5.0 out of 5 stars Y - Because we LIKE YOU! :), November 18, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (Video Game)
I'm a lifelong Mickey Mouse fan (who grew up watching the Mickey Mouse Club in the 70s!), so this game was a "must have" for me.
So is it a good game? In short: absolutely!
Is it like Castle of Illusion for Sega Genesis? Sort of.
Is it good for all ages? I'd say maybe 6 or 7 and up?

So here is the long version of my review:
The game starts out with hoards of long, cumbersome dialogue that seems to go on forever. That will practically put you to sleep. But be patient because beyond that, the game starts right off into platform action and is quite fun. The funny thing is, I am NOT a platform game player - I do not like or buy them except on rare occasions. But this game, being Mickey Mouse, drew me in, and I'm very glad it did.
It's difficulty so far (I have made it a couple worlds into the game), is not too hard for me. But there's some areas that might cause frustration for others. My 30 year old platform game loving sister even got stuck at one point. It really comes down to a matter of patience, paying attention to instructions given throughout the game, and your problem solving skills.
For those who played/enjoyed the original Castle of Illusion game, this will not be a complex game for them. This game is actually easier, IMO. There are certain types of jumps you have to perform on top of enemies to get to higher platforms which requires perfect timing, and that is one area that I think very young children might have an issue with. Aside from that, the game is a lot of fun all around. I like that there is some problem solving involved to advance through certain areas. Such as, painting this, or erasing that (which requires you to use your stylus on the touch screen to trace a line around an object, or color in an object), and then objects on the top screen will react accordingly to help you in your adventure. It's quite innovative and I really like that feature a lot.

As far as it's similarity to Castle of Illusion...
It has the same sounds in some areas (which is awesome, that they did that after 20 years!). Like when you jump on enemies, it makes the same sound. Some of the levels have a vague visual resemblance that I have seen so far. Being that I have not yet come close to finishing this huge game, I am sure there is more that will remind me of Castle of Illusion. Some of the original characters from that game have shown up already too, plus many others from the world of Disney.

One of the things I love most about this game (and most other Disney games I have played) is how beautiful it looks. I played it both on my 3DS and 3DS XL (preferring the XL for this), and the visuals are just awesome. Mickey Mouse himself is adorable and well articulated, and his movements are smooth and fluid throughout the game. The backgrounds are colorful and well detailed, as are the foreground objects. I love the nod to many familiar & favorite Disney movies & characters that are found throughout the game, whether they simply make a cameo appearance, or have a whole world centered around them. This game is soooooo Disney.

There's also an area where you talk to characters that you free within the game, and they send you on quests, and you can unlock stuff, and build the world up so expansively.

I think this game is a lot of fun, and I cannot even imagine how long it will take to get to the end of it. I very much enjoy playing it, finding the moderately easy difficulty level to be just right for this 40 year old gamer who likes games to be uncomplicated and to be very entertaining and relaxing.

I think this game is a perfect choice for most any Mickey Mouse or Disney fan (male, female, young, or old). It's also good for fans of platform/adventure games, especially if you want something fun & not violent or obnoxious. It's cute and cheerful and really unique in the library of 3DS games right now. I highly recommend it. I'm very glad I bought it, because it's a truly excellent game. :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 1:42:45 PM PST
Marie1964 says:
While I do like Disney, I was wondering about how involved the platforming aspect was since I'm not the best at timing, or platforming in general. (I know it's a platform game, but I was also intrigued by the paint/thinner concept.) I would like to thank you for including this sentence: "There are certain types of jumps you have to perform on top of enemies to get to higher platforms which requires perfect timing."

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:43:02 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 18, 2012 1:44:10 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:43:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 18, 2012 1:44:01 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:18:23 PM PST
Tina says:
There is a downloadable demo for this game for free on the Shop Channel or whatever it is called. That is where I tried it from, it is beautiful and pretty, but I did get frustrated when I got stuck and my 7 year old bailed me out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:29:29 PM PST
Unfortunately I don't have Wi-Fi internet. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:32:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 11:10:32 AM PST
J. Brown says:
The platforming is moderately challenging in worlds one and two and supposedly more so in the final (3rd) world. I haven't reached the third world yet, but from what I've played it's been a fun challenge. Not so hard that you'll tear your hair out, and no so easy you fall asleep. This is coming from someone who grew up with the original Castle of Illusion.

As for the perfect timing question, it doesn't nearly need to be "perfect". She's referring to hitting the jump button a second time when you're close to an enemy in order to bum stomp him. If you hit it when you're very close, you'll be sprung high into the air.

If all that is turning you off, I'd suggest giving Adventure Time a try. The focus is more on action than precise platforming. I'm playing it now and if you like Zelda, you'll love Adventure Time.

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!! - Nintendo 3DS

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:53:26 AM PST
Marie1964 says:
I am a Zelda fan, but hadn't looked into Adventure Time since I don't watch the show. Is knowledge of the show necessary to enjoy the game?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 10:24:33 AM PST
J. Brown says:
I only started watching the show a couple weeks ago when I heard about the game. Certainly not necessary to have seen the show to enjoy the game, it's funny even if you don't know the characters.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (102 customer reviews)

$19.99 $15.20