5.0 out of 5 stars Too scary to watch, and too good not to!, May 18, 2011
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Season 1 (DVD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I would not describe myself as a zombie fan. That doesn't mean I don't occasionally get lured over to that territory through popular culture or a particularly irresistible bit of story-telling. I have no cable television in my home, but even I'd heard enough buzz on The Walking Dead to be intrigued. After all, it's the same network that brought us Mad Men, and I've been hooked on those DVDs for years. Still, as scary as 60's-era advertising execs are, I wasn't sure I was prepared for zombies. I called my buddy Jimbo and asked, "Will The Walking Dead be too scary for me?" His answer: "Yes. But you have to watch it anyway for the story-telling." As usual, Jimbo was right on both counts.

In the extended pilot episode, a Georgia sheriff's deputy is shot in the line of duty. He eventually awakens, scruffily bearded, in the hospital after an unknown period of time. He is still weak, bandaged, and disoriented. Is he really awake at all? Because he's awoken alone in a nightmare world. The hospital is deserted, and there are terrifying signs of violence everywhere. The morgue has been locked down tight, but there are... things behind the door. Outside, he finds dozens of decaying bodies lined up like logs. So begins Rick Grimes' odyssey in a wholly changed world. Eventually he meets other survivors who explain that the dead have risen and who give Rick the basic info on this brave new world. His only immediate goal is to survive and find his wife and son.

Enough can not be said about the quality of this television series. From performances, design, special effects and makeup, writing, and direction, this series on the small screen rivals anything you'd see on the big screen. I don't believe I've ever seen the horror genre treated with such respect and intelligence. The Walking Dead won't appeal to a universal audience, but there is simply no denying how good it is.

The first season DVDs contain a mere six episodes, but they include a nice variety of DVD extras ranging from several making of-style documentaries to a how to achieve zombie makeup tutorial for Halloween. I was disappointed by the lack of commentary tracks, but hopefully they'll be included next season.

Yes, Jimbo was right. This show is way too scary for me. I watched these episodes one at a time, with the lights on, and not before bed. They truly scared me to the point that I could barely continue watching them. I was cursing Jimbo the whole time and swore that I would not be watching season two. But by the time episodes five and six were viewed, I knew it was hopeless. I'm hooked. I need to know what's going to happen next, but I dread finding out!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2011 2:27:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2011 2:29:32 PM PDT
Araminta says:
My sister loves this series, as she is a fan of the zombie genre. I haven't yet seen it but you make a great case for it, although the opening scene you describe in the pilot sounds almost identical to the opening of "28 Days Later", another "zombie" apocalypse film made about 8 years ago (in it, they are not truly zombies people infected with a rage virus which turns them into raging berserkers and anyone who is bitten by one becomes one), where a guy wakes from a coma in hospital to a deserted London. All the same, "The Walking Dead" sounds interesting and, since it is filmed in my hometown, I may give it a shot. Excellent review!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 1:02:14 PM PDT
Susan Tunis says:
I just realized, Araminta, that I neglected to respond to your comment and thank you for your kind words. It's funny, I did see 28 Days Later years ago, but I have no recollection of the scene you've described, whereas there are others that are crystal clear. Getting old is a sad thing, LOL.

As for the show filming in your town, how cool is that? We like to put on the occasional zombie flashmob out here in San Francisco, but you guys get Hollywood style zombies! Thanks for sharing, and I hope you enjoy the show if you check it out. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 1:11:24 PM PDT
Araminta says:
No worries re late response! I still have yet to watch this show. My schedule is so varied that it's difficult to plan anything as far as watching a show. I've read a book recently called "Autumn" about zombies and it was just okay, nothing special. Again, I think the author must have been a fan of "28 Days Later" because there are similarities in plot, and it is set in England - although the zombies are of the slow-moving variety. I may have had enough of zombies for the nonce, but recently read a very good werewolf tale called "Overwinter". Soon enough I'll move on to more literary pursuits!

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 12:59:31 PM PDT
Ravan says:
LOL! Everytime I watch this series, I get nightmares, or my sleep tends to be disturbed.
This is a great show, can't wait for season 2, and for them to release it on dvd next year so the bad dreams can continue on a larger scale...have a great day!

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 6:37:19 PM PST
mom2twoboys says:
A fun review I can totally relate to, but is is super gory and is there nudity in it? I'd love to watch something with hubby and possibly oldest teen son, but don't want scenes that make mom uncomfortable ;0)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 5:49:02 AM PST
There really isn't any nudity in it, although it has sexually suggestive themes at a few points.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 6:45:57 PM PST
Anja says:
Aaack! Dang it, now I'm gonna have to watch this, but I'm scared to! ;) I lost my taste for horror, violence, and any sort of a good scare beyond Alfred Hitchcock a long time ago, if I ever had one to begin with, but I can't resist a good storyline and a winding tale of woe, so I hope it's worth putting myself through the psychological upset. Usually anything demonic is what really gets me, including soul-less types, living or dead, going after the rest of us with gusto. *shiver*
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (2,068 customer reviews)
 (1,691)

$39.98 $16.49
Reviewer

Susan Tunis
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: San Francisco, CA