretty fun, and another Escape map which is also outside. These are both hard for me, but I like the survivor better than the Escape one, but I get mixed impressions from players. That's why I made an "Escape & Serviver Group," yes it's spelled that way.

The Movie Pack DLC:
- "The two new Team Deathmatch and Extermination maps feature locations from Aliens & Alien 3 - 'Fury 161' takes place in the run-down prison facility as seen in Alien 3, while `Processor' puts you in the heart of the Alien hive from the Atmospheric plant in Aliens." I like the Fury map, instead of green everything has a red tint to it, and sometimes you can even see normal as the Alien, the map has really high ceilings with minimal obstacles so you can literally run across the length in 3 sections. It's a bloodbath as a Marine with a full group. At one point we averaged staying alive for 8 seconds. It's kind of small if you compare it to Origin, but enjoyable. It doesn't have the mess hall, outside, or all the tunnels that are in Aliens 3. Just 3 levels with enough variety to keep you busy. This could have been great but it's not a full game, it's just a map. Processor is very dark, with steam, tunnels, and walls covered with resin. It has the APC crashed and three levels, but I believe all the dead bodies or on the 3rd level and this only has 0, 1, and 2. This is a great place to play in friends only mode with 2 people or more.

- "The new Survivor map, 'Nostromo', features marines defending themselves against Xenos inside the iconic spaceship from Alien." It's small and I'm not impressed with it. It could have been so much better. There are areas where the alien transition funny. When used with the map from Recon it evens out making you glad you got it with the other maps, but if you only got the Movie pack I think I would be upset. Oh and the cat is in there if you can find it. I wouldn't think this possible while in a game, but I could be wrong.

- "The new Escape map, 'Exodus', is situated on the doomed Sulaco. Marines awaken from cryo-sleep and must navigate their way to escape pods whilst under Xeno attack." This goes back to levels played in Campaign and is very large. As an Alien there are many times where you can get lost, and was the only map I've ever won as a Marine.

The next DLC has been confirmed to be a Campaign map, how big no one really knows but the gearbox forums community think 4 levels. This is just a guess. There has been microscopic fixes (heartbeat when dieing) but no released official patches. Crossing our fingers that the bugs reported to GBX will be fixed by the last DLC. If you are new to the game and can't find players I recommend looking in Guides. Aliens Colonial Marines: the Missing Manual. I have put youtube videos of the maps in there by(wedgeGTX & Woolyninja Gaming)

I recommend joining groups that allow members to schedule their own events. The community is small, but in my opinion it's 50/50 of players that have DLC and those that Don't. But don't take my word for it. Go to both the Steam thread, and GearBox Players threads. Because if you don't have friends finding a game is difficult.

If you think the game is good, I would get it. If you think the game is bad, don't get it. Think about how much you think this game is worth and apply that to the Season Pass, and watch videos to get an impression of what might come later. Only you can decide.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]