4.0 out of 5 stars Quick impressions, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 9 NP900X3D-A01US 13.3-Inch Premium Ultrabook (Silver) (Personal Computers)
Update 11/28: I woke up this morning and notice the body was cold, so definitely is metal, not plastic. The SSD is Sandisk U100, I've run some benchmark and it doesn't perform that well, is not slow but is not the fastest one. Maybe I'll upgrade when prices come down. I made a backup of the recovery partition using the pre installed Samsung backup software and then deleted that partition, it gave me an extra 20gb of free space. I'm bumping the rating to 4 1/2 stars.

-The screen is beautiful, very bright and good color reproduction.
-Wi-fi signal is strong and I haven't experienced dropped connection.
-I haven't used the touchpad that long because I always use a mouse but I tested and it works better that others I've used.
-The keyboard is accurate and it feels nice to the touch, the backlight is soft, you can barely see it with lights on. I wish it was brighter.
-There's a little to none noise fan, it gets a little hot on the bottom.
-Speakers sound surprisingly good for such a thin machine.
-I can't comment on battery life yet but I think I can squeeze +6 hours from it.

Performance: Before purchasing I knew that the processor was the previous generation (sandy bridge), but reading online I found out that the speed gain between generations is 15% for the CPU and 30% for the GPU, since I don't play games it doesn't bother me but you should keep in mind that the graphics are better on the new generation. Windows experience index score are:

-Processor 6.4
-Memory 5.9
-Graphics 3.8 * 4.3
-Gaming graphics 5.1 * 5.9
-Hard disk 7.5

Just to compare I'm currently using a Vizio thin and light with an Ivy bridge i3-3217U processor 1.8 Ghz and the scores are:

-Processor 6.3
-Memory 5.9
-Graphics 5.3
-Gaming graphics 6.4
-Hard disk 7.4

Overall I'm happy with the performance and the looks. I got it for $800, I don't think I would pay more than that.

Update: I've run the test again after I played with the graphics card settings and got better results. The new score is next to the old one so you can compare.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 12:10:01 PM PST
T (Tobias) says:
Thanks for actually opening up the box and using it before posting a review and not a rant.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:10:04 AM PST
You're welcome!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:19:09 PM PST
Ryan Teves says:
I just bought this, Can you provide details on what you did with the graphics card to boost its performance?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:07:21 AM PST
Gnouel says:
Right click on the desktop and go to graphics properties>power and select maximum performance, then go to power options and use high performance plan. Your windows experience index score should improve for the graphics.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:34:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 29, 2012 10:44:14 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:44:45 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 29, 2012 10:45:35 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 1:22:52 AM PST
D. Hejl says:
Hmm, I did the things mentioned above and had no improvement.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:14:01 AM PST
Parker says:
Does your screen flicker when it goes from dark to light? It is is a bright flicker. I don't have a AC adapter connected, but the screen seems to flicker when it changes brightness.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 3:03:09 PM PST
Gnouel says:
It doesn't, the laptop has a light sensor and it adjust brightness according to the amount of light in the room, that option is enabled by default I think. Try turning it off maybe that will work. Go to power options>change advance power settings>display>enable adaptative brightness and turn it off.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (85 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $699.99