4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, saves money and pleases with results, January 20, 2012
This review is from: Celestron T Adapter/Barlow 1.25 Universal (Req. T-Ring) (Electronics)
Most happy with my purchase.

First the minor cons. When I attach my DSLR camera to this T-adapter WITHOUT using the Barlow, it won't focus. I have to use the Barlow for it to gain focus. This, however is not a significant con to me because I always use the Barlow with my DSLR, otherwise magnification is just too low, so I don't really care that it doesn't focus with less magnification, I care that it focuses perfectly with 2X magnification. Then the second negative issue is that the adapter itself fits a little loose in the focuser, I feel as if it could fall off with the weight of the camera even after tightening the screws... but truth is that it hasn't fallen off and I have even moved the telescope from one place to another with the camera still on it.

Now the significant pros. The Barlow is spectacular. It works perfectly as the Barlow for any regular eyepiece, it just screws on to the eyepiece and its magnification is doubled. When I bought this I was actually tempted to buy another Barlow only for eyepieces thinking it wouldn't work as I wished (although I knew it was compatible), but I gave it a shot and bought this one only to try it out. It was the best decision, a true money saver. Because of the price of this product I though that images would definitely degrade on some level when using it on regular eyepieces... but until now I do not see any degrading whatsoever. They remain as crisp and perfect as they were without using the Barlow. Additionally, although (as I have said) my camera won't focus when I don't use the Barlow, when I DO use the Barlow with it (which is always) I can even focus on close land objects (500 feet or even less). I was not expecting this, but this allows me to take pictures not only of star (primary use), but even close-ups of the surrounding Andes mountains (review written from Ecuador, South America).

To me this is a true "2 in 1" product, I completely recommend it to anyone looking for a T-adapter for their DSLR. I would have given it a 4.5 if I could, but the two mentioned cons could be worked on by Celestron for it to be a perfect 5/5 to me.

PS. Equipment used with this product: Dobsonian Orion XT6 telescope; 25mm and 10mm plossl eyepieces; Sony Alpha A55 DSLR with T-Mount.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2012 1:55:08 AM PDT
MM says:
Hello, I'm hoping you can help me with a novice question. I've attached the t-adapter and ring once before to my Celestron Travel Scope and it seemed to work fine, but now that I'm trying it again I can only see things upside down and out of focus.

It's bewildering me because even without this add-on I am only seeing upside down through my Celestron, with any attached lens.

Can you tell me what I'm leaving out here?

Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 1:54:07 PM PDT
acevallos says:
Hello... Well, I should start by saying that I'm no pro either! Now, to be quite honest, as far as I understand, I am actually surprised that you were ever able to see things upright in the first place... You see, because of the way lenses work inside the telescope, you always see things upside down (in refractor telescopes like yours... in reflector telescopes you see them with a 225 degree twist and inverted sideways!). To be able to see things upright, you usually need to get an additional correcting prism (like this one from Orion: http://www.amazon.com/Orion-45-degree-Correct-Telescope-Diagonal/dp/B0000XMYEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347480093&sr=8-1&keywords=correct+image+diagonal). Now, from what I know of Celestron's Travel Scope, I think it is designed to be used both as a telescope and as a spotting scope, and if this is the case, well spotting scopes usually have inner built-in prisms that twist image upright, but even with spotting scopes you usually see things inverted sideways (left is right) - but I don't think this is the case because as I said this would be built-in and you would not be able to take out or forget to screw back in. So, I'm not really sure how you were able to see things upright in the first place.
I am guessing that when you first used it, you maybe did it with sky objects? In night sky objects you don't really notice the image is inverted because you don't have a clear reference of what is "up" and what is "down". This would also help explain the fact that you are currently having problems to focus, because depending on the scope, you might not be able achieve focus on land objects using your camera. So it's just my guess that maybe when you first used your equipment you did it with night sky and you probably didn't notice they were upside down and you had no problem focusing. Now that you've experimented on land objects you are having difficulties focusing and you notice the images are inverted.
Anyway, there are two possible solutions to see things upright. First it's to use an image corrector like the one mentioned above, and this would work well for both eye-viewing and camera. However, a much simpler solution is to just turn your camera around until IT sees things upright - basically you just twist the camera until it's upside down (of course this doesn't help for eye-viewing). For the focusing, you might want to try an eyepiece extension. This gives you extra distance between your eyepiece and your telescope lenses to try to gain focus (this is not a certain solution, you'll have to try it out and see). Here is an extension tube again from Orion: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000XMUH8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&smid=A1MX591ICBLWRE). Please don't think I am an Orion salesman, haha. I just happen to know these two accessories from this brand, I am not too sure what Meade or Celestron offer for this, but they probably have something too.
Anyway, hope this information helps!

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 2:27:47 PM PDT
Hey thanks. This is what I was looking for...something telling me I can get this to work...I was having same issues with focus with just a straight t-adaptor. Going to check into return/exchange, or just by a barlow and eat the cost difference. I'll subscribe to this comment thread and reply when I get it updated. For now I was able to make it work a bit putting the 10mm eyepiece "into" the set-up. Will be interesting how it compares.

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 11:59:16 PM PST
Vamphaery says:
Thank you for the informative review, and greetings to you in lovely Ecuador from California in North America!

Question: Have you used this adapter and barlow with prime focus on the XT6 Dob you mentioned? And if so, how is the imaging with your DSLR when using single exposures stacked? I ask because my DSLR does not have an intervalometer and so I would have to rely on just stacking single exposures, darks, and biases taken via my DSLR in prime focus attached to the Dob. Just want to know how feasible this is if possible.

Primary use intended would be planetary and lunar photography, low quality is okay. I just want to be able to do it at all, irrespective of quality. :) Thanks again and clear skies and good seeing to you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›