4.0 out of 5 stars A Good, But Flawed Debut Novel By A Potentially Top-Notch Thriller Writer!, April 27, 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Paperback)
I won't provide a summary of the plot in my review as this can be obtained in the Book Description on Amazon, Goodreads, etc. I'll just say that what starts off as a very challenging murder investigation turns into a break-neck race against time by the former head of a secret US government organization to try to stop a terrorist attack that could bring the US to the brink of disaster. To say more than this runs the risk of providing spoilers or, at a minimum, to potentially detract from your ability to find out for yourself what occurs in the book.

After reading the first 100 or so pages of the 624-page Kindle edition of I Am Pilgrim, I was sure that this book was on its way to receiving a 5-star rating from me. However, the next 400 or so pages were so descriptive of every move and thought by the "good guy" and the "bad guy" with little action and thrills occurring on these pages that I often found myself just "eyeballing" many pages, with the hope that the book's pace would fulfill my ingoing expectations for an action-packed thriller. A more secondary issue I had with this book is that, while it was very descriptive of many elements pertaining to the main characters' behaviors and attitudes, it did not provide me with a strong enough sense of what they LOOKED like so that I could form a picture of them in my mind. As such, they came off as sort of "faceless" people to me.

Ultimately, my expectations were fulfilled in the last 75 pages or so -- and I Am Pilgrim fulfilled my expectations during these pages in a BIG way! I found that I couldn't turn these last pages fast enough to find out how the book ended. As a result of its final pages, my overall rating which I initially thought was going to be 5-stars, and then dropped to what I thought would be no more than a 3-star ("It was okay") rating, wound up earning a 4-star ("I liked it") rating overall.

If you think this "up and down ride" with I Am Pilgrim would be a problem for you, than I suggest you definitely save your time and money and read something else. However, if you think that its exciting conclusion would override the flaws mentioned above, than I think I Am Thriller is one you'd enjoy. And, if the latter is the case, I think you'll agree with me that first-time novelist, Terry Hayes, has the potential to eventually become a top-notch thriller writer. I, for you, will be looking forward to reading his next book, which I expect will feature the same main character.

I received an e-copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in return for an honest review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2014 12:34:12 PM PDT
David Keymer says:

Posted on May 11, 2014 9:56:03 PM PDT
J. Norburn says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2014 4:41:35 PM PDT
Bobbewig says:
Actually, Jeff, this book probably will be carried by your library, as it is scheduled to receive a major publicity campaign once it is released in the US.

Posted on May 17, 2014 9:13:59 PM PDT
Burgmicester says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2014 10:16:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2014 4:56:26 PM PDT
Bobbewig says:
This book is projected to be one of the big bestsellers for the Spring/Summer, Burgi. I liked it but I don't know if you would.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 1:30:16 PM PDT
RGNC247 says:
Agree with you on the descriptiveness, but I think the "faceless" aspect was intentional. These are two guys who spent their lives trying not to be noticed.

I felt like you could tell he was a movie writer in many places. Wonder if he left the characters faceless to leave open more casting options for the movie version?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2014 9:01:05 PM PDT
Tom McGee says:
Wow! This is a fair and balanced review that seems more credible than most reviews that I have read. You wrote a great review, Bobby! You get my vote if amazon.com allows it.

Tom
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (2,408 customer reviews)
 (1,813)

Used & New from: $9.99
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Bobbewig
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Location: New Jersey, USA