Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A religious experience..., May 24, 2011
This review is from: Destroyed (Audio CD)
Let me explain the title line...if you have the time...

I first heard Moby circa 1993 when a friend played me his 'Move' EP. I was diving headlong into the world of the rave culture and Moby was well known in this culture. I fell in love with his music immediately. His 'Ambient' disc and 'Everything Is Wrong' were albums in heavy rotation during a period of serious soul searching. There was something transcendent, ethereal almost, in the way he was able to craft a song.

I smiled as his music became hugely popular and ubiquitous (you know, the 'oh, you're just discovering him' kind of thing). His amalgam of old gospel songs and catchy electronica was, at the time, cutting edge. After his '18' release, however, I had moved on to other sounds and dabbled in his music at best, though I found the 'Hotel' album to be a move forward as he added more and more vocals.

Anyhow, when I read the blurb on the late night, isolated insomniac vibe of this album somehow I just knew...

There is a melancholy sound that is a throwback to his early works yet the changes and growth of his later releases are meshed into one here sounding comfortable yet completely fresh. It feels highly personal and mature, pensive yet peaceful. He creates beautiful, sometimes sad, sometimes blissful, orchestral electronic music that gets into your headspace and takes you places.

I'll leave out the details but I had an epiphany of sorts while listening to this album and as the epiphany deepened (at 70+ mph on the highway, mind you) as 'Lacrimae' played it felt like a religious experience. Deep, deep bliss.

The album is best absorbed as a whole, as an experience, headphones or long drives late at night highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2011 5:56:40 AM PDT
davip says:
I'm really quite surprised that you speak of religion and epiphany as a result of listening to this tepid techno (deservedly panned, to my mind). If you can see past the non-intended insult, can I suggest that you listen to almost anything non-symphonic by Arvo Part -- there's real spirit and epiphany in this music, and I'm as secular as they come...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 10:47:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 10:48:41 AM PDT
A. Ort says:
I've been a techno fan since the early 90s so it is a part of my makeup. Context is everything. What is 'religious' for me may not be for someone else. All cool and good.

I do have some of Arvo Part's stuff stuff and enjoy him immensely, as do I many of the musicians who fall under the 'modern classical' tag (John Tavener, Ludovico Einaudi and Murcof come immediately to mind).

Secular or not, music is a reflection of the longings of the human spirit and thus its universal appeal and diversity of expression.

Posted on May 7, 2012 5:15:37 PM PDT
P. Mukherjee says:
Wow! One of the best reviews I read on amazon. I'm a huge Moby fan but hadn't listened to this album until now. Your review in particular made me listen to it. I agree with everything that you wrote. It is a throwback to his earlier works. I have always tried to search for the right words to describe Moby's music. "A religious experience" kind of nails it, especially for albums like this one or "Everything Is Wrong", "18" or "Play".

"For those long, dark nights, yet blissful in a melancholy kind of way, his music was the perfect fit." - how true.

Thank you for writing a great review for a great album.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›