4.0 out of 5 stars Monster vs. Belkin: close call, but price and number of outlets shouldn't be the deciders., August 29, 2008
This review is from: Monster Cable MP AV 800 PowerCenter with Surge Protection (Electronics)
[Since the following was written, the price difference between the Monster and Belkin (both approx. 25) has become decisively gaping (20 and 35), making the Belkin the only sane choice.}

Monster is premium quality at a premium price. Musicians will pay more for a Monster patch cord than some folks would pay for an electric piano. But on closer inspection, this power strip is competitively priced. I recently purchased a 12-outlet Belkin strip at only several dollars below this Monster strip. But the Belkin would accommodate only 8 of my plugs because 6 of the receptacles are in a vertical row (with the ground holes on the inside, not the outside as is the case with Monster). Consequently, a right-angle plug took up the space of 3 receptacles, in effect reducing me to the same number outlets as this Monster.

Even so, why not save several bucks and get the Belkin? Two compelling reasons in favor of the Monster (the included HDMI cable isn't one of them): 1. The color coding is a thoughtful timesaver/frustration eliminator (how many times have you found yourself on the floor suddenly at a loss about which device connects to which receptacle?) 2. The well-illuminated surface tells you at a glance whether the unit is connected and receiving power (Belkin units have too few or zero lights, requiring the user to get down on all 4's to determine whether the problem is a loss of power to the strip).

I'm giving it 4 instead of 5 stars because only 3 of the 8 outlets are dedicated to those space-robbing power adapters (wall-warts). Count on the remaining 5 outlets accommodating no more than 2 additional power adapters.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2009 3:42:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2009 3:44:04 PM PST
I made a comprehensive study of surge protectors (I have an Electrical Engineering degree) while I was in the computer business, and I found nearly all to be bogus. Cheap (<$100) surge protectors use a passive element that, given a surge large or long enough, will break down and then pass the remainder to your precious electronics. The only brand I ever found that really worked was made by Transtector, which uses a patented proprietary switching device that FAILS OPEN CIRCUIT. Expensive, as things that actually work tend to be, but a lot cheaper than a new HDTV!

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 8:57:53 PM PDT
Gordon says:
I have owned Belkin surge protectors before. I used to buy them exclusively until I bought a plasma screen and my first Monster surge protector. I then switched all of my PCs and devices to Monster products. From my experience the Belkin products aren't as well made and that difference is more apparent as they age. The Belkin products all developed loose wires and started overheating. I threw them all out obviously. All my Monster products still function safely and as good as the day I bought them. They have really won me over.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 9:56:04 AM PDT
Caponsacchi says:
I find it hard to make a blanket statement about either company. Belkin has made lots of great stuff in my experience. Monster is famed for their instrument (music) cables. But I found the Monster Clarity and iClarity BT speakers woefully inadequate, quickly distorting and not putting out any bass. I paid $55, which was too much. Now I'm seeing them going for as hi as $100 each.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (366 customer reviews)

$49.99 $39.99
Reviewer

Caponsacchi
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: Kenosha,, WI United States